Talk

Advanced search

Don't want to be too controversial, but is there anywhere that me and dd, 10, can get a holistic massage together?

(8 Posts)
Fauve Wed 17-Sep-08 17:51:05

I know makeovers/spa experiences for young girls are seen as too much, too young, and I agree with that; but I see massage as for all ages, and the idea of a bit of nail polish to boot doesn't offend my sensibilities. Is there anywhere you can do the holistic bit, without turning either of us into Barbie dolls? Or am I being naive? She's been having home-made massages since baby massage days.

misi Thu 18-Sep-08 01:15:01

yes, we did this sort of thing in my old clinic. we didn't do anything else other than massage though, no make up/polish etc but the massage for the child is done differently to the adult (less on the detoxing side mainly) but was generally well received all round. you do have to find somewhere where the therapist has extra training for children as an ordinary therapist shouldn't really massage a child without the extra training.

look up your nearest health food shop and ask if they have anyone to reccommend

heres a link I found for general info
www.massage-holistic.co.uk/faqs.php if this one is not near you, then you will have to look around the yellow pages or online really as I do not know of many personally

Fauve Fri 19-Sep-08 12:41:44

Thanks, Misi. He looks a bit sinister on that link grin But I will ask at the health clinic I use.

misi Sun 21-Sep-08 20:27:36

sinister? oh dear, not a good start to a calm and relaxing massage huh? grin

AnotherFineMess Sun 21-Sep-08 20:34:28

Ahhh, sounds like a nice idea to me.

Most places offer a couples package don't they? 2 masseurs in a room with 2 beds side-by-side, and no real emphasis on beauty treatments as they often get reluctant OHs dragged in there for anniversary presents or whatever.

I'm sure that you could just ring up and book this but explain that it's your DD rather than OH so you don't need any 'romantic' touches!

misi Sun 21-Sep-08 20:44:39

AnotherFineMess, you have to have different quals for child massage. as childrens physique can be different/more delicate/responds differently, if someone without a child massage qualification says they can do a child massage, I would walk away and then report them to the regulatory body. very few people have this qualification, I struggled for a year to find someone then spent out and sent someone already employed there on a course, not cheap and not to everyones taste but was worth it in the end!

AnotherFineMess Sun 21-Sep-08 20:48:43

Good point misi. Sorry OP, should have engaged brain before posting.

morningpaper Sun 21-Sep-08 20:55:27

if you are on holiday abroad you can ask a random beach massage person, IME

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now