Talk

Advanced search

I exfoliate, I moisturise, I do everything I should do and yet skin still a shitty heap!! Help!!!

(44 Posts)
PussinJimmyWhoooos Mon 20-Oct-08 20:17:25

Open pores, red patches, whiteheads etc - its really really getting me down....

Any advice? Have even left off the foundation to see if that makes a difference but no...

ComeOVeneer Mon 20-Oct-08 20:18:31

Diet, and lots of water.

MrsMattie Mon 20-Oct-08 20:18:42

What's your diet like? Do you drink plenty of water? Do you get plenty of fresh air? i find these things make more of a difference to my skin than any lotion or potion.

Also, maybe you should simplify your skincare routine? Some skins just don't like all those chemicals.

RubySlippers Mon 20-Oct-08 20:20:16

stress is a major factor - it shows on my face and you are having a stressful time right now

anyway, are you using the right products for your skin type?

water is also key as the others have said

littlelamb Mon 20-Oct-08 20:26:22

The only time my skin is beautiful is when I cut out all wheat and sugar and drink loads of water. The difference it makes really is unbelievable, and you would see results in a week. Going low carb and high protien is quite hardcore though, and the cold turkey while you withdraw from sugar and caffine can be quite hideous but it makes your skin glow.

PussinJimmyWhoooos Mon 20-Oct-08 20:29:41

Funny thing is though, my friend who is overweight and eats a lot of the wrong things, has a lovely complexion! I have overdone the carbs/sugar lately as am stressed so maybe I need to cut that out...mmm...I've always had shitty skin though...had acne as a teenager and although that has gone, my skin isn't exactly great!

I use the Estee Lauder foaming facial wash, the daywear cream and every two or three days exfoliate with Benefit facial scrub

stitch Mon 20-Oct-08 21:01:52

my friend, a dermatologist says the liz earle cleanser is on eo fth ebesst.
water and lack of stress are important. plus vitamins and minerals. but also genetics. sad

MrsBadger Mon 20-Oct-08 21:05:09

get pg

tis the only thing that clears mine up completely sad

PussinJimmyWhoooos Mon 20-Oct-08 21:08:13

Guffaw at lack of stress!! Not happening atm...but Liz Earle...where would I find this magic potion??

I too find that being PG clears my skin up but am due to Ovulate this Thur and DH is in the Middle East....<stares at the milkman>

lol!

stitch Mon 20-Oct-08 21:52:38

no no. stay away from the milkman.....
saw liz earle in john lewis in kingston a few days ago. try there. apparently you clean it off with a hot washcloth. whcih should comewith the cleanser

JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Mon 20-Oct-08 21:53:59

Liz Earle cleanse and polish - also available from, ahem, QVC.

PussinJimmyWhoooos Mon 20-Oct-08 21:56:32

Oooh....packaging looks nice too <shallow> mm....I'm so fed up with it - I actually feel sad when look in the mirror as so bleugh with the crappiness of it!

JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Mon 20-Oct-08 21:56:37

I'd been developing really massive spots, so I simplified massively, and now use a Tisserand foaming cleanser, plus the Liz Earle superskin concentrate in the evenings. My skin's much better than when I was using really chemically stuff on it. But you probably need to try a few things out, to see what works for you. Lush also worth a try if you fancy something more natural.

mavornia Mon 20-Oct-08 22:00:15

I'll out myself as a QVC fan - many a happy evening I've spent sucked into that dangerous vortex believeing that I must get the flannel sheets they are waxing lyrical about...

get it from qvc and you get a 30 day money back guarantee, even on cosmetics - safe way for you to see if it works for your skin

the moisturiser (Skin Repair) is great too, simple effective products that don't work miracles but give you clean, healthy looking skin

Wuxiapian Tue 21-Oct-08 03:38:39

Makes you think, though.

I've seen soo many larger ladies with the most beautiful skin.

I drink lots of water, eat enough fruit and veg, get plenty exercise and my skin is totally shite.

lispy Tue 21-Oct-08 06:30:49

I've battled with bad skin for yonks, then met a homeopath who i hit up for free advice (not even knowing exactly what they were) and he went on to comment about other skin issues that weren't a MAIN concern and basically we talked for about half an hour and he concluded that he'd be able to help me very easily (haven't gone round to his house to get the stuff yet). I'd have gladly tried this approach earlier had i known to avoid getting the same advice over and over from doctors/friends etc. maybe worth a shot, cheaper than i imagined. If you're just worried about pimples try benzac or any product with the benzoyl peroxide. it's proven as effective as medication. worked quite quickly for me.

watsthestory Tue 21-Oct-08 06:57:38

Message withdrawn

watsthestory Tue 21-Oct-08 07:02:07

Message withdrawn

Thefearlessfreak Tue 21-Oct-08 07:34:26

Also hormonal.

I think it sounds as though you do too much - follow some of the previous advice & simplify your routine a bit! I have bad skin on my chin tho , & it's hormonal. Tis grim I admit

lulalullabye Tue 21-Oct-08 07:59:48

I got told that every other day is too much to exfoliate, so maybe lessen that a bit and see what happens.

poshtottie Tue 21-Oct-08 08:00:40

Dermalogica is a fab range of skin products. If you book a facial they can recomend and normally give out lots of samples.

Celery Tue 21-Oct-08 08:07:10

Even Dermalogica and Liz Earle don't work for me. The only thing that does is a good diet, particularly cutting out sugar.

honestfriend Tue 21-Oct-08 08:10:06

exercise- a brisk walk or jog outside at least 3 times a week; no caffeine, water; foods with Omega 3s ( fish oils); exfoliate no more than once a week otherwise you disturb the balance of your skin.

RamblingRosa Tue 21-Oct-08 11:19:27

Lots of good advice on here. Better diet (easier said than done). Lots of water. Cut down on the products you're using. Just use a simple creamy cleanser (the liz earle one is good or a nice simple non-chemical one like Weleda or Jurlique) with either a hot cloth or cotton wool. A good, non-chemical moisturiser (Dr Hauschka Rose cream is great). And, if you want to wear make up, I recommend mineral make up (check out Lily Lolo website) as it doesn't clog pores and it actually claims to be good for acne prone skin. I've found my skin's calmed down a lot since using mineral make up rather than normal foundation.

BloodyStranglingwithBling Tue 21-Oct-08 11:41:15

I think watsthestory has it - there's a woman in my office who was struggling like you and she thought her skin was oily, it wasn't. It's very very dry.

I highly recommend going to a reputable counter - dermalogica, clarins etc and asking them for advice and samples. But it sounds to me like your skin is very dry - and with winter coming that will get worse.

I think a lot is about having an absolutely strict regime, using the right products. I have pretty good skin (mostly) but I cleanse, tone and moisterise religiously every night and cleanse with a water based cleanser and moisterise in the morning. And have done this pretty much every single day since I was a teenager.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now