Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Quick Advice on Looking Corporate

(15 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Tue 21-Oct-08 18:30:42

Ok, it doesn't really matter, but I'm going to this awards/conference type thing tomorrow (DH is up for an award). Dress code is 'business dress'. All food is canape style. Industry is fairly geeky, but in an investment-banky sort of way, not Google. (Whose dress code is, in case you were wondering, 'you have to wear something'.)

I'm tempted to wear a pair of golfy sort of checked trousers, a nice blouse (cotton), and a Balanciaga-esque coat (which I will check). I am not wearing heels.

All my business clothing predates DS1 (so, 7 years old, whoops). And it's in size 18, I'm now about a 14.

Other options:
- tweedy long suit. Think it might still fit
- I have a few giant blazers, the kind that go to mid-thigh nearly, all are black. Too big is presumably not a problem with these, but they are (I think?) rather out of date.
- I have a reasonable pair of black dressyish trousers, that fit.
- I have some other dressy tailored clothes, I think there's even a skirt, but I doubt it fits (too big).
- Oh, I have some tailored mens-style shirts, again, too big.

I want to be comfortable, really.

I also have to dig up some sort of bag, I have a class beforehand, so I need to have stuff with me, but I'm thinking a knapsack isn't quite the look I'm going for ... although I guess I could take one and check it ...

Miyazaki Tue 21-Oct-08 18:32:52

I think your first outfit is perfect tbh.

Miyazaki Tue 21-Oct-08 18:33:36

And don't know if you do always, but if not, I would do 'done' make-up and hair.

Miyazaki Tue 21-Oct-08 18:34:12

Last one!

Good luck for your dh. Hope it's fun (as is possible)

NotQuiteCockney Tue 21-Oct-08 18:41:24

I don't really do either, ever.

I was planning on not cycling, though, so my hair doesn't have helmet-head, if that counts. grin

Glad to hear my first outfit is ok, though. I'm comfortable in these trousers! I have some simple black flat but dressyish shoes.

Miyazaki Tue 21-Oct-08 18:45:37

Ha! That definitely counts smile

MrsBadger Tue 21-Oct-08 18:56:39

[rummages in memory banks]
did the silk dress not go down well at last year's do?

check trous and blouse sound perfect

NotQuiteCockney Tue 21-Oct-08 19:32:19

This is v daytime, so silk dress too much.

DH doesn't think the checked trous are any use for this - so I'm wearing black trousers and a cowl-neck blouse. (Oh, or maybe a v pale greeny-blue heavy satin blouse? Not sure, probably too warm.) Safer, anyway.

I have a wide collection of blazers that make me look like David Byrne. Whoops. And all the dress-up clothes I buy now are things like evening gowns or floaty cotton skirts.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 21-Oct-08 19:35:48

Oh, and the tweedy suit, lovely though is, makes me look like I have cancer.

How is Team Badger? I was surprised to see you suggesting a ceramic otter as a gift, on another thread - surely a ceramic badger would be far superior ...

MrsBadger Wed 22-Oct-08 12:51:34

Team Badger are very well thank you smile

the otter is an oblique vintage Cod reference, and besides a badger is probably to good for them...

googgly Wed 22-Oct-08 21:23:10

Maybe you should buy a nice trouser suit that will work for this sort of thing over the next few years?

NotQuiteCockney Thu 23-Oct-08 08:17:41

Yeah, I should probably do something. I really just need a plain black blazer that fits and isn't fashionable (so won't be out of fashion, either).

I am not 100% sure I am staying this size, though, so am inclined to give it a year or so first, before buying anything like that ... might keep an eye on the market stalls for a suit, though ...

NotQuiteCockney Thu 23-Oct-08 08:20:05

Oh, and I went with nice flarey black trousers and a dark turquoise cowl neck top. Looked fine, felt fine.

The other women there (there weren't many) were of the big-hair-bright-coloured-suit-and-a-scarf look - not much chance of me looking like that!

MrsBadger Thu 23-Oct-08 09:09:37

[pictures NQC dressed like Sarah Palin]

[falls over]

NotQuiteCockney Thu 23-Oct-08 09:12:48

Ha! I have hair now (seriously, a fair bit, am no longer by any standards bald), but it's deffo not Big Hair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now