Talk

Advanced search

Posh party outfit - where to look apart from Monsoon, Debenhams, Coast, Hobbs, Next, Principles, Phase 8 etc etc

(26 Posts)
KristinaM Fri 31-Oct-08 22:22:07

Title says it all really..........I don't dress up much but now have an invitation to a posh party at Christmas. Have been browsing all the usual sites tonight and find them pretty similar

Is there nothing different out there? Its all black prom dresses! I guess I mean in a boho type way, rather than ASOS cutting edge fashion way. Not that i dont like it - I'm just too old and fat to wear it blush

KristinaM Fri 31-Oct-08 22:54:26

I don't want to look middle aged ( even though I am sad). All the women will be 50 and wearing black dresses with black or silver evening sandles and thin black or nude tights and diamonte or diamond jewellery AND I DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE THAT

[Kristina throws herself on the floor sobbing]

barbie1 Fri 31-Oct-08 22:58:55

how much is your budget?

LaDiDaDi Fri 31-Oct-08 23:01:56

All Saints? link this with funky shoe boots

Karen Millen? link I love this for xmas but can't really justify it, buy it on my behalf!

LaDiDaDi Fri 31-Oct-08 23:05:33

French connection? link link

barbie1 Fri 31-Oct-08 23:10:03

oh im loving the fc dresses!
you could also try cruise or matches depending on budget of course wink

KristinaM Fri 31-Oct-08 23:13:31

oh you are right , these ARE different smile

love the Fc bex dress but too high in the neck for my large norks

barbie - budget is high street rather than designer. prob under 200 as i won't wear it again very often

Amandoh Fri 31-Oct-08 23:14:56

Have you had a look at the Monsoon Fusion range?

I saw this one in store today and it's ever so pretty though maybe not posh enough for a really posh do.

This one is lovely too and you could wear a short cardigan with it if you're self concious about your arms (I know I am!).

If you really do feel too "fat" to wear the current trends then what about a black wrap dress and some bold jewellery and a gorgeous pair of heels?

Although this one isn't actually a wrap dress it has the same tummy skimming benefits but goes in under the boobs which is most peoples slimmest part.

This one is great and so is this. You'd get so much wear out of them and the blue colour is gorgeous.

I saw these in New Look today (Size 5 all gone or I'd have bought a pair). They would certainly brighten up a black outfit and at only £20.00 it doesn't matter if you only get a couple of wears out of them. The purple is really gorgeous too. It's a shame they don't come in a jewel green though.

barbie1 Fri 31-Oct-08 23:17:27

try twentyeighttwelve or graham and spencer...both have nice ones for less than 2oo xxx

Amandoh Fri 31-Oct-08 23:17:44

Oops, just seen your "don't want to wear black" post. The Bravissimo dresses come in more colours than black though smile

barbie1 Fri 31-Oct-08 23:18:54

also try velvet
twenty8twelve

Amandoh Fri 31-Oct-08 23:20:52

Oh my God!

I LOVE the French Connection Bex dress LaDiDaDi. I think that's going to be my Christmas Day dress grin.

KristinaM Fri 31-Oct-08 23:22:58

I'm not totally against black, if i coudl wear it in a less boring predictable way. maybe the solution is to wear a back dress but with soem funky accessories, like bright opaque tights and great shoes?????

I have good legs so can show them off as long as norks are covered

LaDiDaDi Fri 31-Oct-08 23:28:20

nice colour

bold print

this would look lovely dressed up with chunky silver accessories and shoes

I want this

link

link

KristinaM Fri 31-Oct-08 23:30:17

LO at teh " ideal girl" at graham and spencer - its under "philosophy"

LaDiDaDi Fri 31-Oct-08 23:32:40

tee hee

I'm not iconoclastic, does that mean I cn't buy their clothes?

KristinaM Fri 31-Oct-08 23:34:23

barbie - when i google " velvet" i get lesbian dating??????

KristinaM Fri 31-Oct-08 23:36:06

ladida - i woudl never normally look at net a porter as i thought it was all mega £££££££. you have opened my eyes smile

barbie1 Fri 31-Oct-08 23:36:38

ha ha you can find the collection at matches

LaDiDaDi Fri 31-Oct-08 23:38:55

Thanks KM; the only thing is that the sizing can be a bit random, flitting between US, UK, Europe etc and then in sale section sometimes only 1 size is left.

Ah ha. I didn't realise graham and spencer were behind velvet. Interesting.

Bubbaluv Fri 31-Oct-08 23:56:03

www.mywardrobe.com or .uk not sure.
Dianne Von Furstenberg (or however you spell it) www.dvf.co.uk I think?

KristinaM Sat 01-Nov-08 00:08:32

thanks all, i am googling away madly

dh watching old james bond film

how sad we are...........pre kids we would have been out (or staying in wink) having fun

KristinaM Sat 01-Nov-08 20:48:34

Thanks for all these suggestions. i have reluctantly concluded that i will need to step away from the PC and venture into a RL shop. I HATE shopping. But cant really go to posh party in jeans and t shirt hmm

Amandoh Sat 01-Nov-08 23:12:05

Will you let us know what you buy KristinaM?

I'm Christmas party dress shopping vicariously through you as I haven't got a party to go to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now