Talk

Advanced search

Hey all you fashionistas - help me find something for ds2's wedding

(42 Posts)
JoolsToo Sun 05-Oct-08 21:35:43

I tried on a dress and jacket in Phase Eight but now the blardy bride's mother has gawn and bought it.

I'm very hard to please!

I'm trying to look online so I have an idea when I hit the shops (for the second time!)

Any ideas where to look? I've looked at Coast and Hobbs and want something that sort of quality.

I await my personal shoppers grin

ledodgy Sun 05-Oct-08 21:38:50

Bloody hell that was unfortunate but Thank God you found out now before you both turned up in the same outfit! What type of thing are you looking for, trousers, skirt, dress, suit etc?

JoolsToo Sun 05-Oct-08 21:41:22

either a skirt suit or a dress with a jacket.

It's November so it gonna be cold!

ledodgy Sun 05-Oct-08 22:10:57

Phew it's not easy it just been looking and everything still seems quite summery. What about colour, style etc?

ledodgy Sun 05-Oct-08 22:11:09

Style of dress I mean.

JoolsToo Sun 05-Oct-08 22:12:02

straight skirt, nothing floaty or frilly or sticky out grin

ledodgy Sun 05-Oct-08 22:19:16

anything here?

ledodgy Sun 05-Oct-08 22:37:02

this is nice but ££££

ledodgy Sun 05-Oct-08 22:48:26

I'm going to bed now but am just bumping the thread so a real fashonista can see it and help you. grin

JoolsToo Mon 06-Oct-08 11:13:15

thanks ledodgy you're a pal.

I've looked at Coast, not sure about satin, although I do like some of their stuff.

The red one? hmmmmmmm

anyone fashion bods around today?

JoolsToo Mon 06-Oct-08 11:13:53

Big gaffe there on my part

it's ds 1's wedding blush

JoolsToo Mon 06-Oct-08 11:17:58

might try this on www.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/categorylook/occasion/damask-winterwedding1?resetFilters=true

bride's mother (I tried this on too!)

www.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/product/fashion/Dresses/Paisley-tafetta-dress/200600086
www.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/product/fashion/Jackets/Paisley-tafetta-jacket/900433086

I like this but they only have size 10 and what do I wear over the top?

www.principles.co.uk/fcp/product/-/DRESSES/Purple-Pleat-Detail-Dress/9136

help!

SorenLorensen Mon 06-Oct-08 11:26:23

Oh, Jools, I sympathise - this was me last year (do you remember?!) Well, not mother of groom for ds1 as he was only 10 this time last year but outfit for a November wedding dilemma.

I've got a black trouser suit that's now done 4 weddings and a funeral if you want to borrow that!

JoolsToo Mon 06-Oct-08 11:29:49

Lol thanks SL and yes I do remember! I saw the photos and very lovely you looked too!

I actually have my suit from dd's wedding if things get REALLY desperate! grin

SorenLorensen Mon 06-Oct-08 11:32:39

Is that sort of fitted shape of dress what you're after? How are your arms <<<I'm trying to sound like a fashionista now>>>? If you wore a sleeveless dress with a jacket would you be happy to take the jacket off later in the evening if you got hot?

JoolsToo Mon 06-Oct-08 11:45:21

no my arms are rubbish but needs must! and lets face it, folk will be looking at the bride not me!

JoolsToo Mon 06-Oct-08 11:46:21

the dress the bride's mum has got fit me beautifully because of the curve from waist!

that's why I was looking at the other Phase eight one, but there's no jacket for that one - damn!

SorenLorensen Mon 06-Oct-08 11:47:10

Well, I've had a look at Monsoon and John Lewis (have you been to John Lewis? More in store than online) and nothing jumps out at me. But then, if I was any good at this, I wouldn't have worn my black trouser suit, would I grin?

JoolsToo Mon 06-Oct-08 11:49:39

oh yes! did the Trafford Centre t'other week with dd. There's not a lot about. I wanted a skirt suit with a long skirt. Not that an extreme a request but you try and find one.

We're going to Manchester soon, if I don't have a nervous breakdown first!

SorenLorensen Mon 06-Oct-08 11:53:23

My Mum struggled too - and she was mother of the groom. I can't remember where she got her outfit (skirt suit) but I know it was in the Trafford Centre. It's an awkward time of year because a lot of stuff in the shops is a bit too Christmas party-ish - it's OK for the reception, but you'd feel a bit overdone for the daytime bit.

SorenLorensen Mon 06-Oct-08 12:01:47

It was Jacques Vert

pooka Mon 06-Oct-08 12:04:35

Jools - I wore that very dress (the first link grey/black shiny one) to a wedding recently. looked lovely.

I know it doesn't come with a jacket, but black is easy enough to find, or something silvery?

JoolsToo Mon 06-Oct-08 12:07:42

thanks, the only thing I really like on there is the shantung silk dress in black and white - there's a nice pair of shoes on there as well!

JoolsToo Mon 06-Oct-08 12:08:55

yes, that's what I was thinking pooka

hmmm maybe, I haven't tried it on yet, but Phase Eight seem to fit me well.

JoolsToo Mon 06-Oct-08 17:01:01

am I too bloody old for fashion advice or summat?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now