Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone cut their own hair and not look ridiculous?

(21 Posts)
beansmum Thu 09-Oct-08 19:28:14

How do you do it? I have been trimming my hair myself for a couple of years, but I'm rubbish at it. I always have to have my hair up in a ponytail so nobody can see how uneven it is. Anybody have any tips?

southeastastra Thu 09-Oct-08 19:30:39

yes go to a hairdresser grin

i have done it around the front myself and it always looks ok at first then awful.

are you hairdresserphobic?

Overmydeadbody Thu 09-Oct-08 19:32:29

my mum cuts it for me, but it's easy, just a V shape down the back. My hair is curly so slight unevenness won't show up anyway.

beansmum Thu 09-Oct-08 19:33:50

I LOVE hairdressers, they always want paying though. My sister has done it for me a few times, but she's nearly as bad as me.

muggglewump Thu 09-Oct-08 19:40:03

Yes I do. It's long and straight, I just sit in front of the mirror and cut one side at a time until it's even!
No one, including hairdressers on the odd visit has ever noticed.

beansmum Thu 09-Oct-08 19:42:06

Do you just do it completely straight across the bottom?

muggglewump Thu 09-Oct-08 19:43:54

That's the aim, but obviously I can't do it like that myself so have to pull it round to the front and do a side at a time IYSWIM. I always check with a mirror held at the back once it's dry though.

beansmum Thu 09-Oct-08 19:47:10

Maybe I just need to slow down a bit and do a bit at a time. Last night I was totally fed up with it, tied it in a ponytail right on the top of my head and snipped the bottom inch off. It looks okish, like somebody has tried to layer it and not done a particularly good job.

sarah293 Thu 09-Oct-08 19:48:50

Message withdrawn

blinks Thu 09-Oct-08 19:50:17

beansmum- after snipping the bottom inch off, feather it more by cutting into it but in a downward motion, from root to tip with slightly open scissors or thinning scissors... you won't notice the crapness so much.

beansmum Thu 09-Oct-08 19:58:40

ok, I'll try. It's probably best not to use my sewing scissors isn't it?

Winetimeisfinetime Thu 09-Oct-08 19:58:42

I do mine, in between occasional visits to the hairdressers. I don't think it looks awful but not really great either - It does look better though than some of the horrors I have come home with from the hairdressers and is a lot cheaper. I also tend to wear my hair up mostly { a la Patsy from Ab Fab } so most of my mistakes are hidden.

I cut the fron of my hair first and then part it at the back and bring each side forward and cut it using the side bits I'be already cut as a guide. I then stick my head under the shower spray and whilst the water is running and keeping my hair straight I brush it all forward and cut again, the ends to try and get the back reasonably straight. I also do what blimks says and sort of cut into the hair diagnally so as not to give a really harsh edge.

Winetimeisfinetime Thu 09-Oct-08 20:00:50

daignally ? Diagonally of course.

beansontoast Thu 09-Oct-08 20:05:32

i did my own for ages...years...and thought it looked fine.

however now with the benefit of hindsight i can see that i looked not only unkempt...but probably a bit odd grin

PumpkinPatty Thu 09-Oct-08 20:26:15

I cut my own fringe all the time. If you're gonna cut a fringe NEVER do it when wet.

beansmum Thu 09-Oct-08 20:28:56

I would be too scared to do a fringe! I'm going to try winetime's way next time.

Winetimeisfinetime Thu 09-Oct-08 20:34:52

Hope it goes well for you bean - I perhaps ought to add that I have fairly low standards and tend not to look at the back of my head much so don't know how ridiculous it might look !

beansmum Thu 09-Oct-08 20:37:14

It can't look worse than it usually does. And anything's better than horrible frizzy split ends.

wastingmyeducation Thu 09-Oct-08 21:20:31

If you take a small section, twist it and then snip into it you avoid getting uneven blunt sections. I have bouncy, curly hair so unevenness doesn't show so much.

xx

NappiesLaGore Thu 09-Oct-08 21:21:39

yes. my sister. bitch.
wink

beansmum Sun 12-Oct-08 19:15:33

I have done it again, and it looks much better. Perhaps even good enough to wear down. I held my head upside down and tied my hair up on the top of my head. Then twisted it round tightly and chopped off the ends. Then twisted it around the other way and chopped off the uneven bits. genius.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now