Talk

Advanced search

where does the best kids 'play clothes' cheap as chips?

(23 Posts)
misdee Sun 21-Sep-08 15:20:36

dd3 has started nursery, most of her clothes are too 'nice' to be covered in paint, mud, the yellow staining sandpit etc etc.

i want to get her some basic joggers, plain jeans, t-shirts and a couple of cardies/jumpers.

everything lately seems to be too frilly, pink or too much money.

cant seem to find the sort of things dd1+2 wore in nursery anywhere.

have a budget of about £30-40 if that!

isaidno Sun 21-Sep-08 15:24:36

primark?
woolworths have a basic range too.

pgwithnumber3 Sun 21-Sep-08 15:24:59

Hmm, hard one because cheap as chips tends to look cheap as chips as well, is that okay with you? If so, any of the supermarkets will tend to do basics and if you can't find plain jeans in the girls department, try the boys. Ebay always good, you could get better quality. How old is your DD3?

SmugColditz Sun 21-Sep-08 15:25:02

Asda, or honest to God, charity shops./

meglet Sun 21-Sep-08 15:26:02

Tesco, Asda and Primark should be cheap enough to get you a few things. Although Primark sizes can be a bit small.

Or you could spend an hour checking out the local charity shops. My friend gets loads of nice cheap stuff from them, but you do need time to rummage.

misdee Sun 21-Sep-08 15:26:23

neither of those in town.

are any of the supermarkets doing anything?

preferably without 'babe' 'sweet' or any other slogan emblazoned across the butt of joggers.

misdee Sun 21-Sep-08 15:27:57

i dont mind it looking cheap, as long as not cheap tarty iykwim.

dd3 is 3.5yrs old.

pgwithnumber3 Sun 21-Sep-08 15:28:10

Just looked at your profile, gorgeous girls, I will have 3 as well in Feb!

Noticed your DH is awaiting a heart transplant, hope he is okay. My dear cousin had one 6 years ago, he is marvellous now. He was only 26. Had it in Wythenshawe.

trefusis Sun 21-Sep-08 15:28:38

Message withdrawn

pgwithnumber3 Sun 21-Sep-08 15:29:10

misdee, do you not have any hand me downs from your eldest DDs? How about leggings and long t-shirts etc? Dead cheap and easy for them to wear.

compo Sun 21-Sep-08 15:29:11

or ebay

misdee Sun 21-Sep-08 15:31:11

pg, dh had his transplant lasyt august, he is doing really well now.

i dont have any hand me downs that fit dd3 currently. dd2 was in this size clothing when she was age 1-2, as she was (still is) excessively tall for her age, so laods went when we last moved house.

i have a few bits, but not enough for a weeks worth of nursery.

RubyRioja Sun 21-Sep-08 15:31:11

our preschool uses leggings/track pants and polo shirts with sweats - cheap and handy for going to the loo. We choose bright primary colours so cheerful and yo can buy multipacks. Asda is fav

misdee Sun 21-Sep-08 15:34:27

will check tesco this week. but if any slogans on butts of joggers, i wont be happy. i made that mistake before, and dd2 ended up with 'babe' on her butt. i was not impressed.

pgwithnumber3 Sun 21-Sep-08 15:34:35

Oops, sorry! Glad he is doing well, such a hard thing to go through, it was awful for my Aunt and Uncle.

I am about to do a clear out of DD1's wardrobe, there is 5 years between DD1 and DD2 so won't be keeping anything for DD2. I buy good clothes, if I have anything, would you like to have it? Would all be great condition. They would be age 4-5, would that be too big though? DD1 was average and I bought age 4 when she was 3.5.

pgwithnumber3 Sun 21-Sep-08 15:35:43

For nowt that is, wouldn't want anything for them. I know for a fact I have a lovely pair of jeans from Next that are immaculate and are plain but with a few butterflies on them. Not cheap looking.

chunkychips Sun 21-Sep-08 15:36:06

i used e bay

misdee Sun 21-Sep-08 15:37:01

she is still in age 3-4, as is a shorty like me blush but thank you.

RubyRioja Sun 21-Sep-08 15:37:30

oh no! babe!

You have to wonder.

We tend to buy boy joggers in navy

RubyRioja Sun 21-Sep-08 15:37:48

Woolies had lots of £2 jeans

SmugColditz Sun 21-Sep-08 15:39:27

Get her boy's trousers with girly tops. They are harder wearing and plaibn.

misdee Sun 21-Sep-08 15:40:23

thaqnk you for the tips.

will be checking out the local charity shop, supermarkets, and if no luck will make a trip to stevenage next week to check out primark and woolies. town here is a bit low on cheap shops, we have m and s, next and john lewis.

pgwithnumber3 Sun 21-Sep-08 15:51:11

No problem Misdee! If anyone wants a couple of Monsoon tops, pair of Monsoon long shorts, Monsoon skirt, Mothercare tracksuit bottoms, gap long sleeved t-shirt and pair of Next jeans in age 4-5 for nothing, let me know! (all winter stuff) All very good condition. Postage obviously. They are too good to bin and they will only go the charity shop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now