Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Funky stylish winter coat - needs to be usable for walking with buggy, so have hood. Please help if anyone has seen such a thing!

(5 Posts)
Jewelsandgems Thu 23-Oct-08 19:24:31

I recently bought a beautiful winter coat from Zara - all belted and luxorious. But, I have not had chance to wear it once yet. This is because I am now a SAHM and, really, unless I am wearing smark wide-legged jeans, heeled shoes, or dress and smart knee boots, it does not look the same when worn with flat boots, jeans tucked in, big scarf and (nice) woolly hat.

I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and take the zara coat back, and exchange for something that goes along with my new lifestyle. But, I am still a stylish woman, and want something funky, stylish and flattering [yeah, easy right!]

Help please as it is getting cold and I am coat-less!

dexter73 Thu 23-Oct-08 21:37:54

I really like this coat as it is wind and waterproof yet still manages to look quite stylish.
It is always hard to get a good coat that is functional and stylish and there have been many threads on here about it but still no real answer!

MrsBadger Thu 23-Oct-08 22:53:10

difficult

first off, give up on the hood and get a rain hat that suits you (the boden one is surprisingly good)

my best SAHM coat was H&M - still wool and smartish, but just a bit more casual than the ones I'd been used to wearing to work.
Or a formal cut in a mroe casual fabric like tweed, or a funky colour, can look good

M&S have the odd gem, but if you turn right in Zara to their 'younger' dept where the jeans are you may do well.

Jewelsandgems Fri 24-Oct-08 07:45:56

That was is deinfately worth a look dexter and does look warm and inviting.

Good advice there again too MrsB did not think of H&M, because yes, something tweedy or a non-black colour would make it more wearable. Am off to check out the rain hat....

Jewelsandgems Sat 25-Oct-08 21:44:30

Just thought I'd update; swapped beautiful non-practicle coat for much cheaper (half the price) coat, still from Zara. Has funnel neck, belted, nice pockets, is black and looks great with my usual uniform of skinny jeans tucked in boots and layered tops. AND because it was much cheaper, ended up with some lovely grey suade boots (the ones that are very high right up to knee, and not fitted to leg - bit slouchy) so am very happy with that

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: