Talk

Advanced search

Need a dark brown hair colour which doesn't have red tones in it and fade to reddish brown

(22 Posts)
Justcallmereallystupid Fri 26-Sep-08 21:29:31

Anyone got any ideas, I have a few grey hairs coming through but past experience with
professional semi's leave me with red tones rather than dark brown. Anyone use a good one ...

maidamess Fri 26-Sep-08 21:33:43

I use Garnier Nutrisse in Medium Brown...but it IS dark...infact it looked black initially. But my hair is very porous and I did leave it on for ages.

When you say 'red' do you mean gingery ? Because this is def. not that,it covered all my grey and seems to be not fading at all.

fishie Fri 26-Sep-08 21:34:42

daniel field
there is red brown
or burgundy red
i like the second one.

any colour which needs two things mixed together has peroxide in so you are bleaching / fucking up hair rather than just covering up grey.

Justcallmereallystupid Fri 26-Sep-08 21:53:26

Yes I mean gingery.. today for instance in the sunshine i looked like i dyed my hair red !!! I had this put on professionally as well . Maieamess does you hair have a tendancy to go red with our hair colours ?

spudballoo Fri 26-Sep-08 21:55:56

Oh GOD this is happening to me too, I had no idea it was an issue i should be trying to work around! I'm naturally brunette, a few grey hairs, have been using Clairol Nice & Easy dark brown, but end up very gingery red and not a flattering colour in a few weeks.

EEEEK.

So what should we be using? I really don't suit burgundy coloured hair.

fishie Fri 26-Sep-08 21:56:38

you are bleaching your hair.

so it looks lighter when the tint wears off.

Heated Fri 26-Sep-08 21:59:11

I think you need dark ash brown rather than one with warm tones. I have copper tones naturally in my hair so any dye with red in it just gives it that belisher beacon glow as it fades or if it lightens in the sun!

Will be watching this thread with interest since my colourant only lasts about 2 weeks and am concerned about over-processing my hair.

Heated Fri 26-Sep-08 22:00:57

never heard of daniel field products before -are they readily available?

Shitemum Fri 26-Sep-08 22:01:50

I only discovered recently that all makes of hair dye use the same numbering system! My hairdresser told me to use a 'whole' number if I wanted to cover the grey and dye my hair at home. So if you buy '7', for example, you get a mid blond with no red or burgundy or whatever in it and if you buy '6' you get the next darkest shade - a sort of mid brown. The numbers with points in them, for example 7.3, have red or whatever added.

Heated Fri 26-Sep-08 22:06:58

just been reading the daniel field site - thanks for the nod fishie - it's been explaining where I'm going wrong

Justcallmereallystupid Fri 26-Sep-08 22:14:55

Well i know my hairdresser added ash to the colour and mixed together but it hasn't bloody worked!!!! going to check out dnaiel field site as well. Fishie if you have any other advice let me know. Heated let me know as well if you try another colour .

Justcallmereallystupid Fri 26-Sep-08 22:20:53

Fishie just looked at Daniel Field site going to ring them and try one of their colours. Anything got to be better than my own at minute.

Spud look at Daniel Field site could be your answer too .

LackaDAISYcal Fri 26-Sep-08 22:24:45

<looks on with interest after appraising her two tone dark brown/orange hair in the mirror>

Justcallmereallystupid Fri 26-Sep-08 22:29:37

Lack I am glad I'm not the only one. You have made me laugh though.....

Heated Fri 26-Sep-08 22:35:53

Oh why doesn't the site have a colour chart?? I know they say computers don't give a true representation, but what't the closest to a dark ash brown? It is Natural brown, walnut, or natural darker brown? <confused emoticon>

What have you gone for JustCallMe?

LackaDAISYcal Fri 26-Sep-08 22:36:16

I have about 4 months growth at the roots that is my natural colour and the rest (to my shoulders) is faded orangey red and brittle/porous.

Not sure how I'd even do a strand test on that little lot to get the desired effect? I really can't afford to pay £70 to get it done professionally though.

I did have good results that didn't go too reddish with Loreal Preference, but I can't remember which shade. The last one was Nice and Easy mid orange brown that came free from where else but Red magazine (pmsl grin)

Aimsmum Fri 26-Sep-08 22:39:42

Message withdrawn

Justcallmereallystupid Fri 26-Sep-08 22:50:32

I think I will call them tomorrow and ask what they recommend. Either dark ash brown or ebony ? But either way do not want to keep messing with my hair haven't used a colour for about ten years because of this problem but my hairdresser convinced me that colours have changed .... THEY HAVEN'T. Will let you know tomorrow Heated.

singingtree Sat 27-Sep-08 07:17:29

Definitely try Daniel Field - it has solved the problem for me - no more gingery brown hair.

singingtree Sat 27-Sep-08 07:21:35

Daniel Field colours do come up very dark by the way

spudballoo Sat 27-Sep-08 14:33:40

I'm so pleased I found this thread. I really had no idea what stupid damage I'm doing to my now ginger hair grin. Daniel Field it is...

lulumama Sat 27-Sep-08 14:37:35

boots do one in their botanics range called bitter chocolate which is dark brown and quite a deep colour, no red to speak of

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now