Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you wear short(ish) skirts without looking like a slapper? I want to wear skirts!

(39 Posts)
MascaraOHara Mon 20-Oct-08 16:21:56

I have long/good legs, I love wearing skirts but I always feel self-conscious and think I look a bit overdressed for day..

how do you all do it?

I don't wear flat long boots, is that where I'm going wrong? also what tops to dress them down? and what do I wear on ym legs, if anything?

Please help.. with your help a while back I found a couple of lovely dresses that I felt really comfotabel wearing but I've feel off the wagon and back into my jeans

Overmydeadbody Mon 20-Oct-08 16:25:12

what do you wear with them if not boots?

I think the general rule is no cleavage if legs are on show and vica versa in order to prevent the slapper look!grin

I always feel less self conscious in short skirts if I'm wearing thick tights with them.

Overmydeadbody Mon 20-Oct-08 16:26:10

if you have long good legs you should be flaunting them

MascaraOHara Mon 20-Oct-08 16:26:55

I only have heeled long boots. have never seen any flat boots I like.. am not opposed to clumpy flat boots I guess but don't want to look to 'alternative' or like I'm playing ta bein ga 6th former lol

codtrolfreaky Mon 20-Oct-08 16:28:23

agree. for daytime no-slapper look definitely thick tights, flat boots or ballet pumps, no cleavage on show.....

brimfull Mon 20-Oct-08 16:28:24

thick black opaques and flat boots
no cleavage

wear layers of long sleeved t-shrts and jumpers to dress down the look
white stuff or fat face good for these

codtrolfreaky Mon 20-Oct-08 16:30:06

don't have to be clumpy boots, just low heeled, round toed, knee length....

or you could go ubertrendy and go for shoots (shoeboots)

codtrolfreaky Mon 20-Oct-08 16:30:07

don't have to be clumpy boots, just low heeled, round toed, knee length....

or you could go ubertrendy and go for shoots (shoeboots)

honestfriend Mon 20-Oct-08 16:31:05

There are loads of low /flat heeled boots around www.jonesthebootmaker.com, and Clarks, and Russell and Bromley etc etc.

Wear them with thick opaque tights and a top such as a cropped cardi, a V neck or round neck cashmere caardi or jumper- don't know your price range but Brora, Pure Collection, and M*S are worth a look. Otherwise have a look at Kew-online, or Jigsaw.

MascaraOHara Mon 20-Oct-08 20:45:31

OK, I hate shoe-boots

I've never been convinced about the opaque tights and ballet pumps

I think I will have to look further into finding some flat boots that don't look like riding boots

brora is a bit out of my price range but will have a look at the others. That said there is a gorgeous pair of fingerless gloves on the brora site that i REALLY want.. £45 though.. for fingerless glvoes - am struggling to justify that one.

MascaraOHara Mon 20-Oct-08 20:48:42

what about these

or

these

never been to Jones site before... ooooh

MrsBadger Mon 20-Oct-08 20:53:46

opaque tights
no cleavage or bare arms
no heels (or chunky block heels)
not too much jewellery

riding type boots are ideal - why do you not like them?
I think both thsoe Jones boots are still to high for casual skirt-wearing - any of the first [counts] 11 here would be better.

MrsBadger Mon 20-Oct-08 20:56:01

NB if you have good legs you don;t need to wear a heel as big as that to make them look better, iyswim

MascaraOHara Mon 20-Oct-08 20:57:06

Not sure, I think it's because I used to ride a lot.. and all I see when I look at them is riding boots.. I think I have a mental block with them.. maybe I should just try a pair on and see if I can get over it.

I like these for dd though grin

MascaraOHara Mon 20-Oct-08 20:58:12

so, big jumpers/layes, big bags and <shudders> riding boots.

no bare arms will be a challenge for me

MrsBadger Mon 20-Oct-08 21:01:50

elbow or 3/4 sleeves are fine, and short sleeves probably are if no chest on show

but nothing shorter - def no vests - tis overexposure of flesh (even neutral non-cleavagey flesh) that makes short skirts look slapperish.

You could wear a tiny minkskirt with a twinset, pearls, opaques and court shoes look perfectly respectable for a business environment.
Same skirt, same tights, same shoes and a strappy vest = barmaid.

fishie Mon 20-Oct-08 21:07:07

i wear short skirts a lot and always have some chest (not usually actual cleavage) on show becuase i am a larger size on top so it helps to balance. ditto fairly substantial footwear. not heeled boots though, that would be too much.

mrsb you are dead right. i have got a short sleeved jumper and it just looks entirely wrong because of chest / leg on show. shame, it is very nice.

MascaraOHara Mon 20-Oct-08 21:09:00

yes.. It's one or other isn't it, tend to go for smart trousers then sleeveless or v neck top so will be a completely switch.

Any recommendations for places to buy opaque tight.. I quite fancy those really woolly looking ones

Jewelsandgems Mon 20-Oct-08 21:12:40

Shit worried I am sporting the slapper look. Here's what I wore today:

100 denier opaque tights in dark grey
dark olive green jersey fabric dress from Zara (used to be knee length but turned mid thigh in dryer) with puffed 3/4 length sleeves - they are not tight sleeves though, tight cuff but bit of volume otherwise
Vest under dress in navy but there is a bit of cleavage blush
vintage pendant necklace
tan brown chunky heeled mary janes
fitted cord jacket when out
Scarf when out

oh no! Do I need to buy some flat boots pronto?

MrsBadger Mon 20-Oct-08 21:12:51

I wear M&S school ones blush

or Tightsplease or Mytights if you;re buying online
Falke are luverly but cost to match

MrsBadger Mon 20-Oct-08 21:14:04

how long is dress, jewels?
[peers over specs, brandishes tape measure in manner of deputy headmistress]

a dress is a different matter to a skirt anyway, and the outfit sounds well thought out, so you were probably fine

MrsBadger Mon 20-Oct-08 21:14:49

and I suspect you are young, non?

whipeprsnappers can get away with more than the more mature lady

FrayedKnot Mon 20-Oct-08 21:16:37

I have these

www.shoestudio.com/fcp/product/bertie/Bertie-Boots/READ/6670

Which I wear with short(ish) skirts for work - have a couple just above the knee. Boots just below knee. Opaque tights.

fishie Mon 20-Oct-08 21:17:36

i was delighted to find a pair of falke fine merino in sock drawer (it is very large) last week that i bought and forgot about. oh my they are worth every penny. dresses do not stick to them. they do not look like woolly tights.

i do know how to darn though, cheap tights false economy.

Jewelsandgems Mon 20-Oct-08 21:20:14

Aaah MrsB it is mid-thigh and although I like to kid myself, maybe that is part of my apprehention - I am 30 (very nearly 31!) and am worried, with my outfit, I am crossing the border into muttonville blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now