Talk

Advanced search

Looking for knitwear with *properly long* sleeves (from owner of very long arms!)

(23 Posts)
choucroutegarnie Thu 30-Oct-08 20:12:44

Am I the only woman in the western world with very long arms?

It's that time of year when I hit the high street (M&S, Jigsaw, Gap...) for basic jumpers only to find them at least a couple of inches too short in the sleeves.

DH calls it "the gorilla look". That's a bit of a hint then.

In desperation I always end up in menswear but the shapes are wrong.

Please don't tell me to start knitting

SueW Thu 30-Oct-08 22:23:09

I don't have really long arms, I think they are quite average for someone who is 5' 9" tall (hmm, nuff said, p'raps) but I do get cold wrists frequently so I can relate to how you feel.

Yesterday I bought a pair of long length leather gloves which go about 3 inches beyond my wrist to ensure they don't get cold when I'm wearing my winter coat which is perfect everywhere else.

RottenOtter Thu 30-Oct-08 22:24:13

long body too although i am only 5 7 - 5 8

Boden is about 6 inches too shor on me

giddykipper Thu 30-Oct-08 22:24:59

www.longtallsally.com

Or Top Shop tall is pretty good.

Or buy 3/4 length sleeves!

RottenOtter Thu 30-Oct-08 22:25:15

i had to buy a LARGE coat from m and s when i am always medium because pram pushing and too short arms just dont mix

SueW Thu 30-Oct-08 22:27:22

giddy I dont want 3.4 sleeves.

I want sleeves that go all the way down my armies to my handies

I am wearing something that does right now. It cost me about a fiver from Tesco but it's not my first choice of apparel!

Upwind Thu 30-Oct-08 22:28:29

I sympathise - I also have v. long arms and am not sure what the solution is...

giddykipper Thu 30-Oct-08 22:30:38

I know SueW

I'm 6ft and have had a lifetime of buying tops where I think the sleeves are long enough but after 10 minutes of wearing them they are round my forearms.

Have a look at Long Tall Sally, the quality is usually pretty good.

choucroutegarnie Thu 30-Oct-08 22:47:45

Had never heard of long tall sally and am pleasantly surprised - thanks for the tip.

I do like the long leather gloves idea, though not too practical indoors!

If I make any interesting discoveries this weekend I'll report back.

Thanks everyone.

TracyK Fri 31-Oct-08 10:10:06

How about wristwamers for outdoors - with glovey bits on and use legwarmers inside (with no glovey bits)

fishie Fri 31-Oct-08 10:14:22

i've got long arms and short body so jumpers are either showing wrists or making me look even dumpier. this boden one is long cut even though she has pushed sleeves up. have coat from benetton which is long armed too.

should you be planning a shopping holiday, amsterdam is a good place. am wearing a dutch wrap cardie, holland ladies are tall.

snowleopard Fri 31-Oct-08 10:21:56

I have this problem and am still searching. The best brands I have found are Bench - but obviously that is a look you might not want to go for, I struggle with it a bit - and Odd Molly, which is expensive but there are some lurvely things with very long sleeves if you can afford a special treat.

some odd molly stuff here

My latest plan is to buy matching wool and crochet decorative sleeve ends onto things - I'm going to try it on an old cardie first.

snowleopard Fri 31-Oct-08 10:25:30

Oops I told you to start knitting - well almost. But I'm crap ay knitting but learning to crochet (for this reason) and it's a lot easier. Plus if you only add arm-ends, you don't have to make a whole garment.

KatieDD Fri 31-Oct-08 12:33:31

£56 for a TShirt - odd Molly is just wrong shock

snowleopard Fri 31-Oct-08 12:51:00

Yes, I would never pay that for a t-shirt, but that shop does good sales so you could get something like cardie or dress for £50-£100. Not cheap but comparable to places like Boden and Jigsaw.

dairymoo Fri 31-Oct-08 13:12:14

Quite expensive but Abercrombie & Fitch and Fitch http://www.abercrombie.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category1_12406_10901_12282_-1_12203 jumpers and long sleeve T's always have reeeaaallly long arms. There's a store in London and you can shop online but prob best to see if any of your friends have US holidays planned and ask whether thy might be able to bring something back for you. Although exchange rate isn't as good as it was this time last year sad.

dairymoo Fri 31-Oct-08 13:12:39

Sorry - am crap with links!

Sputnik Fri 31-Oct-08 13:38:23

I have this and the sleeves are so long I've got them turned over twice (I'm 5'7").

This has long sleeves too.

fishie Fri 31-Oct-08 18:06:29

how could we overlook...... zara. longest trousers in universe, surely their tops must be armful.

RottenOtter Fri 31-Oct-08 21:00:47

snowleopard are you fabulously wealthy? I love this stuff but pricey

snowleopard Sun 02-Nov-08 10:06:32

Not really (but I'm aware I have more money than some on here so it might seem so relatively) I've only ever bought 3 odd molly things, always in sales, and one was a present for someone else. But the odd molly cardigan I have I do love because of its very long sleeves. I reckon I've probably spent more on the years on cheaper high street stuff that I've ended up not wearing because of freezing wrists.

snowleopard Sun 02-Nov-08 10:07:24

If you love it, keep an eye on that site - they do as much as 50% off in their sales.

snowleopard Sun 02-Nov-08 10:07:49

over the years, doh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now