Talk

Advanced search

Should I still get my haircut when I'm (skint) on maternity leave?!

(8 Posts)
DunderMifflin Fri 17-Oct-08 12:44:07

I have shortish curly hair and like the 'style' (hmm perhaps not really the right word but can't think of anything more suitable!) its in at the moment.

It only costs £15 to get it cut every 5 weeks but I'm thinking that as I'm on maternity leave and going down to half pay very shortly, I should grow it a bit so that I can wear it up and not get it cut as often/at all.

So, do I carry on getting it cut while money's not tight (because I'm worth it! grin) or grit my teeth and keep growing it rather than put it off until I have to (which means I'll be back to square one with the growing out phase, IYSWIM)?

Your thoughts please!

Woooozle100 Fri 17-Oct-08 12:55:54

Yeah do it i say

Yr eyes may look like they're healing up from tiredness, make up may be a memory, yr clothes might be a bit in betweeny all over the shop cos yr not the size you want but good hair and shoes are worth the effort.

Specially hair that's cut to look good as opposed to hair that needs styling / drying everyday

I cut my hair short when on matty leave and found it so easy to manage. One less thing to have to faff arounfd with in the morning. Tho I have slacked on the regular trims and am in a bit of a hairslide stage at mo

Furball Fri 17-Oct-08 13:00:12

I decided seeing as we have started watchin the pennies to go every 8 weeks to the hairdressers rather than every 6. Mind you my hairdresser is twice the price of yours but I save £10/month by doing that.

DunderMifflin Fri 17-Oct-08 14:18:29

Thanks for the advice ejb1976 and Furball - I agree about a good cut deflecting from the rest of the poor grooming and I suppose its cheaper than buying new clothes!

NorbertDentressangle Fri 17-Oct-08 14:22:21

If money is an issue and you like being a little adventurous why not see if you can get it cut by a trainee as thats bound to be cheaper but you'll still get a regular cut if thats what you want?

BodenGroupie Sat 18-Oct-08 20:50:19

I've just booked to go to the Vidal Sassoon student place in London - first went there in 1981 and was given a Lady Di blush. Very cheap even when I add in the train fare. Pamper yourself while you still can! I look at post-natal photos and wonder how I ever went out of the house.

plj Sat 18-Oct-08 21:11:02

I went for the posh spice crop last week and came out of the salon feeling great! It was such a treat. Somehow the days of no shower, joggy bottoms and panda eyes from lack of sleep and the day before's make up-don't seem so bad as at least I have a good haircut!!

mother2daughters Sat 18-Oct-08 23:01:26

I went for the posh spice crop in London. I suppose its cheaper don't seem so bad good hair and shoes every 8 weeks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now