Talk

Advanced search

it's a daytime (late afternoon) do, going on into a 7.30 dinner, dress code for men is 'lounge suits', what does that mean for me?

(13 Posts)
lucykate Wed 24-Sep-08 13:15:06

trouser suit?, dress?, glitzy or just smart casual?

help!

katch Wed 24-Sep-08 13:23:46

There's loads of lovely dresses around atm, great with perhaps high-heeled boots/ thick tights and smart shoes? Don't know what the 'do' is, but that's my current 'fall-back'.

RubySlippers Wed 24-Sep-08 13:24:21

cocktail

Not full length

Twiglett Wed 24-Sep-08 13:25:17

cocktail

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 24-Sep-08 13:25:30

cocktail dress

MamaG Wed 24-Sep-08 13:27:08

I hate the phrase cocktail dress. I always imagine somebody in fancy dress, in a big margherita glass or similar

georgiemum Wed 24-Sep-08 13:28:00

smart, heels, not glam. No pearls.

MadreInglese Wed 24-Sep-08 13:29:14

lounge suits just makes me think of something like this

Anna8888 Wed 24-Sep-08 13:35:13

Lounge suits = men's work suit, shirt and tie.

You should wear a short evening dress or smart trousers and top, with heels and an evening bag. Don't bare all, and don't be too twinkly.

lucykate Wed 24-Sep-08 15:05:03

eeek, may have to go dress shopping then! i can do smart casual, but struggle with dressy. raiding all my friends wardrobes may be an option too. it's a portrait exhibition at one of the colleges in cambridge (dh said, think 'brideshead revisited'), but as dh is now the new president of the royal society of portrait painters, it's the first do we've been to together as mr & mrs president!, i'm usually at home with the kids but we've got a babysitter this time.

Anna8888 Wed 24-Sep-08 15:07:11

Sounds like a fabulous excuse to spend a lot of money to me, since you will be so visible grin.

Negotiate a budget with your DH (who should be paying for this outfit, of course wink) and get back to this thread for suggestions...

overthemill Wed 24-Sep-08 17:35:51

you definitely need a cocktail dress! you can try monsoon or phase eight or or hobbs coast or debenhams - heels and a good bag you will need a few things for other occasions so you could try a personal shopper in john lewis/selfridges?

lucky you! (and congrats to your dh)

lucykate Thu 25-Sep-08 18:19:13

right, i have been into leicester today to the new shopping centre, it's huge! i haven't been into leicester properly for years, was a real trip down memory lane, went to the market as i used to go there a lot as a student and mooch round the second hand stalls, i got a 'wrap' dress (as in the label wrap) for £1!!, and after a bit of window shopping spotted a nice dress in h&m, so i bought it. it's grey with cream/beige/rust flowers on it, and i really like it. not a full on cocktail dress but smart enough to go in and still feel comfortable in it, and still feel like me iykwim. will wear in with some very high beige shoes, and have a smart beige cardigan to go over the top and a vintage rust handbag. thanks for the advice everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now