Talk

Advanced search

I'm 39 years old and I have the skin of a teenager.

(29 Posts)
MsPontipine Sun 14-Sep-08 00:56:46

Acne is taking over my life by stealth! I try not to let it get to me but FFS!!

My skin's always been a bit crap since my early 20's. Huuuuuuuuuge painful spots taking up half my face (usually around and on my nose) and a general clustering on the chin. The big ones take a couple of weeks to go down - sometimes achieving some spectacular creations in that time - one once had 3 heads on it!! Nobody's meant to notice eh? I once received advice from a doorman fgs when going in a pub (I'd lance it if I were you love ... You've got a pretty face but...)

I've been using dalacin t prescribed by gp for years - it seemed to keep them restrained slightly but now they're getting out of control again.

Any pearls of wisdom??????

gigglewitch Sun 14-Sep-08 01:00:19

if you have the skin of a teenager then you really should give it back. grin
<sorry>

Have you tried the pill - it really worked for my friend who had a mad acne-outbreak in adulthood (obv no use if you are ttc etc)

slightlybonkers Sun 14-Sep-08 02:45:12

ask your GP for roaccutane (sp?); 'tis an anti acne drug that trinny recommends.
a friend had bad acne and sought treatment here and was happy with results. (obviously you are probably not in Dublin but there'll be a similar clinic in your area)

sarah293 Sun 14-Sep-08 08:33:22

Message withdrawn

watsthestory Sun 14-Sep-08 08:34:48

Message withdrawn

poshtottie Sun 14-Sep-08 08:45:27

dermalogica products are excellent. All natural aswell.

twoluvlykids Sun 14-Sep-08 09:01:57

I sympathise with you coz at the moment my skin is terrible. I thought I was in tune with my teenage kids, we all seem to be in competition.

I'm off to the doctor's next week - it could be my age (hormones), the Merina coil (there's a thread on that & skin & weight gain which is interesting), stress.I'll be interested to hear what the doc thinks.

MsPontipine, the only times I had fantastic skin was while I was pg!

Hassled Sun 14-Sep-08 09:08:51

I was going to start this exact thread - except I'm a whopping 42 and have a spot the size of a minor planet on my chin. I realised things were bad when I raided DS1's bedroom for spot cream that even he's grown out of needing.

If you are getting a lot of spots, though, see your GP again; there are lots of great adult-acne treatments out there (ex-DH suffered). And drink lots and lots of water.

poshtottie Sun 14-Sep-08 09:16:19

dermalogicas medicated clearing gel is fab.

giraffescantdancethetango Sun 14-Sep-08 09:41:46

my skins awful, nothing works. i plaster make up on and hope for the best. i know loads of make up isnt advised but since nothing else has worked its the only thing that gives me some confidence

JackieNo Sun 14-Sep-08 10:01:59

I was starting to get loads of humongous spots, and for a while, I was using the Garnier Pure stuff, with spot cream on the actual spots. Then I decided to go basic, and be a bit kinder to my skin, and am now using the Tisserand tea tree and grapefruit skin wash, followed by the Liz Earle Superskin concentrate. It's really much better now - plus I'd been a bit worried about all the chemicals I'd been sticking on my face, and it was all dry, and tight, and peeling where I'd put spot cream on, and it's not now. (sorry - that's a bit of a long post)

Louise18 Sun 14-Sep-08 10:34:21

I went through this last year, and kept trying different things to fix, but it just kept getting worse.

Then I went on holiday for 3 weeks in December and forgot to pack my skincare stuff. I ended up using very basic Oil of Ulay and the 3-in-1 wipes by Johnsons. By the time I got home my skin was clear. I did wonder if it was just the sun, but carried on with basic skin care routine and had no more problems.

Then recently started panicking about wrinkles and started using Garnier Ultra Lift cream and within a few weeks I had spots again! Back on the basic Olay again now (and I do mean the very cheap one).

At least DH can't complain I'm high maintenance!

Shitemum Sun 14-Sep-08 10:37:42

what riven said
Your liver is overloaded, you need to detox, cut out all sugar and sweetners - read the ingredients list on everything you buy.

I did an anti candida diet and it worked wonders but is hard to stick to.

Mercy Sun 14-Sep-08 10:40:52

I started getting spots a couple of years ago (plus greasy hair sad)

I'm now almost 45; it's definitely hormonal.

ilovemydog Sun 14-Sep-08 10:41:07

Apparently laser treatment helps...

unfitmother Sun 14-Sep-08 10:45:31

'Your liver is overloaded' - you can tell this just from the OP? Wow, that's clever!hmm

Try going back to your GP, I'm thinking of doing the same. My Acne roseacca is getting me down, I'm the same age as you.sad

spinspinsugar Sun 14-Sep-08 10:49:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ivykaty44 Sun 14-Sep-08 10:52:07

Go back to your gp and see what they can advice or prescribe - it may be hormonal it may be unknown stress? I dont know but it is worth while of a visit to your gp

SammyK Sun 14-Sep-08 10:53:43

I have awful awful skin too, it really gets me down. sad

I was prescribed roaccutane about 8 years back but stopped taking it as it gave me weird side effects.

The sun does clear my skin up, I think for me it is a combination of oily skin, acne and hormones. blush

watsthestory Sun 14-Sep-08 10:54:26

Message withdrawn

Snaf Sun 14-Sep-08 11:06:47

I have terrible skin too. It started after ds was born - I didn't have a single spot throughout my teenage years so it was a real shock.

The pill didn't work for me, but oral antibiotics really did. Unfortunately m GP won't keep me on them hmm so I'm back to dealing with it myself.

They have slightly improved recently, though. I think a combination of diet (low-carb so minimal sugar and processed stuff, lots of water) and using really basic skincare products has helped. I was using Luch Ultrabland which I love but you have to be careful about being too rough with the muslins and over-exfoliating. I have recently been trying just removing makeup with baby oil and then using soap and water, then a tiny amount of Bio-oil to moisturise (and help with the scars!) - it doesn't appear to be doing any harm, at least.

I sympathise - it really knocked my confidence when the spots were at their worst. The best piece of advice of all though is DON'T PICK THEM! grin

filthymindedvixen Sun 14-Sep-08 11:10:06

I never had spots when i was a teenager. I'm laughing on the other side of my face now grin Not acne, but I do seem to get a lot of spots now (in a PMT way)

JackieNo Sun 14-Sep-08 11:22:41

Mine are definitely hormonal. They used to be linked to my periods - I'd get one or two huge ones in the week or 10 days running up to when my period started, then they'd clear, and I'd be fine for a week or two, then the cycle would start again. But in the last year or so there's been no rhyme or reason that I can figure out - I've decided it's just that I'm getting older, maybe perimenopausal, and everything's going a bit haywiresad.

JackieNo Sun 14-Sep-08 11:23:41

Oh yes - meant to add - I've also swapped to using Lily Lolo mineral makeup, and I think that's helped too - doesn't clog my skin up, and contains zinc, which is supposed to be healing for spots.

Monkeytrousers Sun 14-Sep-08 11:24:00

I thought this was a shameless brag looking at thread title!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now