Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I coloured my hair and now i hate it

(16 Posts)
bigspender30 Mon 22-Sep-08 16:32:19

I used a herbal essence non peroxide non ammonia job and its BRIGHT red. I feel like Jonathan Ross' wife and its just not me. So my question is, can I put another colour over the top of it and will it calm it down a bit or should i just go to salon?

NomDePlume Mon 22-Sep-08 16:33:13

I'd go to a salon. At least they'll be able to put that colour stripper stuff on it.

Megglevache Mon 22-Sep-08 16:35:35

If it's bright red though you should be able to apply a warm brown. I think the only problem is when blonde isthe colour then people try to add a dark over ther top which turns out looking a disastrous khaki green- it needs red AFAIK.

The colour saounds amazing BTW- sorry.

Post a pic!!!

bigspender30 Mon 22-Sep-08 16:36:16

does that wreck your hair? ( obviously years of colouring and straightening are doing my hair the world of good!)
Has anyone had that stuff put on their hair?

bigspender30 Mon 22-Sep-08 16:37:50

oh Megglevache, I can hardly leave the house let alone post a pic!
I look like a goth............

ledodgy Mon 22-Sep-08 16:40:20

Is it a permanent colour?

bigspender30 Mon 22-Sep-08 16:43:31

yes its permanent. oh lord what have I done??

Megglevache Mon 22-Sep-08 16:45:19

It is fixable.

Shall I ring my hairdresser friend now for you?

ledodgy Mon 22-Sep-08 16:46:40

Yes you'll have to see a hairdresser then. I did this with jet black not long after I had my first baby, I blame the hormones. It cost a bloody bomb to have it put right though!

bigspender30 Mon 22-Sep-08 16:54:58

oh megglevache that would be great! Will cat you the history!

Megglevache Mon 22-Sep-08 16:55:40

will chk e mail now.

Megglevache Mon 22-Sep-08 17:02:35

Ok have just spoken to her. If you want to tone down the red she suggests using a semi permanent colour (doesn't matter what make) Apparently ignore the names they give the colours (like muffin brown and ebony surprise grin ) There is a universal colour number on the packet (she says on the right hand side) she suggests you ignore whats written on the boxes and look for a dye number 50 (this is a dark brown)

She said salon is better but if that's not possible then this will drastically tone it down and make you look a bit more normal smile

If you really want to mask the red use a perm colour in the same colour.

is that ok?

bigspender30 Mon 22-Sep-08 17:04:27

great thanks! Am going to go to the salon then in case i f*ck it up again. Thanks for your help x

Jewelsandgems Mon 22-Sep-08 17:05:12

Not sure if this is any help but red pigment is the smallest, which means it fades the quickest (even with perm colour). After a few washes with head and shoulders (they say the best for removing colour) you may find it a little less bright? hmm

Megglevache Mon 22-Sep-08 17:05:16

No problems, I am very curious about these mythical number now.

bigspender30 Mon 22-Sep-08 17:06:52

head and shoulders you say?? Brilliant-lucky for me I have a husband with dandruff haha!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: