Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What's the general opinion on skinny jeans and knee high boots for a woman approaching 40?

(19 Posts)
sameagain Sun 02-Nov-08 21:21:19

If she's tall and reasonably slim and would be able to carry it off if she was 18, but....she's actually 39? (still 18 in her head though smile

Stylish and casual for a night in the pub, possibly followed by dancing, or prostitute who should have retired?

Also, how do you keep the jeans in the boots and stop them bunching up round your knees?

serenity Sun 02-Nov-08 21:29:18

Depends on the boots I suppose - I can't stand kneehighs with a high stilleto heel on anyone but my Mum (58 and a size 8/10) looks really good in her skinnies and her various long boots with 'sensible', iyswim, heel.

I don't think age is a factor tbh.

Amandoh Sun 02-Nov-08 21:32:24

I'd love to know the answer to your last question. I've tried this look a couple of times but not had the guts to leave my house.

I'm guessing the jeans have to be super tight. I've also wondered if some women wear jeans that end just below the knee.

Hassled Sun 02-Nov-08 21:32:29

Flat boots and not too tight jeans - fine (I hope - am 42 and wear this a lot blush - am 10/12. Usually with baggy jumpers).

Boots with a heel and skin-tight jeans - not unless you're very young and svelte.

Hassled Sun 02-Nov-08 21:33:34

Jeans don't ride up - just sort of wrap the boot-cut or whatever end around your lower calf and zip up - they stay put.

CuppaTeaJanice Sun 02-Nov-08 21:34:15

Skinny jeans with knee boots - OK.

Skinny jeans with pumps or thigh boots - not OK.

traceybath Sun 02-Nov-08 21:34:20

well i'm 36 and live in slim fit jeans or skinnies and wedge heeled knee high boots.

squeaver Sun 02-Nov-08 21:34:54

Nothing at all wrong with it but you must wear skinnies or they do bunch. Get the Top Shop ones with stretch.

mrsmaidamess Sun 02-Nov-08 21:44:11

Do not tuck your jeans in your boots unless they have a heel.

asdmumandteacher Sun 02-Nov-08 21:46:06

Oooh i want to and my aim is that when i get to 40 i will have lost all my weight and will finally be the yummy mummy who is screaming inside this fat old hag at present

sheilatakeabow Sun 02-Nov-08 21:46:28

Chunky boots, good. pointy spike heels, er. Tuck the jeans into some knee-high socks, stand up, pull jeans further into socks to eliminate bunching, put boots on.

scaryfucker Sun 02-Nov-08 21:47:18

I am the wrong side of 40 and I wear skinny jeans tucked into biker boots or knee high flat riding boots.

I don't do heels anyways.

I think I look fab wink

mabanana Sun 02-Nov-08 21:52:21

I'm on the wrong side of 40 too and wear straight/not-too-skinny-skinny jeans tucked into flat (ish) boots. I'm a tallish 12/14. I look fine. It's up to you. There are no real fashion police grin

mrsmaidamess Sun 02-Nov-08 21:54:24

Ohhhh yes there are

<smacks fashion truncheon into palm of hand>

georgimama Sun 02-Nov-08 21:54:34

nothing wrong with that as long as your legs are good enough, and depends what you are wearing on top.

Short tight leopard print, no. Fitted longline cashmere sweater, for example (or similar), yes.

Sazisi Sun 02-Nov-08 22:00:19

Think you should go for it!
I love wearing skinny jeans (or my lovely new skinny cords) with flat boots. It's warm, practical, fashionable, and effortleesly sexy
with heeled boots I'd feel like I was trying too hard though

NotBigNotClever Sun 02-Nov-08 22:07:40

Wrong side of 40 and still think I look good in Gap skinny jeans and knee-high (almost) flat boots. Size 10 - 12. The fashion police are alive and well and living in my house. They are on my case and will be sure to arrest me for any muttonisms - so far, so good.

sameagain Sun 02-Nov-08 22:08:55

Hmm, thanks everyone.

Now I'm struggling with the heel thing. I totally get flat boots in day time (I don't do heels in daylight) but flat shoes for a night out?

scaryfucker Sun 02-Nov-08 22:17:59

ahh, now

a night out is different

I thought you meant daytime

I still wouldn't do skinny jeans/high heel boots for evening out (a bit too mutton for me)

but I would do skinny jeans with this kinda thing for a night out

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: