Talk

Advanced search

Saggy boobs, stopped bf two weeks ago, bra advice needed....

(46 Posts)
cantpickyourfamily Wed 01-Oct-08 15:21:43

Oh my god they feel soooo empty, I am in my early twenties I am a single parent and they are hanging down to my knees.... shock.

Not quite my knees as they are so small but they are horrible...

Does anyone know of anything I could do to make them look fuller other than having a boob job or starting bf again... grin.

Also how long should I wait before getting measured for a new bra and can anyone recommend some lovely bras that give good shape and do not break the bank...

DeJaVous Wed 01-Oct-08 15:24:50

The pressure of the milk drives the fat out of your norks. If you were to put some weight on and then loose it again you should retain some fat in your boobs IYSWIM.

I'm not sure how long you should wait before getting fitted, has your milk now gone completely?

kt14 Wed 01-Oct-08 15:25:05

I've had to buy padded underwired bra's ever since ds2. Never even owned a padded one before when i was a respectable 34d.

Gutting but they are slowly making a recovery!

Get down to M&S, they do a really nice basic range for about £10, so won't break the bank if you only wear them for a few weeks.

mrsshapelybottom Wed 01-Oct-08 15:29:13

My boobs are very shallow at the top but fuller underneath (like spaniels ears smile), I wear a 32c but because of the shape of them a normal push up bra or full cup bra is too big.....I find that a balconette bra is perfect....have a look here: balconette bra

cantpickyourfamily Wed 01-Oct-08 15:40:09

Dejavous - I think the milk has gone completely, I have read on MN that some people can squeeze after 6years and still get some milk, I have not tried to squeeze any out as if that is the case I would rather not know... wink.

But I hope the milk is all gone as cannot bear them getting any more empty sad...

Did this happen to you re putting on weight and keeping some boobs?

I don't want to put on any weight as have just lost it all and look bad enough as it is...

cantpickyourfamily Wed 01-Oct-08 15:41:48

They just feel sooo light and empty, I hate them... Should never have bf for 14months... I only planned to bf for 6months...

DeJaVous Wed 01-Oct-08 15:57:27

cantpickyourfamily - my mum fed for a total of 4 years (spread over 2 children). I remember her breasts being a spaniel-earish when I was small but the look FANTASTIC now. She hasn't had any surgery.

TBH the saggieness of breasts has much more to do with pregnancy than BF.

Am still BF myself so don't speak from personal experience.

DeJaVous Wed 01-Oct-08 16:00:38

Meant to say the improvement happened when she put on and lost weight.

Oh, and having BF for 14 months you have a lower risk of breast cancer than women who breast fed for a shorter period. Surely that's a bonus worth having?

mrsshapelybottom Wed 01-Oct-08 16:20:46

Cantpick, mine are saggy after 3 pregnancies & I bottlefed, so it might be nothing to do with the bf at all - it's hard getting used to post baby body isn't it? I have awful spider & varicose veins all down one leg which means I will never wear skirts again sigh

cantpickyourfamily Wed 01-Oct-08 16:43:25

Dejavous - how much weight did she put on and loose again?

So what your saying is I should hit the chocolate even more than usual?? grin

cantpickyourfamily Wed 01-Oct-08 16:44:14

mrsshapley - mine are not just saggy they are weightless... yuk... and I have a really saggy belly...

DeJaVous Wed 01-Oct-08 16:47:20

No idea, sorry. She went from about a 10 to a 14ish and back down 10ish.

It really does have more to do with pregnancy than BF. Not that that helps at all, but it is a factsmile

Mine were stretched to buggery and hanging low before I even got pregnant, so I dread to think what they'll be like when I stop BF. I wont find out for ages though, DD is still feeding and I've just found out I'm expecting DC2...

cantpickyourfamily Wed 01-Oct-08 16:49:32

oh gosh I cannot out on that much weight as might never loose it again...

Congrats on dc2... how old is dd1?

DeJaVous Wed 01-Oct-08 16:53:47

Thanks! She's 10 months, it's going to be busy in the DeJa householdgrin

I think normal fluctuations in weight should get some fat back into your boobs over time. My mum didn't put on the weight to sort her norks out, was a pleasant side effect!

cantpickyourfamily Wed 01-Oct-08 17:02:18

ahh should be a nice age gap, better to have them close together than to wait too long...

