Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How can I update black dress and black shoes?

(26 Posts)
KatieMorag Sun 02-Nov-08 17:06:18

I want to update last years Christmas party dress rather than get a whole new outfit ( credit crunch and all that). Was thinking about purple opaque tights and purple shrug

Or should I go for small fishnets in black?

Dress is on the knee but my legs are good so want to show them off !

twinsetandpearls Sun 02-Nov-08 17:07:20

What about a belt?
I love coloured tights

Rubyrubyruby Sun 02-Nov-08 17:09:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KatieMorag Sun 02-Nov-08 17:25:28

twinsetandpearls - the dress isn't suitable for a belt as it has a crossover on the bust a bit like this

KatieMorag Sun 02-Nov-08 17:29:58

Ruby - I LOVE statement necklaces and have a large collection, but they are mostly long, which I don't think will work with dress ( see link below). Any suggestions for short statement necklace? Or should I just go for big earrings?

I have big norks so usually do earrings or necklace as there is a lot going on up there IYSWIM

twinsetandpearls Sun 02-Nov-08 17:32:26

I think coloured tights then, jewellery can be difficult with that neckline as I wear lots of dresses like that for work.

KatieMorag Sun 02-Nov-08 17:38:43

You're a teacher aren't you? Does that mean the dress is a bit too boring conservative for a Christmas party? blush

twinsetandpearls Sun 02-Nov-08 19:03:09

No I am permanently overdressed for everything and can regularly be seen tottering about in my unsuitable heels.

KatieMorag Sun 02-Nov-08 19:09:24

I bet the pupils like it though

If you are a heels expert, can you also recommend the best type for dancing in? As opposed to standing around looking elegant.

We live in Scotland so parties generally mean dancing smile

Are purple tights I linked to ok? Worried small fishnets might be a bit middle aged. Torn between desire to look contemporary and worry about being proverbial mutton dressed as lamb blush

twinsetandpearls Sun 02-Nov-08 19:22:43

I can dance in any heel as I stand and walk in heels all day. The chunkier the heel the easier though.

VanillaPumpkinLantern Sun 02-Nov-08 19:23:53

Tartan tights!!!

brimfull Sun 02-Nov-08 19:30:23

loads of nice necklaces in M&S
you could coordinate with coloured tights

brimfull Sun 02-Nov-08 19:30:42

or shoes if tights a bit much

twinsetandpearls Sun 02-Nov-08 19:30:59

Ooh very now tartan tights, I would love some but suspect I would look silly as I don;t gave great legs but you do!

KatieMorag Sun 02-Nov-08 19:31:10

LOL at vanilla. I have the legs but not the face for tartan tights grin

Thanks for heels advice twinsetandpearls

Amandoh Sun 02-Nov-08 19:38:57

How about all black with bright shoes. New Look have brilliant colourful shoes in.

These are eye-catchingly bright and as they have a strap you can dance in them without worrying that your feet will fall out of them.

KatieMorag Sun 02-Nov-08 19:45:24

I like the idea Amandoh but these are a little too high for me shock. Should I really wear all black with them - black dress, shrug and black tights?

No one has told me if I can wear black micro fishnets [sulks]

Amandoh Sun 02-Nov-08 20:55:49

Not sure about fishnets. They make me think of Cilla Black.

What does everyone think about the fishnets over a coloured pair of tights?

Amandoh Sun 02-Nov-08 21:00:12

Tartan tights! grin

Lots of different colour tights to choose from
here.

Aefangedkiss Sun 02-Nov-08 21:10:27

katiemorag does your dress have the band under the bust like the betty Jackson one?

I remember seeing a gok programme where he sewed a cummerbund below the bust on a dress... just a thought... I would look for a polka dot cummerbund or something with a pattern so it isn't too matching.

VanillaPumpkinLantern Mon 03-Nov-08 13:04:29

I wasn't joking grin.
New Look have tartan tights in and so do Next for goodness sake.

They would be perfect and draw attention to the GOOD LEGS!!!!! and very on trend (is that the term???)

I want some but don't have the black dress to wear with them grin.

KatieMorag Mon 03-Nov-08 14:05:05

aefondkiss - no its not exactly the same. but that's a good tip to file away for future reference. esp if you have a good waist to show off ( which sadly i don't)

vanilla - I'm afraid tartan tights might be a little too on trend for this 40 something grin. but you go for it wink

the consensus seems to be that coloured opaques are ok with black shoes or black opaques with coloured shoes. so i will look for high (but not too high) party shoes with thicker heel and moderate price tag and buy tights accordingly. lots of threads here on where to get purple tights so i am ok

can you tell I don't get out much? so much agonising over one outfit. I am obviously a very shallow person blush

Amandoh Mon 03-Nov-08 14:10:43

You're not shallow!

It's perfectly normal to want to look good when you go out. Surely everyone does?

Will you let us know what you buy? smile

blinks Mon 03-Nov-08 14:34:10

a bolero?

www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Sequin-Bolero/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=411531&cid=4174&clr=Black&sh=0

corsage?

www.asos.com/Johnny-Loves-Rosie/Johnny-Loves-Rosie-Star-Corsage/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=427465&cid= 4175&clr=Black&sh=0

cheap but nice earrings?

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_17767_793090_-1

jewelled choker?

www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/34827244&bklist=icat,5,shop,women,womenjewellery,allwomensnecklaces

snake cuff?

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_17767_793110_-1

got nearly all bases covered there me reckons

blinks Mon 03-Nov-08 14:38:56

these earrings are lovely too-

www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Mixed-Shape-Faceted-Stone-Drop-Earrings/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=388212&cid=4 175&clr=Gold&sh=0

f-ing gorgeous statement necklace-

www.asos.com/Oasis/Oasis-Double-Flower-Rhinestone-Statement-Necklace/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=396321 &cid=4175&clr=Gunmetal&sh=0

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now