Talk

Advanced search

Why, why, why are shoes so high this year?

(13 Posts)
LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 22-Sep-08 13:38:10

Do people really totter around the streets in footwear that resembles that worn by contestants on Strictly?
And, apart from knee-high boots which I practically live in, what can I wear with skirts and dresses that doesn't make me look like a six year old with unnaturally thick ankles(yes Clarks, I mean you and you patent flats).
FGS I am a grown woman who needs to WALK places.

cornsilk Mon 22-Sep-08 13:39:55

You're not meant to actually go out in them. They're just for slinking about in at home aren't they?

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 22-Sep-08 13:41:11

Well, that's what I thought when I saw them in magazines, but the actual shops are full of them so they must expect people to actually wear them in real life.

Katisha Mon 22-Sep-08 13:41:59

How right you are Lady G. I am already tall and don't need to feel like an Amazon. And I walk 2 miles a day getting to and from work.

Fimbo Mon 22-Sep-08 13:43:21

It annoys me too. Every mag you open is full of them. Just to impractical if you have to walk.

cornsilk Mon 22-Sep-08 13:45:45

People actually wear them to work and stuff? Good god!

TheMadHouse Mon 22-Sep-08 13:46:56

I misread this and though it said high in price. I am diddy and actually like those patent purple mary janes in clarks, but £45 for a pair of flat shoes - no way

HuwEdwards Mon 22-Sep-08 13:49:14

I thought this at the weekend. Was looking for a pair of court-style work shoes. But when I'm travelling I have to do a fair bit of walking and there is just no way I could walk even short distances in some of those that I tried on.

Thing is I'm only 5ft 3, so need some sort of heel.

snickersnack Mon 22-Sep-08 17:10:07

Interesting. I have just had a bit of a shoe-revelation. I was looking for a pair of work shoes and asked the assistant in Russell and Bromley the same question. She said that althought they look high, lots this season have a double platform - hard to explain, but the bit under the ball of the foot is built up so although the heel is high, the angle of your foot is not as high as it would be if there was an ordinary sole. So, hence, high but comfortable.

And she's right. I tried on a pair and it was incredible - not quite slipper-like, but so different to super high ordinary heels. Not sure I would walk miles in them, but certainly fine for wearing during the working day.

I would like to say I was resolute and walked away from the pretty but very very expensive shoes, but I was so impressed by the comfort and beauty (a rare combination in shoes) that I succumbed. I now will not be eating for the foreseeable future, and nor will my children, but hey...

FluffyMummy123 Mon 22-Sep-08 17:10:36

Message withdrawn

snickersnack Mon 22-Sep-08 17:17:06

These but with a double strap.

They are gorgeous. I feel quite dizzy at the thought of owning such lovely shoes. My boss caught me stroking them earlier blush Clearly I need to get a grip...

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 22-Sep-08 17:45:26

They are lovely. But sadly, not practical for my lifestyle.

LilRedWG Mon 22-Sep-08 17:47:06

Snicker - they are gorgeous. I used to live in shoes like that. Sadly my poor pelvis and back object violently if I go above a small heel now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now