Well lets hope for the best re boobs, I wish I could just take the fat from my hips and put in into my boobs... grin

DeJaVous Wed 01-Oct-08 17:04:06

It wold be ideal if we cold order our fat deposits around!

Tis the age gap I'd hoped for, am very luckysmile

FattipuffsandThinnifers Wed 01-Oct-08 17:07:14

Rigby & Peller do the best bras IMO, but v expensive. However, as a rule of thumb they advise getting a much smaller back size than you would normally do, and bigger cup size. Apparently the smaller the back size the better the support. Amazing results!! (Only while you've got the bra on of course grin) I always thought I was 34D/DD but recently got fitted and am wearing 30F now - my tits look like they have risen by inches and I have a cleavage again!

You don't have to buy a R&P bra to get the same effect. Freya (in dept stores) are made by the same folk and are reasonably priced. I've always liked Elle McPherson aswell.

Btw it may take a bit of a while after stopping bf but they probably will get fuller again. Mine have a year after stopping bf.

cantpickyourfamily Wed 01-Oct-08 18:14:12

fattipuffs - good news to hear there is a possibility they will improve.. gosh that is a massive different in size..

i wore a 34c before pregnancy then 34d while nursing, but my sister said I am way to small to wear a 34 anything, I get measured at M&S, do you think they are accurate?

I once went to a differnt M&S two days in a row and was given two different measurements...

DeJaVous Wed 01-Oct-08 18:25:20

OK, the bra size thing is rather confusing and an awful lot of women wear the wrong size bra.

For example, a 34a has the same size cup as a 32b and a 30c. The only difference is the size around the rib cage. A bra should support the breasts via the band around the ribs rather than the shoulder straps IYSWIM.

To find out your real bra size you need to meause around your ribs directly underneath the breast and then around the fullest part of your breast. The difference in inches gives the size, rib measurement + 1" is an a cup + 2" is a b cup and so on.

If you like me have long, insubstantial breasts you might need to put a bra on to get a measure.

Once you have your size remember that it's only a guide, the sizing in bras is no more universal than in trousers. Go for the one that fits best and gives the best shape. A bra should be tight around your ribs and put minimal pressure on your shoulders.

One last thing, always fit a bra on the tightest row of hooks so it still fitts well as it relaxes with use.

Blimey that was very longhmm

DeJaVous Wed 01-Oct-08 18:28:22

Oh, and M&S are generally crapolla at fitting bras, usually far to big around the back. They do have good bras though.

It's a long time since I've bought a bra in the UK so I can't remember the names of any shops. I think one good one was called something like Harraways? No idea. If you mention a few it's bound to jog my memorysmile

cantpickyourfamily Wed 01-Oct-08 21:31:53

thanks for the tips, so I am 31 underneath and 35 at the fullest part with a bra on, so what does that make me?

phdlife Wed 01-Oct-08 21:41:03

I had a good fitting at Debenhams last year.

they did just what DJV said.

btw, DJV, how/why has breast size got to do with pregnancy rather than bfing? you've got my curiosity now...

mum2samandalex Wed 01-Oct-08 22:44:58

Im in exactly the same position with my boobs first time round i was fine but now they are empty and sagging.

One question are you supposed to wear a bra to bed?

I never did before dc but did during pregnancy and now fel if dont even though i hate it they will sag even more

DeJaVous Thu 02-Oct-08 09:34:16

cantpickyourfamily - that would make you either a 30d or a 32c, it will depend on the cut of the bra in question. Just try lots and you'll find a good one. I suspect you'll end up with a 30d, but it's hard to say as I haven't seen you in RL! Remember, the band should be really tightsmile

phdlife - I meant that the destruction of pert norks is a side effect of pregnancy rather than BF. That's when all the big changes take place, obviously there's the engorgement when the milk comes in, but TBH that is going to be longer lasting and more extreme in women who FF from birth and therefore don't remove the milk. DYSWIM?

mum2samandalex - wearing a bra in bed isn't a bad idea, it needs to be well fitting and very soft though.

MamaHobgoblin Thu 02-Oct-08 12:02:26

If you're near London, I'd still advise a trip to R&P - they are dead lovely in there and there's no pressure to buy their v v expensive bras. I've been there three times now, in last 3 years and bought 2 bras there blush but lots more elsewhere, as now I have a much better idea of boob size.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now