Talk

Advanced search

HELP PLEASE - need to relearn how to take care of myself dont know where to start!!

(6 Posts)
unhappy Thu 09-Oct-08 14:12:35

I used to take care of myself I used to care what I looked like be interested in fashion/hair etc never very good with make up but willing to try. I want to look good again to care again but finding it hard to make the effort - any suggestions ? blush

pushchair Thu 09-Oct-08 14:26:39

not so good myself but you could try
making an appointment with one of those make-up counter people for a session. i believe some will do free ones.
Get you friends to give you a make over. I have tried this myself and if you can get them past the 'you look great, you dont need to do anything' stuff and really into what they would like to see you in etc then it can work.
Real style types will be along shortly to advise better than me
grin

Flutterbye Thu 09-Oct-08 14:36:59

Get your colours done (about £80) but was fab for me - or if too much there are probably some "colour me beautiful" books available in the library which do a similar thing. I then got the Suzanna & Trinny books out the library - the one about shape is particularly good. With these in hand you're invicible in the shops, never (hardly ever) a bad colour/shape buy.

Get makeup ideas from counters like puschair said, I get a good haircut every 2 months so I'm always respectable.

Libraries also have magazines to borrow (including fashion ones) to give ideas without splashing out on them.

lilQuidditchKel Thu 09-Oct-08 19:09:43

Trinny & susanna books are really inspiring, and practical.

First stop: decent hair salon. get a cut and be open to new ideas.

Next: nails. manicure & pedicure.

Whilst in both places, read mags like InStyle and Grazia which will give you ideas of how other people are putting outfits together.

If you go into a trusty shop like M&S and ask for help finding a casual/work/party outfit I'm sure they'll help you.

Above all, avoid looking at sizes and caring about it. Wear something that fits properly and it will look good, and nobody else will know or care what number the tag inside says.

Good luck!

unhappy Fri 10-Oct-08 07:50:25

thanks for your post guys hoping to make something of an improvement to my bag lady like look at the moment dont want my dcs to be ashamed of me!!

TheBlonde Fri 10-Oct-08 10:42:10

read look mag look.co.uk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now