Talk

Advanced search

Am I imagining it, or are "tiered" skirts back in fashion?

(30 Posts)
PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 10-Mar-05 22:10:00

You know, with each tier made from a different fabric. Hideous. Thought they were lovely first time round when I was about 12!

sievehead Thu 10-Mar-05 22:11:27

think they're great, just not brave enough to wear one on the school run

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 10-Mar-05 22:12:23

So its true then!

merrygoround Thu 10-Mar-05 22:34:05

Having had a day off to wander round the shops yesterday I can definitely confirm that tiered skirts are EVERYWHERE! Last time round I seem to remember they were mostly quite long, but now there are a lot of about knee length versions to. The whole prairie / gypsy / peasant thing is big for summer it seems. Still, easier to wear than hot pants.

Demented Thu 10-Mar-05 22:36:49

10 Years Younger on Wednesday night put a woman in one, thought it looked quite good but not sure if I've got the guts to wear it.

Bit like the jeans tucked inside the boots thing, I like it and have worn it but feel really self concious (imagine I look a bit farmer Giles) and usually end up with the jeans outside the boots again.

Smurfgirl Thu 10-Mar-05 22:42:49

Oooh yes.

I have the best tiered mini in the whole world ever. And a nice black one, and a fab denim one. Shopping obsession much?

I am on the hunt for a nice patterned tiered skirt for summer with slightly different fabric for each tier.

merrygoround Thu 10-Mar-05 22:47:18

Quite a few in New Look (if on a budget...)

unicorn Thu 10-Mar-05 23:32:32

omg! I remember making one of these skirts at school a very, very, very long time ago!!.
I should have kept it- may have made a fortune on it as an authentic early 80's number!

Weren't they called 'gypsy skirts' in those days?

(and is it true that wedges - as in heels are back in fashion too?)

Anyone remember 'Granny shoes'?

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 10-Mar-05 23:33:34

OMG - GRANNY SHOES - I wore them .

unicorn Thu 10-Mar-05 23:34:31

puff~!!!!!!!!!!

we must be as ancient as each other!!!

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 10-Mar-05 23:34:37

Mine were a revolting yellowy brown colour.

sievehead Thu 10-Mar-05 23:35:03

I've got brown suede (with little holes in) wedges EXACTLY like my mums in the late 70s/early 80s. Love 'em but still feel a bit odd when wearing them!

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 10-Mar-05 23:35:20

It's the big 40 for me soon unicorn - how about you?

chonky Thu 10-Mar-05 23:35:22

they're tres tres chic at the moment. I have to admit to buying one today

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 10-Mar-05 23:36:49

I had to have wedge shoes from Clark's when I was 14 - never again.

unicorn Thu 10-Mar-05 23:37:40

been there. done that (twas last year... puff)

Make sure you enjoy yours (I went for a weekend in Barcelona w'out kids and hubby!! it was fab!!)

unicorn Thu 10-Mar-05 23:39:26

But apparently wedges make the legs look slimmer..

Well if they could do that for mine I would be sleeping in them!

Unless you are a model I cannot really see the purpose of wedges...

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 10-Mar-05 23:40:58

That's exactly where I'm off to unicorn! Do you mind me hijacking my own thread and asking where you stayed?

HUNKERMUNKER Thu 10-Mar-05 23:42:07

It'll be ra-ra and puffball skirts next!

unicorn Thu 10-Mar-05 23:43:09

If I can remember(!!) I think it was the Hotel del la Ronda (or similar)- my old(!!!) schoolpal sorted it all.
It was pretty near las ramblas and very clean etc...

We had such a fab time.. sure you will too.

sievehead Thu 10-Mar-05 23:43:24

I just feel like a librarian when I wear my wedges with a skirt

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 10-Mar-05 23:45:21

Thanks unicorn.

Ra ra skirts - yes, wore those, but drew the line at the puffball. Anyone remember Princess Di wearing a puffball dress?

unicorn Thu 10-Mar-05 23:46:58

anyone remember the cork wedges???

I had various sandals that I thought were just fabarooney...(I was young and knew no better!!!)

They had denim on top (with a motif - a butterfly) and a serious cork wedge.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 10-Mar-05 23:49:39

Yes, remember them well unicorn. Didn't partake myself due to trauma of Clark's wedges.

unicorn Thu 10-Mar-05 23:50:11

I have never had the legs for rara or puff ball...

but I am sure I had the old 'grease look' sorted.

You know..black lycra trousers... and sequin boob tube (well come to think of it - not a boob tube at all really - wasn't allowed!!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now