Talk

Advanced search

Shopping in Kingston - what is good? I've never been out of the Bentall Centre

(32 Posts)
TheBlonde Sat 04-Oct-08 17:04:02

We are going to Kingston tomorrow
Other than John Lewis we've never left the Bentall Centre so no idea what shops are where

Any recommendations?

SqueakyPop Sat 04-Oct-08 17:06:22

There are the usual High Street shops - nothing special.

The big draw is John Lewis.

TheBlonde Sat 04-Oct-08 17:48:02

I assume there is an argos

hana Sat 04-Oct-08 17:53:04

yes has all the usuals
are you looking for clothes for you or kids?
there is an argos

ChippyMinton Sat 04-Oct-08 17:54:22

round the market place - Kew, Woolies, a bookshop (Waterstones??), Hobbs etc.
TKMaxx by the bridge

SqueakyPop Sat 04-Oct-08 17:54:32

There is an Argos - along from C&A and near Burger King, I think.

SqueakyPop Sat 04-Oct-08 17:56:19

This all makes Kingston sound rather dreary, but it really is a great shopping place. There are lots of interesting places to eat along the riverside.

My aupair has gone there for the first time today to meet up with new friends. She discovered a new direct train service (20 mintues), and I am quite excited about it as parking is a 'mare.

hana Sat 04-Oct-08 17:56:53

bookshop is Borders - great place to waste time, have starbucks or costa coffee inside

CatMandu Sat 04-Oct-08 17:57:05

Big primark too.

SqueakyPop Sat 04-Oct-08 17:58:30

Is the Borders formerly Waterstones (ie opposite Subway and near Woollies?)

ChippyMinton Sat 04-Oct-08 18:09:08

The bookshop that has a rather grand wooden staircase? It's lovely. Could be Borders (I'm usually browsing rather than buying so don't take much notice )

TheBlonde Sat 04-Oct-08 18:16:48

Thanks everyone
Looking for clothes for me & DH and a coat for DD
The bit I love about Kingston is the creche grin

Liffey Sat 04-Oct-08 18:18:57

Yes Starbucks above borders. I'm from Dublin and I know that!

I love Kingston. Shopping shangrila. A big branch of every shop.

Wheelybug Sat 04-Oct-08 18:28:47

Nothing's too far from the bentall centre and the best kids shops are in bentalls (gap, h&m, zara, Pop).

Depends what you want for you - most of the best shops are out of the bentalls but not far. Either on the pedestrianised bit outside (more your midmarket - also in bentalls) or higher end stuff in the bit round the market (hobbs, whistles, karen millen etc).

I love kingston I do.

EyeballsintheSky Sat 04-Oct-08 18:29:32

I was brought up shopping in Kingston, still do and it's brilliant. A good big branch of any shop you can think of.

TheBlonde Sat 04-Oct-08 18:32:04

Hi Wheelybug smile
I will check out the market bit then

Is Eden Walk shopping centre any good?

Wheelybug Sat 04-Oct-08 18:33:34

Not really - although I think the french connection is there, also another H&M, boots, clintons, Ann Summers, habitat, back of M&S... erm can't think of anything else....

TheBlonde Sat 04-Oct-08 19:34:05

Thanks, I will skip that bit then

foxinsocks Sat 04-Oct-08 19:38:26

the clothes bits are probably best in Bentalls centre (and John Lewis) and then the market place (with Kew and Next and Reiss etc.).

Also, if you go out the back exit of the Bentalls centre (out the exit where the starbucks is) you come right out onto Sports World and there are a few clothes shops there (a Fat Face and some others...). Haven't been in the others but have just clocked them...also if you walk along to the end of that road and turn right, there's a Uniqlo and some ski/camping/coat type shops round there (you can also get there by walking to the Clarks and then keeping going along the road to the left. If you turn right there and cross over, pass the McDonalds, a little passage comes up on your left and if you go down there, that's where the Argos is (and a Lidl!)).

SqueakyPop Sat 04-Oct-08 19:38:39

Eden Walk is M&S, Boots, BHS, Habitat, H&M, and I'm sure a few more.

fymandbean Sat 04-Oct-08 19:46:55

go to waggamamas for lunch (at back of market square a few doors down from Laura Ashley....always a favourite with us for lunch!

PortAndLemon Sat 04-Oct-08 19:50:19

If you like Monsoon, I've found the Kingston Monsoon a very good branch.

Kewcumber Sat 04-Oct-08 19:51:20

TKMazz xan be either great or crap depending on whether they've had a recent deivery

TheBlonde Sat 04-Oct-08 20:24:34

Thanks

Wheelybug Sun 05-Oct-08 19:14:46

How did you get on (in the rain) ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now