Talk

Advanced search

Please look at these Bridesmaids dresses and advise me

(42 Posts)
milkysallgone Mon 13-Oct-08 21:27:54

The bride has asked me to choose a style and she's going to take a chance and order me one. I am quite pear shaped - size 14 on top (E cup) and usually a 16 on the bottom.

The colour of the dress will be 'sage' and I will be wearing some sort of jacket/wrap with it. I would really appreciate any opinions on the dresses themselves and whether you think they will flatter my big hipped figure.

Sorry about the large number of dresses but I really can't decide.

Could really do with getting the style right as it's been ordered overseas. PLus the other childless smug cows bridesmaids are a slender size 8! envy.

www.lightinthebox.com/A-line-Strapless-Floor-length-Nylon-Taffeta-Bridesmaid-Dress---Prom-Dress--HSX 842-_p29755.html

www.lightinthebox.com/A-line-Square-Floor-length-Satin-Bridesmaid-Dress---Prom-Dress--HSX874-_p29821 .html

www.lightinthebox.com/Elegant-Empire-Line-Maxi-Bridesmaids-Dress---Prom-Dress--HSX132-_p24217.html

www.lightinthebox.com/A-line-V-neck-Floor-length-Satin-Bridesmaid-Dress---Prom-Dress--HSX859-_p29814 .html

www.lightinthebox.com/A-line-Strapless-Floor-length-Satin-Bridesmaid-Dress---Prom-Dress--YCF140-_p13 958.html

www.lightinthebox.com/Elegant-Empire-Line-Halter-Bridesmaids-Dress---Prom-Dress-HSX184_p24218.html

www.lightinthebox.com/A-line-Strapless-Floor-length-Satin-Bridesmaid-Dress---Prom-Dress--HSX055-_p21 361.html

www.lightinthebox.com/Sheath---Column-Strapless-Cation-Satin-Bridesmaid-Dress---Evening-Dress---Prom -Dress--HSX713-_p29260.html

PeaMcLean Mon 13-Oct-08 21:46:56

gosh, I'm all for looking at frocks but these are really slow to load.

Are there "rules" about what's best for a pear? Would that help?

fymandbean Mon 13-Oct-08 21:53:27

I haven't looked at the dresses but the 'trinny and suzannah' rules say 'a'line skirt for a pear shape. Cant remember about big bust though - was it V neck?? For my figure (as it was pre pregnancy with B cup boobs) it was strapless but know that is unsuitable for my currently E cupsblush

drinkmoretea Mon 13-Oct-08 21:55:05

i would say the v necked one and avoid strapless...

TheFallenMadonna Mon 13-Oct-08 21:57:52

I haven't looked at all the links but the words "empire line" and "pear" ring alarm bells for me. And strapless? Is that doable with an E cup? (genuine question - haven't been a E cup for at least a decade and can't remember. Definitely not doable with a G...).

DeJaVous Mon 13-Oct-08 21:59:25

IMO the serious options for maximal flattery are 2, 4 & 3, in that order.

NoXmas Mon 13-Oct-08 22:00:14

tbh - none of them!

I just dont think they will flatter you.

deffo not strapless

will have another look............

NappiesLaGore Mon 13-Oct-08 22:01:34

they all look nice enough to me. all v similar.
think your figure will look wonderful -am jealous of boobs envy

Wilkiepedia Mon 13-Oct-08 22:01:56

Not loading fast enough for me but defo NO to strapless, go for halterneck, fitted at top for maximum support then going into a nice floaty bottom skirt to skim your hips,

You'll look great

DeJaVous Mon 13-Oct-08 22:02:43

Why does it have to be ordered overseas? It sounds like madness to buy without a proper fitting.

yama Mon 13-Oct-08 22:03:21

I love the second and third dresses. However, I think for your figure the fourth one would be most flattering. It is also lovely.

milkysallgone Mon 13-Oct-08 22:06:27

Thank you for looking. I was aware of A lines being good for pear shapes but am clinging on to some desperate notion that I might get away with an empire line?? I 've never really tried empire line before but some of those don't look it iyswim.

I wore strapless on my wedding day, and I think it was flattering...although I'm reasonably large breasted they seem proportionate.

milkysallgone Mon 13-Oct-08 22:08:25

Money saving DeJaVous.

