Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

best hand cream for endless hand washer first time mum?

(22 Posts)
kookiegoddess Wed 08-Oct-08 18:15:53

seem to spend my life washing my hands. they're getting seriously dry. any top tips for yr fave hand cream? bought a big bottle of neutragena norwegian formula body lotion to put by the sink but it ain't all that.

I use palmers body lotion in the morning but it's not lasting on my hands.

Good night time treatment cream? I haven't used any olay/nivea hand products, are they any good?

cheers for any tips.

traceybath Wed 08-Oct-08 18:21:30

bodyshop hemp cream very good but i find i have to apply cream all the time and switch makes as seem to build up a resistance to any one which i use a lot.

Boots expert also do a very good one and its only about £2.

Have hand cream everywhere - and if you have any lansinoh hanging around thats good at night time.

pushchair Wed 08-Oct-08 18:29:27

Neutrogena in kitchen cos its best and cheapy in bathroom and anywhere else you need it

bossykate Wed 08-Oct-08 18:30:21

oh i remember this well! first off, if you are using an antibac handwash - STOP! they are very drying, i would get the mildest handwash possible.

second, imho, the best hand/body cream is aqueous cream. it moisturises really well and is very cheap - about 2.50 for a big tub in superdrug.

third, if your hands have got to the point where all handcreams are stinging, then before going to bed lather your hands with petroleum jelly - ime this doesn't sting and will restore your hands sufficiently overnight so that you will be able to use ordinary handcream in the morning.

fourth, get into a discipline where you moisturise your hands after every wash.

hth and good luck!

moshie Wed 08-Oct-08 18:31:24

Best I've used is Avon glycerine with silicone, nothing else I've tried compares with it at all.

MrsBadger Wed 08-Oct-08 18:59:48

wash your hands less
[runs]

after doing nappies obv, but when else?

buttercreamfrosting Wed 08-Oct-08 19:08:32

Dream Cream by Lush is fabulous and I think they do a couple of good hand creams too.

Lizzzombie Wed 08-Oct-08 19:10:29

Mine are Fked since having a baby.
I swear by flexitol hand balm. It magic. Get it from boots, about £4.50 for a small tube, but like I said....magic!

Sobernow Wed 08-Oct-08 19:13:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TsarChasm Wed 08-Oct-08 19:15:47

I like the BodyShop Hemp one too; it's more than I'd usually pay though.

OneLieIn Wed 08-Oct-08 19:17:52

I got given a hand treatment set from the Sanctuary with gloves. You put a lot of cream on and sleep in the gloves (you look like Michael jackson) but my goodness, it works a dream.

jangly Wed 08-Oct-08 19:18:08

Aqueous cream from the pharmacy is good for last thing at night, and its cheap too. Smell's not too good though.

bran Wed 08-Oct-08 19:23:25

The Body Shop hemp cream makes my skin itch like mad. I always use Vaseline intensive care hand and nail.

watsthestory Wed 08-Oct-08 19:24:48

Message withdrawn

Fadge Wed 08-Oct-08 19:27:14

Aveeno or Norwegian formula the unscented one, but make sure you buy HAND CREAM not body lotion!

shootfromthehip Wed 08-Oct-08 19:28:58

Lush do indeed do a lovely cream about £11 if I remember. Good for night time. Aldi do a super cheap one that I think is terrific £2 ish. I love clarins hand and nail but it's pricey as is a lovely shea butter one by L'occitane. As you may have noticed, I have this problem too wink

widgypog Wed 08-Oct-08 19:36:48

Bodyshop hemp is te only one to use....expensive but worth it

bikerunski Wed 08-Oct-08 20:18:56

But the Bodyshop hemp cream stinks.... also firsttime mum with dry hands. Bio Oil good though, mix it in your palms with a little e45 and massage into hands before going to bed.

kookiegoddess Thu 09-Oct-08 13:43:14

ooh lots of help here. thanks very much ! will try the aqueous with bio oil as I have a bit left over from pregnancy.

TheOtherMaryPoppins Fri 10-Oct-08 14:40:37

good old Atrixo

brokenrecord Fri 10-Oct-08 14:44:51

Diprobase ointment (not cream) is best for me. And pretty cheap.

Also, obviously there are times when you just need to wash your hands, but if you've just picked up something potentially germy but not dirty try using a hand santizing spray rather than constantly washing. They kill off 99.9% of germs in a couple of sprays, they're taste and scent free, and it will avoid your hands getting so sore.

If they're really sore you can also wash with aqueous cream, as well as use it as a moisturiser.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now