Talk

Advanced search

Will spending two hours a week being personally trained turn me from a Fattipuff to a Thinifer by February?

(23 Posts)
littlelapin Thu 16-Oct-08 22:52:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dragonbutter Thu 16-Oct-08 22:53:36

as long as you don't treat yourself to a flapjack every time you go, you'll be fine.

littlelapin Thu 16-Oct-08 22:55:18

Brangelina Thu 16-Oct-08 22:58:51

You need at least 3 times a week to shift the blub, as I found out to my cost. Plus at over 35 you're beginning to lose muscle tone and will have to work that bit harder to put any on.

You could do 2 x trainer sessions and a long run at weekends, or something like that perhaps, non?

littlelapin Thu 16-Oct-08 23:01:35

stitch Thu 16-Oct-08 23:03:29

you need to diet as well. sensible eating alone wont cut it on only two sessions a week.
five sessions, with some sort of proper eating plan and determination to stick it out. you could lose it by christmas

childrenofthecornsilk Thu 16-Oct-08 23:03:53

I would love a personal trainer. Lucky lapin!

littlelapin Thu 16-Oct-08 23:06:48

Brangelina Thu 16-Oct-08 23:06:52

I didn't need to lose weight before I went, just tone up after baby. However, I actually managed to get chubbier by going to the gym twice a weekhmm. I think a third session of running + weights might have sorted me out. I was doing kickboxing btw so quite a lot of exertion.

DP has not managed to shift any of his podge from 2x sessions, HE really needs to go for at least 1 more session.

childrenofthecornsilk Thu 16-Oct-08 23:07:28

No you don't have to give up wine!

Brangelina Thu 16-Oct-08 23:08:17

No, listen, I drink wine and am quite thin. No muscle tone anymore but nonetheless thin. There are loads of other things you can give up instead.

bossykate Thu 16-Oct-08 23:18:25

hmm. as a 40 yo who has been doing personal training twice a week for a few months now and the weight is only just starting to shift, i would say the following:

it depends on how out of condition you are to begin with. i had to focus a lot on just improving core strength and confidence before i could start any serious fat busting.

ime, two sessions a week not really enough. i am doing running and boxing in my sessions now and since starting those i can see a weight loss. i think an extra session per week would speed things up.

ime you also need to combine with calorie reduction. i have cut back wine a lot and also we had got into a silly habit of frequent take aways (the shame blush) so have cut those out now. i don't really "diet" as such, i just try not eat/drink stupid obviously rubbish things, combined with sensible things like smaller portions and no second helpings.

i think it can be hard for trainers to get it right. with the benefit of hindsight, i think my trainer was too gentle with me, and if weight reduction (as opposed to generally improving health and fitness) had been my primary goal, i wouldn't have perceived the sessions as value for money iyswim? but otoh, if she had pushed me too hard, i would have got demoralised and never have stuck with it. if anyone had told me a few months ago i would be running (even the rather <<ahem>> modest amount of running i am able to do now) i would have split my sides laughing.

anyway, hth and good luck with it.

littlelapin Thu 16-Oct-08 23:22:14

bossykate Thu 16-Oct-08 23:24:06

btw, 2lbs per week is a sensible weight loss (apparently) so if you have 28lbs to lose then obv that is 14 weeks to lose it. so that takes us to what end Jan?

bossykate Thu 16-Oct-08 23:26:54

oh sorry the other thing i meant to say is that my training schedule has been frequently interrupted by those pesky school holidays, so my progress has no doubt been slower than it would have been otherwise.

brimfull Thu 16-Oct-08 23:29:36

cut out refined crabs
don't worry too much about fat
the real killer is sugar

littlelapin Thu 16-Oct-08 23:41:29

LadyLaGore Thu 16-Oct-08 23:45:25

man, ive been pondering this very thought.
for quite a while.
maybe its like giving up smoking... you have to try lots of times before it really catches on.
hmm, thats a nice philosophical thought isnt it? smile

LadyLaGore Thu 16-Oct-08 23:47:07

trying to get to bed so have only scanned... but drinking wine is still ok you say? marvellous.
how much, roughly?
and is vodka soda and lime a less weighty alternative? [questions for people who have actually dieted before]

littlelapin Thu 16-Oct-08 23:50:52

LadyLaGore Thu 16-Oct-08 23:51:47

hey ill be your virtual training buddy if you like... bit of competition might help?

brimfull Thu 16-Oct-08 23:56:22

refined crabs are the bane of my life .[grin

best drinks are very dry white wine ,vodka tonic and fresh lime juice not cordial or G&T

LetThemEatCake Fri 17-Oct-08 07:33:28

do the Carol Vorderman 28=day detox
did it in March, lost 16 pounds and it has stayed off, Loads of my friends have done it too, we\ve all lost a stone or thereabouts. Combined with exercise you will be birthday bellissima!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now