Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

can birkenstocks be washed?

(30 Posts)
themildmannneredjanitor Sun 21-Sep-08 20:49:04

my gloriously comfy birkies are decidedly whiffy.

can they be chucked in the machine do you klnow?

hana Sun 21-Sep-08 20:50:06

no!

Bewilderbeast Sun 21-Sep-08 20:50:18

i don't think so but you can get some suede and leather combination cleaning spray which is quite good and means you can wipe them over with a damp cloth

BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 21-Sep-08 20:51:34

mmj I have a pair of size 6 birkies that I don't wear you can have

CAT me

smile

norkmaiden Sun 21-Sep-08 20:53:14

have washed mine - they came out fine!

themildmannneredjanitor Sun 21-Sep-08 21:06:45

aww thanks bald-but i wear a size 9!

so we think no eh?
just norkmaiden saying yes..mmmmm...will hold out for some more answers i think

themildmannneredjanitor Sun 21-Sep-08 21:07:21

birkies aren't actually leather are they? aren't they some funny fabric?

Lubyloo Sun 21-Sep-08 21:09:33

I scrub my Birkenstocks in hot water with bio washing powder. They came out clean and smelling sweet. No damage done at all.

TillyScoutsmum Sun 21-Sep-08 21:13:35

I've hand washed mine and they're fine. Haven't quite got the guts to put them in the machine though - I'm worried the corky stuff will break up and bugger the machine

BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 21-Sep-08 21:17:56

Okey doke

smile

Think they are cork soles and leather straps.

here £22.95

loads of offers on amazon

So you could bung 'em in the machine, replace realatively cheaply if it all goes 'orribly wrong

themildmannneredjanitor Sun 21-Sep-08 22:29:31

i think i will have a go at the hand washing.
they are so comfy now i ahve worn them in i would hate to have to start again.

i now need to find something equally comfy for the winter.

Dragonbutter Sun 21-Sep-08 22:31:19

Boys, i'm a 6. just so you know.wink
[on the scrounge emoticon]

brimfull Sun 21-Sep-08 22:32:59

i thought they weren't supposed to get wet

mine are getting whiffy as well

BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 21-Sep-08 22:33:22

CAT me DB.

They are not This Year's model, I just could not get on with them

Dragonbutter Mon 22-Sep-08 20:34:59

blush at my rudeness.
have catted you anyway!

janmoomoo Tue 23-Sep-08 13:33:35

I hand washed mine by scrubbing them over the sink with Vanish and a nail brush. Got them pretty wet but not submerged IYSWIM. They came out beautiful, the inner soles dont look manky anymore.

onceinalifetime Tue 23-Sep-08 13:38:18

I've done the same as janmoomoo and they came out fine.

MamaG Tue 23-Sep-08 13:39:04

oh GOD just bin the fugly things

Carriad Mon 06-Jun-11 18:15:12

Just taken the plunge (well my Birkies did anyway!) and washed them by hand - so stinky couldn't stand it any more! Just waiting for them to dry out on a towel. While we are on this subject matter, any suggestions/advice for a pair that have begun to make an embarrasing 'squelchy' sound when I walk - reminiscent of a fart! I do get some strange looks, so much that I have stopped wearing them out. I LOVE them and they are the comfiest shoes ever so PLEASE any solutions, tried and tested preferably, would be much appreciated!

treesinthebreeze Mon 06-Jun-11 20:55:39

I've machine washed mine many times and they are fine. Some of the cork at the front is starting to break but that's probably because I've been wearing them for 3 years! Mine got so whiffy blush that it was either throw them away or chance them in the machine so had nothing to lose really.

milkysmum Mon 06-Jun-11 20:59:37

Carriad-My new ones do the squelchy noise too- would love to know how to stop this!!!

BelleOfTheBawl Mon 06-Jun-11 21:29:04

OP you can buy birkenstock trainers and boots boots again and more boots that might do you for when it's too cold for regulasr birkies

Millie1 Mon 06-Jun-11 21:42:53

Are Birkies really actually comfortable and good for lots of walking? I tried a pair of Madrids on at the weekend and the strap felt very stiff - does it soften up? Is it worth taking a chance and which style is best for walking lots - mustn't have a toe post!! Bit of a hijack but thanks grin

Ixia Mon 06-Jun-11 21:57:49

I have Madrids, yes they do soften up, felt a bit stiff and awkward at first, but as they were only £19 in TKMaxx, it was worth taking a chance on them. I'm glad I did as they are sooo comfy, yet they still look smart and haven't gone all tatty looking like other similar style sandals.

Btw TKMaxx has them at £22 at the moment, colours are a bit random though.

Selks Mon 06-Jun-11 22:03:55

I bought these Birkenstocks in the spring and (weather allowing) they've hardly been off my feet either. Comfiest sandals ever, and look great under jeans. These

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: