Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DIY Highlight hell

(13 Posts)
Peckarollover Sun 13-Mar-05 09:20:08

I have natural dark blonde hair that I have always coloured blonde/highlighted. Last two colours I had done (by hairdresser) have been brown with the odd bit of blond. My hairdresser isnt well so, sick of roots i got a friend to DIY highlight it yesterday - thought it was ok when we first did it but now Im thinking I definitely look better brown and its a bit brassy.

Dare I put a brown home colour over the top?

Cristina7 Sun 13-Mar-05 09:27:26

I think it's OK to do so, unless the first colour was henna or other herbal ones (unlikely if it was blonde). I had a colouring disaster when my hair turned carrot red and I used a brown on top and had it cut too, for good measure. Maybe if you give it a couple of days you'll get used to the new colour. I always pine after a perfect red tone for me although I know that I look best with brown or black hair.

charleypops Sun 13-Mar-05 15:45:23

If the highlights are very blonde, you're supposedd to replace the red first, otherwise if you just whack a brown or dark blonde over it, it could go greeny. What I've done in the past with these sort of brassy highlight situations is just buy a semi, (like Shaders, I think), or a wash-in wash-out darker colour (a warm brown with a bit of red in it) then using my fingers, carefully pick out the brassy bits and run the colour just through those. Leave it for a while (any time is ok I found for a non-permanent) then shampoo as normal, either your whole head or just the highlights. Then dry. I used to find this worked really well and in a week or so the highlights had really settled down. Colour you put on might wash out a bit, but it definitely takes the brassyness off

bunny3 Sun 13-Mar-05 16:47:05

Same happened to me last year - my mum gave be some horrendous brassy streaks and I did rush out to Tescos late that night to buy another colour. It worked well, covered all the brass and suited me much more.

lilsmum Sun 13-Mar-05 16:51:36

peckarollover, just make sure you get a chestnut/auburn any brown with red in it, DONT get a natural or ash brown, as it will go green for sure (i am a hairdresser, i know!!)

Peckarollover Sun 13-Mar-05 17:59:10

Ooops not sure if I have bought the right thing then - I have bought dark golden brown. Will that be ok? It is a feria colour - I havent done it yet, bit scared but Im now totally determined to get rid of this colour - its looking yellower by the hour!

charleypops Sun 13-Mar-05 18:38:57

Would it be easy to change it tomorrow? They should do it straight away if you have the receipt. Otherwise, squeeze a tiny bit out onto your finger or a bit of white paper to see if you think it's reddish at all. If it is it should be ok.....then do just one highlighted bit and have a good look at it in the daylight and see what you think? Might be difficult to tell though with just a few strands.

Peckarollover Sun 13-Mar-05 18:43:01

Ive pulled a chunk (!) of the highlighted bit out and Im doing a strand test.

I dont like red tones in my hair - is that the only way its going to work?

charleypops Sun 13-Mar-05 18:54:35

The red's just so it doesn't go green. It shouldn't actually look red, you've just got to experiment really. I highlight my own hair (only about twice a year these days as I'm growing it out - it's very long), and always have done so accumulated quite a few toners for emergencies (I found those Harmony ones in the triangular box did the job). They do settle down though, honest. Good luck!

Peckarollover Sun 13-Mar-05 19:27:24

Its on!!! and looking very dark

charleypops Sun 13-Mar-05 20:49:14

how's it looking?

Peckarollover Sun 13-Mar-05 22:06:32

I like it :D It is wayyyyy better than the highlighted mess but maybe not as nice as when my hairdresser does it nice and brown with a few highlights in.

Thanks for the help!

charleypops Sun 13-Mar-05 22:19:14

Oh I'm relieved! I bet you end up really liking it after you've washed it a few times!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now