Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

natural hair colour - does anyone actually do it?

(53 Posts)
earthpixie Sun 05-Oct-08 17:47:34

I'm just nosy - I think every woman I know dyes or at least high/lowlights their hair!

Does anyone just have what nature doled out?

I think I would if I still had the lovely reddy gold hair I had at 22. Now it's dark murky blonde.

LetThemEatCake Sun 05-Oct-08 17:50:36

yes, have never coloured my hair, neither at home nor salon

but discovered first grey hair recently so maybe this is soom to change!!

FattipuffsandThinnifers Sun 05-Oct-08 17:53:05

I have never put any colour in my hair either. It's really dark though, so have always thought there was nothing that would look any good anyway. But grey hairs proliferating now though so have to bite the bullet I guess.

earthpixie Sun 05-Oct-08 17:53:42

Have you a strong natural colour, Cake?

wotsits Sun 05-Oct-08 17:53:53

Never coloured my hair either (dark brown/black), but now have lots of grey hair. Will have to bite the bullet and start dyeing soon though.

lulumama Sun 05-Oct-08 17:54:54

my mum does, she has lovely silvery white hair in a one lenght bob.. although she spent years dyeing it , she looks great her natural colour

i on the other hand colour my hair monthly ! grin

stayinbed Sun 05-Oct-08 17:54:58

have never coloured my hair and hope not to have to start for as long as possible. my hair is brown with auburn highlights

caoutchouc Sun 05-Oct-08 17:55:11

Yep - short and natural. I shimmer like Christmas tinsel.

wotsits Sun 05-Oct-08 17:55:34

Fattipuffs, snap at bullet-biting! Great minds and all that smile

LetThemEatCake Sun 05-Oct-08 17:56:25

um, dunno pixie. Dark brown, maybe a few reddish tones. Nothing gorgeous. Pic on profile.

beansmum Sun 05-Oct-08 17:56:35

I used to colour it, now I can't afford to. It's an ok colour anyway, really dark brown and no greys yet.

expatinscotland Sun 05-Oct-08 17:57:21

no, because nature doled out 50% grey to me and i'm only 37.

the greys are wiry and coarse, so i dye and highlight.

earthpixie Sun 05-Oct-08 17:59:34

I'm getting the vibe that it's darker-haired lovelies who are happier not to dye.

I guess it's because lighter colours tend to dull and darken pretty early in life (she said with trembling lips)

ilovemyghds Sun 05-Oct-08 18:00:15

I don't, but have just started to get a couple of white hairs so will have to now I think. It is really dark naturally though so could never have gone blonde as it would look silly (wish I could have tried it though). I think that some people think I dye it the colour it is.

My hair is naturally curly so will have to dye the white bits (which are underneath so not noticeable yet) as when I leave it curl it goes a bit frizzy which would not look good with 'salt and pepper' type hair colouring. Think you can get away with this if your hair is sleek.

expatinscotland Sun 05-Oct-08 18:00:17

my hair that's not grey is dark.

i don't like all that grey so i dye it.

RustyBear Sun 05-Oct-08 18:00:46

You don't have to dye it just because you're going grey - I have never coloured my hair - and I don't intend to. But I have very dark hair, which I think goes grey better than blonde or light brown - I think the evenly distributed grey looks attractive & so does DH, which is what matters. (I'm still a little envy of the fact that at 53 DH still doesn't have a single grey hair though!)

brimfull Sun 05-Oct-08 18:00:51

i occassionally (how do you spell that word) dye wih semi perm colour as have few grey hairs(lucky genetics ) natural colour still ok though...am 46

MarshaBrady Sun 05-Oct-08 18:01:37

I do have the usual hightlights (have mid to light blonde hair).

But a friend has never died her long blonde hair and that I find quite unusual. It looks good.

solo Sun 05-Oct-08 18:01:58

I love my natural colour and now that I have to cover the grey, I try to get as near to my natural colour as possible. I've never had hi/low lites, never gone blond or anything else either.

ilovemyghds Sun 05-Oct-08 18:03:25

I would agree earthpixie - very few of my blonde/fair friends are naturally that way (if any) even if some were as children.

stayinbed Sun 05-Oct-08 18:04:53

my mother is 60 and has never died her hair. she used to have brownish/carrot coloured hair and it is now sort of rusty coloured. it probably looks better than if she would dye it. i would probably look silly if i tried to ad highlights

trefusis Sun 05-Oct-08 18:07:21

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Sun 05-Oct-08 18:08:26

Message withdrawn

cocoleBOO Sun 05-Oct-08 18:09:37

Dear God no! I've been dying for years.
Is that the right spelling? hmm

FluffyMummy123 Sun 05-Oct-08 18:10:01

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: