Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Products for curly hair

(32 Posts)
Pinkjenny Thu 30-Oct-08 11:51:47

I have curly hair, which naturally, is a little bit like Sarah Jessica Parker's. I despise my curls and prefer to straighten them, but don't always have the time.

I use a serum which I am happy with, but my regular mousse has been discontinued. Does anyone have suggestions of a wonderful alternative that I could try?

TIA

Pinkjenny Thu 30-Oct-08 12:34:00

frizzy bump

bikerunski Thu 30-Oct-08 13:12:19

I have lunatic mad dry frizzy hair, made worse by recent pg. Anyway, Asda Curly Locks Creme is fantastic. DH said he couldn't find it t'other day. I hope he is being "dozy man in supermarket" and it hasn't been discontinued. Keratase do a curl creme too, but I prefer the Asda one, despite it being about a tenth of the price!

Pinkjenny Thu 30-Oct-08 13:14:38

Creme rather than mousse? On dry hair? Doesn't it make it lank?

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 30-Oct-08 13:14:57

I have mad curly hair too. Even the hairdresser can't straighten it successfully.

I use a cheapo curl cream, Boots own brand one in a pink tub is fine followed by mousse, don't brush or comb and leave it to dry naturally. Have given up on looking groomed.

Serum isn't all that good for your hair.

Pinkjenny Thu 30-Oct-08 13:17:17

It's the mousse bit I can't find though.

SpinMeRightRound Thu 30-Oct-08 13:17:31

Avon's curl creme is fab! its the nly that I use now after trying everything else out there.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 30-Oct-08 13:19:02

I just use cheapo stuff - TBH I don't find there's much difference. What did you use before?

dexter73 Thu 30-Oct-08 14:02:37

I use the Boots curl creme too and think it is very good. I usually mix a squirt of serum into it as well. I spread it through my hair and then twirl bits round my fingers so that i get loose curls.

Pinkjenny Thu 30-Oct-08 14:09:29

I used Loreal Bouncy Curls, which is still available according to their website, but I can't find it anywhere.

So you just wash your hair, put curl creme on it while it's wet, and dry it?

crankycrane Thu 30-Oct-08 14:12:02

John Freida do a curl enhancer spray, it is brilliant as I have frizzy ends, which drive me mad, this seems to calm them

Pinkjenny Thu 30-Oct-08 14:13:54

Hmm, never being a fan of Frizz Ease, would I like this?

singyswife Thu 30-Oct-08 14:14:38

I have a loreal one called curl power I got it in poundland and it doesnt make my hair go that big way that it goes/

Pinkjenny Thu 30-Oct-08 14:15:47

Poundland, you say? I think my mum works near a Poundland, I'll get her to have a look. It's hard to find a decent mousse which controls but doesn't make your hair hard, imo.

RubyShivers Thu 30-Oct-08 14:16:39

there are a few products which i think are good (i have fine, curly hair)

The boot curl creme is £1.29 and v good (a couple of others have mentioned it)

There is a Supuerdrug Curl Cream (comes in a hot pink tube and is IIRC about £2.29)

If you are after something ££££££££ Bumble and Bumble surf spray which is around £16 but is fabulous

Also, the less heat I subject my hair to the better IME - i usually leave my hair to dry naturally

crankycrane Thu 30-Oct-08 14:17:08

I know what you mean pink but the enhancing spray is non greasy and is light on the hair

Pinkjenny Thu 30-Oct-08 14:17:27

And you just put the curl creme on wet hair and dry it??

crankycrane Thu 30-Oct-08 14:21:41

www.johnfrieda.co.uk/20_204.asp

hope link works

Pinkjenny Thu 30-Oct-08 14:37:12

Thanks for the link cranky

My hair is cerazy with no product.

sazzerbear Thu 30-Oct-08 14:40:58

Yep John Freida - Curl Reviver mousse is the only thing that works for me! I never blow dry, or I end up looking like Hair Bear!

Pinkjenny Thu 30-Oct-08 14:43:33

Will try that I think.

sazzerbear Thu 30-Oct-08 14:50:00

it's about £4 so more pricey but works for me, unfortuantely as you know, it's trial and error until you find what works!!

fishie Thu 30-Oct-08 14:50:27

aveda bloody fantastic. i have fine curly hair so risk weighing it down and this is great. it lasts about 6 months too so good value.

anything with silicon in is really bad, frizz ease, serums etc. very drying.

Pinkjenny Thu 30-Oct-08 14:52:13

Frizz ease is bloody awful stuff.

I've tried Be Curly before fishie, it's not powerful enough for my VERY thick hair.

<wishes she had straight hair>

Pinkjenny Thu 30-Oct-08 14:52:52

Sazzerbear - is your hair thick or fine?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: