Talk

Advanced search

Do I need a suit for work/what are the alternatives

(6 Posts)
sameagain Mon 15-Sep-08 19:55:41

I have worked in corporate banking for 20 years (please be nice to me) I started in the late 1980's when everyone wore a suit and although the suits have softened a bit, I still wear one everyday.

But, is it still necessary? I work in an all male environment, so I have no idea what a woman is "supposed" to wear to work. The men all wear suits, although ties appear to be less compulsory than they were (but always when meeting customers)

The reasons I ask are

1) I'm fed up of spending almost all my clothing budget on clothes for work

2) I've been looking for a new black trouser suit and am finding it impossible to find one I like/that fits

I thought black trouser suit, so I can wear the jacket over a dress or with a check/print skirt or something. As I'm finding it so hard, I wondered if a good black cardi blush might do the job?

HaventSleptForAYear Tue 16-Sep-08 13:21:09

No idea about corporate banking (are you returning to work? what do your colleagues wear?)

I have problems being smart without wearing a suit (OTT here at university and a bit frowned on too).

I don't want to blend in with the students though.

So think I need similar to you if anyone has any suggestions???

Dozeynoo Tue 16-Sep-08 13:42:37

I'm not in banking but I generally wear smart trousers and a blouse or stretchy fitted top or fine knit jumper and a pair of shoes with a good heel on them. Its so hot in our office that a jacket would only ever be slung over the back of the chair.

I have a suit which is dug out when I have to go to customer site.

sameagain Wed 17-Sep-08 09:45:36

Dozeynoo- I have the opposite problem, it's flippin freezing in our office, so I wear the jacket all day!

One of the problems I have , is that in our environment, if I wear anything remotely "sexy" I get "compliments" hmm Maybe I should deal with that, but I find it easier to laugh it off, but don't go out of my way to encorage it. e.g I have a nice wrap dress, but it's a tiny bit clingy, therefore, I don't wear it for work.

BarefootShirl Wed 17-Sep-08 10:57:32

Depends on the environment - I work in a small office and usually wear a skirt or trousers and strappy top or casual blouse, similar to my female colleagues. The guys also tend to be "smart casual" - but this is in a small business that supplies the motor trade, not corporate banking, so it is difficult to compare.

Dress codes have generally eased considerably over the last few years though as there is no way I could have got away with some of my more "summery" outfits for work a few years ago smile.

HaventSleptForAYear Wed 17-Sep-08 13:43:55

Sameagain I can't wear "sexy" or low-cut or short either (teaching).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now