Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do you continue to dye your hair during pregnancy? Other treatments?

(16 Posts)
electra Wed 24-Sep-08 10:55:03

I'm 11 weeks pregnant and usually have my hair done every 6 weeks. It didn't even occur to me to stop but I have just read something rather worrying about chemicals being absorbed into the body -eek!!

Also what about other things? Do those of you who have botox stop? I don't have that but do occasionally have lip fillers.

I'm a little worried now -- nobody has ever mentioned hair dye being a problem.

Tortington Wed 24-Sep-08 10:59:35

holland & Barratt do a rather good natural one - it comes in a box and looks just like a normal hair dye. - its not all sprig of coriandar - mortar pestle and lemon grin which was my worry when my hairdresser told me

electra Wed 24-Sep-08 11:10:47

Thanks for that - I'm not sure how worried I should be that I have done some sort of damage.....but I suppose it's too late anyway.

mindalina Wed 24-Sep-08 11:11:51

I dyed my hair throughout my pregnancy, felt grim enough without having six inch roots as well wink but I looked at a lot of stuff online to reassure myself that it would be ok. DP was uncomfortable with me bleaching my hair so I went dark for the duration of my pregnancy, although he had no real basis for that, just felt funny about it.

I don't know anything about botox or lip fillers I'm afraid. I'd assume if you ask the person who normally does them for you they would be able to advise?

fanjolina Wed 24-Sep-08 11:21:28

Actually mindalina, going dark is more dangerous than going lighter during pregnancy!

fanjolina Wed 24-Sep-08 11:22:01

Oh, and Electra you definitely can't have botox when pregnant. Not sure about lip fillers.

MarlaSinger Wed 24-Sep-08 11:25:05

I had my hair dyed throughout pregnancy. Foils and all over colour. And bleach, once.

I thought the biggest 'risk' was that your hair might react different/not hold the colour well.

expatmama Wed 24-Sep-08 11:26:55

I dyed my terrible grey roots brunette every 3 weeks (I looked like a badger if I didn't do it that frequently!) through my 2 pregnancies.

smugmumofboys Wed 24-Sep-08 11:29:07

I had mine done throughout pregnancy but I did have a reaction to my usual dye so speak to your hairdresser first.

In my case, the colour really stung my scalp. It was unbearable and had to be removed pronto and a different product used (which was fine thank God - I'm far too vain to have had grey roots for 9 months!)

Bubbaluv Wed 24-Sep-08 11:30:09

Why would something made of "natural" ingredients be any safer than something made of "unnatural" ingredients? Lots of natural things are poisonous. I would be more inclined to trust something that was created specifically for it's purpose!
Anyway, I thought the whole hair-dye thing had been de-bunked as a myth?

Bubbaluv Wed 24-Sep-08 11:30:33

Why would something made of "natural" ingredients be any safer than something made of "unnatural" ingredients? Lots of natural things are poisonous. I would be more inclined to trust something that was created specifically for it's purpose!
Anyway, I thought the whole hair-dye thing had been de-bunked as a myth?

electra Wed 24-Sep-08 13:29:33

Thanks for replies smile Yes, I have my hair darker and I heard that was worse than highlights in terms of risk...

SexyMilf Wed 24-Sep-08 13:37:53

Modern hiar dyes should not affect your pregnancy and def not in the 2 and 3 trimester. Just make sure your hairdresser knows

I dyed my hair throughout 2 pregnancies and everything was fine smile

electra Wed 24-Sep-08 17:58:01

Thanks SM, I did tell my hairdresser last time and she didn't seem to think it would be a problem so hopefully it will be ok I guess.

expatinscotland Wed 24-Sep-08 17:59:13

yes, i've dyed my hair all the way through all my pregnancies.

it's about 50% grey.

i don't have any other treatments other than waxing, which i do myself.

Sycamoretree Wed 24-Sep-08 18:07:54

I discovered a great product which is great for when you're pregnant (am still using it now): Daniel Field Organic Water Colour. It's cruelty free and suitable for Vegans too.

You can buy online at Honesty cosmetics here

Doesn't have any of the nasties in it that are potentially harmful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now