Talk

Advanced search

trendy waterproof jackets - do they exist?

(20 Posts)
rachelp73 Mon 06-Oct-08 21:30:32

Ok, so I happened to flick through a Cotton Traders catalogue that came in a Sunday supplement, and found myself thinking "hmmmm......those 3-in-1 waterproof jackets - they're so practical, and they don't look tooooo ghastly. I suppose...."

I need help, don't I? grin

What I need is something to keep me dry when I am pushing toddler in pram and holding onto DS, 4, on way to school. During wet weather so far I have struggled with a hoodless formal-ish black coat that isn't waterproof and is too thin for really cold weather, plus an umbrella if it's REALLY pissing down (and strict instructions to scurrying DS not to get left behind!). Pram going everywhere though.....And so do my frizzy curls.

I need to be practical, yet reasonably stylish. Am I asking for the impossible?

cmotdibbler Mon 06-Oct-08 21:34:16

I saw a really nice (but hoodless) waterproof by Craghoppers on Sunday - styled like a trenchcoat but Goretex.

rachelp73 Mon 06-Oct-08 21:38:48

Ooh, Goretex sounds expensive.....should have said I have next to no budget at the mo! £50 ish - 70 absolute max? Am I being unrealistic? Ideally it would cost 20 quid from Asda. grin

Fimbo Mon 06-Oct-08 21:40:20

Doesn't exist.

Go to TK Maxx and get something off the wall from there.

TheBlonde Tue 07-Oct-08 08:18:17

Have you tried landsend?

LisaLessLumpy Tue 07-Oct-08 09:31:07

cheap as chips and warm too

mishymoo Tue 07-Oct-08 09:46:29

Have you tried Next? They seem to have a few of these bomber style jackets but are they too short?

dexter73 Tue 07-Oct-08 09:49:06

A bit pricy but I do like this coat.

postLady Tue 07-Oct-08 09:54:51

Message withdrawn

ChopsTheDuck Tue 07-Oct-08 10:03:30

ooh some of those are DIRE!
I agree with Fimbo, get to TKMaxx. They have ski jackets for about 25% of the RRP, which are really warm and properly waterproof. Plus, at least ski type jackets don't make you look about 50 and frumpy.
I got a calhar one, a bit like [http://www.calhar.co.nz/laviva.htm this]] one but in white with mocha detail and detachable fur trim. I really love it, it is warm and dry and has tons of little zips and features. They retail for about £200 in NZ apparently, and it was £40 in TK.

Mumi Tue 07-Oct-08 11:08:10

This will sound like a stupid question - and probably is - but are all ski jackets waterproof? If so I may return to TKMaxx but I need a waterproof one for my geography and environment course so it mustn't be too bulky.

rachelp73 Tue 07-Oct-08 13:55:59

Postlady, I think in the first 2 you suggested I would look like I should be a contestant on Ski Sunday. And in the 3rd one, I would look like my mum. smile

MishyMoo, good suggestion but you're right, just a little bit short I think.

I really want to get this right - I have already made one grannyish mistake this summer and don't want to repeat it - wanted a lightweight summer outer jacket with a hood for hols in rainy Cornwall, and rushed into it last minute and bought a granny type one. Luckily it was cheap, but still a waste of money. Wore it about 3 times and now it's set for the charity shop. blush

Dexter73, that's quite nice, isn't it? Colour range is good too. If I can't find anything in TK Maxx (good suggestion to go there BTW, had forgotten about that), I will perhaps try and beg the rest of the dosh off DH for an early Christmas pressie and get that one.

I just don't know about ski jackets, really. Worried I would just look like a nob. grin Do they not look a bit chavvy when, erm, you're not actually skiing? You know, in the same way "sportswear" looks chavvy in a pub? I have lost all my fashion sense since not having money or time to keep up with latest trends, and sincerely don't have a clue about that type of thing.....I haven't got a "style" as such.....

missblythe Tue 07-Oct-08 14:02:13

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_61568_648519_-1

I have this, makes me look a bit like I'm about to go out on my boat in Massachusetts, but I figured that's better than looking like I'm about to order the English breakfast at the BHS cafe.

rachelp73 Tue 07-Oct-08 14:06:05

grin Missblythe!

Doesn't look that warm, though, or is it?

missblythe Tue 07-Oct-08 14:11:23

Not really, no, so you need layers underneath.

But if it had padding, I suspect it would make me look like a knob, so am happy to chuck on another jumper. And it is totally, brilliantly waterproof.

postLady Tue 07-Oct-08 15:12:52

no don't go down ski jacket route (the ones i suggested btw aren't ski jackets) unless you ski! - aigle are great (dexters suggestion) i have an aigle coat and it is pretty good - what is your style like usually?

rachelp73 Tue 07-Oct-08 20:30:07

Ah, now there is the problem, you see, postLady. I don't know WHAT my style is. Years ago when I was a student I was at my most comfortable, and right on trend at the height of grunge grin. Lots of black, v casual to the point of scruffy, big boots. Now, at the age of 35, the over-grown student look would not be so great, I concede, and so I don't even go there, but as a consequence, I don't possess a "style" as such. Er.....I like to be comfortable, and I also have a lot of boring old black in my wardrobe. Guess there's just no escaping those Nirvana days! grin but also [wistful sigh] Apart from that I'll give anything a go! And that's the problem, it doesn't amount to a style, and makes for dreadful mistakes (hence the grannyish summer jacket).

The prob I also have is that money is an issue so most things I buy have to be cheap AND multifunctional ie. can dress up or down.

If I didn't despise them so much I would say I need Trinny & Susannah. grin

MrsBadger Tue 07-Oct-08 20:43:04

I wear a rain hat (the boden one is passable) and a hoodless smartish mac

agree it is a challenge

Louandben Tue 07-Oct-08 20:51:38

Am almost scared to say it, given the topic of another current thread grin but Boden always does a waterproof jacket each season.

This is the current one herewhich is a bit louder than mine, which is plain and maybe not the most stylish thing ever, but its looks nicer than ski/hiking/shell type jackets and definitely does the job, with a nice big hood and soft lined cuffs. I bought it three years ago and it keeps coming out on rainy days and then I never worry about juggling an umbrella and pushchair!

Louandben Tue 07-Oct-08 20:56:18

ah - just noticed it has completely sold out! Comfort yourself that it sounds as if this particular version has a dodgy zip problem and wait for next season range to come out if you can, maybe they will tell you when that will be if you contact them. Mine was a bargain when I think how much I have worn it and how grateful I have been to have it in huge downpours!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now