Wilkiepedia Mon 13-Oct-08 22:10:55

Just a quick note: sometimes looking at photos of beautiful dresses can tempt you into thinking they will suit you, I would get a VERY HONEST friend to come with you and try some styles on.

Tillyscoutsmum Mon 13-Oct-08 22:17:18

I think the two tone effect of the last one would be good (darker colour on bottom half will reduce pearness)

I think the ruching on the waist of the 5th one will give a lovely waist and enhance your hour glass shape

That said - I agree you could do with trying some on. Just pop along to a bridal shop, take a friend and/or a camera and get an idea. Department stores are usually better for trying on lots of different ones

Heated Mon 13-Oct-08 22:23:45

There are some fab dresses but imo there is one clear winner:

No 1: no, as fishtail will emphasise arse
No 2: maybe, will depend on how well the top fits...could be fab, or could be all boobs and stomach.
No 3: will cut you off at your widest point
No 4: yes, very flattering for bust, gives you a definite waist and will skim the hips smile
no 5: the worst so far, nicole kidman only can wear this
no 6: tres elegant top but will show every lump and bump if you're not a smooth silhouette
no 7: your cups will runneth over
no 8: in the lighter colour will emphasise hips more than in the picture

milkysallgone Mon 13-Oct-08 22:23:58

Thanks for these replies, it's very helpful. Perhaps I should have a little trip to Debenhams with my Mother (doesn't mince words), to get an idea.

I'm quite surprised that consensus seems to be 'no strapless', I honestly didn't think that would be an issue.

milkysallgone Mon 13-Oct-08 22:31:24

Ooh Heated - thank you I could kiss you!! Your critical eye seems to be spot on. smile

Gobbledigook Mon 13-Oct-08 22:35:40

I like the 4th one, 5th one and 6th one.

If you are pear shaped then it needs to be a-line I think.

I don't know what hte big deal is on strapless - I'm a bridesmaid in Nov and mine is strapless and it looks stunning (if I do say so myself!)

Gobbledigook Mon 13-Oct-08 22:36:43

I think halterneck dresses look tarty

I have DD boobs and am wearing strapless so I don't see why it's an issue with an E cup

Gobbledigook Mon 13-Oct-08 22:38:55

Oops, I meant 4th, 5th and 7th (NOT 6th)

samsonara Mon 13-Oct-08 22:38:58

I would choose a bodice like in no. 3, which is long and ruched, with the A-line skirt, I'm not sure about the straps. I like no. 5 next as it has the a-line skirt and with the pleat detail adds more attention there and the bodice is nice too. I think the one which have a narrow looking bodice part as in 1 would look wrong imo. What about trying some one in the high street shops like BHS, and getting some feedback and a feel for what it looks like on you if you dont find something locally atleast you have an idea of what suits you before ordering abroad. Some dresses theoretically should look right but sometimes the fabric and cut doesn't hang right even with the support undies. I can see why no. 4 is a fav, it has a sense of balance about it but it looks alot like any dress you can get say in Debenhams to me, so you can try a style lke that in the department stores if you feel you dont want to go to a boutique or smaller store.

Gobbledigook Mon 13-Oct-08 22:44:59

Agree with others saying try on.

This is mine \link{http://www.brides.com/fashion/dresses/gallery/bridesmaid_dresses/vendor/designer/bellaformals/ detail/166067?offset=7#_chip=0\here) but in deep red and without the corsage bit on it.

Am diff size to you but I think it would suit a pear shape.

Gobbledigook Mon 13-Oct-08 22:45:18

sorry here

LaDiDaDi Mon 13-Oct-08 22:45:38

1) No. See Heated's comments.
2) I think that the top isa very low cut and you will struggle to find a bra that fits and supports you and cannot be seen under the dress/at the neckline.
3)Will make your bum look bigger, see Heated.
4)I like this one. Straps wide enough for a proper bra but deep V will draw just the right amount of attention to your cleavage and be slimming.
5)Personally I don't like this style.
6)I think that the neckline on this is too high for someone as busty as you. Better for a flatter chested woman trying to conceal her lack of assets.
7)Dull dress, the ribbon is too thin and thus will make you look bigger than you are.
8)Can't quite work out what's going on with the skirt in that one. I think it looks like the highwaist will be unflattering but I could be wrong.

I would really avoid strapless if I were you. I've seen lots of big busted women struggle with strapless dresses. What often happens is that thy look fine standing up but the minute they sit down everything bulges over the top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now