Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what foundation do you use and why?

(27 Posts)
colie Fri 24-Oct-08 12:41:15

Desperately need new make up but fed up buying foundations only to find they don't actually match my shade of skin (very very blue, sorry, pale).grin

Just wondered what everyone else likes to use and reasons for this?

BoysAreLikeZombies Fri 24-Oct-08 12:54:30

a thread from the archives re v v pale skin

Hope someone else will be along with advice

smile

mumof2222222222222222boys Fri 24-Oct-08 12:57:03

I would go to a department store and get the assistants to try some on you. Might be an idea to work out your budget first...I recently spent about £25 on Lancome (don't ask me which one). If you are like me and like natural look, make sure you tell her - the old bat that did me was caked in stuff and I didn't want that! Also be strong when she asks if you need this liner and that liner and stuff that you've never heard of...unless you really want to spend a fortune!

JollyPirate Fri 24-Oct-08 12:57:14

Clinique were great with me. Went to one of their counters and they tried several shades on my pale skin until they found the best match. The liquid foundation is about £18 but lasts ages and is well worth it. Gives excellent coverage too.

Eunicewonderstuff Fri 24-Oct-08 12:58:15

Prescriptives will colour match for you.

childrenofthecornsilk Fri 24-Oct-08 13:00:15

Space NK are good at matching you with the right shade and they have lots of brands to use. I use chanel vitalumiere as it's very natural.

childrenofthecornsilk Fri 24-Oct-08 13:01:42

Eunice - I love prescriptives skin care stuff - I have a pot of face powder which is nearly gone. sad They're on QVC soon so I'm hoping ti pick up a bargain then.

lazarou Fri 24-Oct-08 13:06:39

I have really pale skin and I bought some of this

It's fantastico. I got mine from Boots.

Eunicewonderstuff Fri 24-Oct-08 13:09:23

ask the modul with the red hair over there ->

ditheringdora Fri 24-Oct-08 13:09:39

I got Shisheido, I have very pale freckly skin and it's lovely, very velvety not like a mask but takes away the "schoolgirl -like" freckles. Worth every penny!

snowybaby Mon 27-Oct-08 09:24:24

i'm wearing foundation by giorgio armani. It is very lightweight, does not feel cakey..but the coverage is very very good..n makes my face really glowing.

colie Mon 27-Oct-08 10:25:48

Thanks ladies. I am tempted to buy the prescriptives traceless but haven't tried it on so will try and curb my impulse and go to a department store to find my right colour.

Thanks again everyone.

mynameisluka Mon 27-Oct-08 10:27:09

Bobbie Brown is great for pale skin too.

ScareyBitchFeast Mon 27-Oct-08 10:28:19

i was "done up" outside boots 10 years ago,
what an embarrassment blush but have brought the stuff since - lancome it was.
perhaps someone somewhere will be doing a free makeover in your area?

MrsMattie Mon 27-Oct-08 10:29:18

Maybelline Rewind in Nude.

It's cheap.

It's versatile (a tiny bit on it's own gives a really nice, clear complexion for evenings, and a tiny bit mixed with moisturiser makes a really nice tinted moisturiser for daytime).

I'm pale, too, but find that all that stuff about matching the tone of your foundation exactly to your skin tone is guff. I don't want the 'orange tide mark' effect, but I do find that a tone very slightly darker than my skin tone and well blended in around jawline works better.

NomDePlume Mon 27-Oct-08 10:32:24

I'm not pale but I use Dior Diorskin Pure Light.

It is perfect for me. Gives lovely coverage without being cakey or cloggy. Makes me look like I haven't got any make up on (in a good way). Subtle.

mamaspanx Mon 27-Oct-08 10:38:58

have used clinique for about 12 years (since i was 20)....i realised that foundation is the one thing you shouldn't skimp on. the colours are always fantastic, light weight and give good even coverage. i have had to change the foundation as i have aged (started off with one for oily skin and now use one for drier)and i have never been concerned about looking like i'm wearing a mask!

LaTrucha Mon 27-Oct-08 18:12:35

Max Factor very good for blue skin! I'm a redhead and I always buy it. There's a clinique one that's very good too. I think it's called 'petal'

twinsetandpearls Mon 27-Oct-08 18:14:10

I have very pale skin and use a chanel foundation, my credit crunch one atm is a boots no7 one is a fairly good substitute, Prescriptives also very good.

sallystrawberry Mon 27-Oct-08 18:17:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

honestfriend Mon 27-Oct-08 18:18:29

clinique Repair Wear in Alabaster- but they have other formulations for all skins.

sallystrawberry Mon 27-Oct-08 18:18:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

watsthestory Mon 27-Oct-08 18:20:27

Message withdrawn

electra Mon 27-Oct-08 18:21:52

I use Bare Essentials mineral powder foundation - it's fantastic and I have noticed a huge difference in my skin since I started using it (previously used Chanel). It is supposed to be much better for your skin and apparently you can even sleep in it without it doing damage.

Podrick Mon 27-Oct-08 18:24:00

electra what skin type do you have?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now