Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

help with a new winter coat, please!

(12 Posts)
MamaHobgoblin Fri 17-Oct-08 21:51:24

Am throwing myself on your stylish mercy!
I haven't had a new coat for years and years. Didn't get around to buying one last year as was hugely pregnant and couldn't fit into anything, also was too hot most of the time! grin

Anyway, I need one now, not having a large warm baby bulge to hide behind this year. I used to favour long flappy coats but have had to admit that at 5'2", they really don't suit me. I'm looking for something about knee length to wear with jeans or skirts. I'd sort of like it to be blue - navy or a bit less dark than that - to wear with my brown boots. I'd prefer wool or a wool-rich blend, and I don't want to spend a huge amount - up to £100 but that would really be pushing it. To be honest, I don't know what a decent coat goes for these days. Oh, and I'm a size 16 with big hips and norks these days...

I've got a very small window of time to go shopping, because I'll be taking DS with me and he's not loving the shops at the moment. So if anyone has any hot tips about where to look, it'll really help! smile

Pannacotta Fri 17-Oct-08 21:59:39

This is nice, though in aubergine not navy
www.lauraashley.com/Coats/CASHMERE-BLEND-CITY-COAT/invt/ct365auberginep&bklist=
as is this, in navy, over budget but LA often do reductions
www.lauraashley.com/Coats/FLARED-MIDI-COAT/invt/ct330navyp

BoysAreLikeZombies Fri 17-Oct-08 22:05:29

little black coat from ASDA I've got it and it's utterly gorgeous.

Cut is great

Shape is super

It's wool (well 66 per cent)

And it's fifteen quid

Worth a punt, surely.

MamaHobgoblin Fri 17-Oct-08 22:10:29

I LOVE the aubergine coat! I'll go and check it out. The navy one is pretty much what I was imagining, but it is over budget really (the last coat I had new was Laura Ashley wool/cashmere mix, it was a christmas present and I've worn it to death!).

I'm pretty short, so my only reservation is that these might be a tad too long, but I'll certainly go and check them out. Thanks very much!

MamaHobgoblin Fri 17-Oct-08 22:12:16

Ooh, blimey, the ASDA coat's a bargain! Thanks Boys, I'll have a look at it - not sure the collar's going to suit me, but as you say, it's got to be worth a look!

BoysAreLikeZombies Fri 17-Oct-08 22:14:16

mama I am 5 ft 2 and a size 14 - the Asda coat is fab (and I am a snob)

grin

MamaHobgoblin Fri 17-Oct-08 22:17:00

Ok, ok, I'll look at it! grin

It does actually look more the length I was looking for. Where does it hit you on your legs, so to speak?

BoysAreLikeZombies Fri 17-Oct-08 22:19:53

Mid thigh so not Too Long.

Great for whizzing around this winter, cheap and stylish gotta be good.

MamaHobgoblin Fri 17-Oct-08 22:30:00

Ok, now I have to find my local ASDA! Hope it's not Reading...

(Have just done Store Locator. It's either High Wycombe or Reading. We're in a Waitrose/Ubiquitous Tesco Belt here... Anyway, thanks for the tip, I will make a trip soon!)

platypussy Fri 17-Oct-08 22:32:00

You can order the little black coat online (Asda direct).

MamaHobgoblin Fri 17-Oct-08 22:42:07

Hmm. Online'd probably be safer, given that if I go to a branch it won't necessarily have my size. Thanks!

MatBackFeck Mon 20-Oct-08 14:08:12

my asda coat arrived today, ordered online, I too am very hard to please but it is amazing for the price. I got a 10 which fits me perfectly (unusual) and as am a shortie (5ft) the length is perfect on me - just above knee length (might be a bit short for a tall person). Ok the material may go a bit bobbly eventually but it is certainly not Primark level and looks great - I am stunned how good it is for £15.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now