Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

please help, would a fascinator look ok if you wear your hair in a french plait?

(25 Posts)
lizandlulu Sat 13-Sep-08 08:24:42

i am going to a wedding today and couldnt get booked into the hairdressers, so am having to do it with the help of my mum, only between us we cant used straighteners (my hair is fairly long and thick) and i was going to get her to do a french plait, only i dont know if a fascinator would look ok up my hair taken back.

what do you think?

traceybath Sat 13-Sep-08 08:50:09

do you mean an actual plait? i wouldn't personally i always feel they're for little girls.

a low ponytail or messy bun would be more chic if you want it tied back or up.

with the ponytail i tend to do a side parting, a little bit of height at the crown and then you could wrap a piece of your hair from underneath round the hair band and secure with a hairpin.

i think either messy bun (again side parting . . .) or low pony would work with a fascinator.

KatyMac Sat 13-Sep-08 08:51:05

Or did you mean a french pleat?

It could look lovely with that

KatyMac Sat 13-Sep-08 08:53:16

like this?

lizandlulu Sat 13-Sep-08 08:58:58

no i mebt a proper french palit. i usually have a pleat but cant do one myself.

i am absoloutley crap at doing my hair, everyday i have it scraped back into a pony tail and it does my head in when it is down.

i could try a messy bun, never tried before, but i have a mate coming over later, could rope her into helping megrin

lizandlulu Sat 13-Sep-08 08:59:43

palit?? i ment plait!

NomDePlume Sat 13-Sep-08 09:01:53

I'm always amazed by people who can do their own French plaits. How the heck do they manage it ?

My bog standard plaits are always wonky and uneven

binkythebullet Sat 13-Sep-08 09:07:47

I think it would look fine. However, are you sure you want to wear a fascinator? Sorry, but I just don't get fascinators!

lizandlulu Sat 13-Sep-08 10:00:28

yep i love them, its the only time i can wear something really fancy and posh without looking like a twatgrin

CostaRicanCod Sat 13-Sep-08 10:02:04

no they are shit
i hate fascinators

ninedragons Sat 13-Sep-08 10:12:03

Um, to be perfectly honest I think you run the risk of looking like Sarah Ferguson circa 1989.

Messy bun would be much better, and forget the fascinator completely.

noddyholder Sat 13-Sep-08 10:16:02

what is a fascinator

norkmaiden Sat 13-Sep-08 10:18:46

I wouldn't do french plait plus fascinator, sorry

Personally, prefer the idea of messy bun, or messed up and loose - and then with fasc??

giraffescantdancethetango Sat 13-Sep-08 10:22:22

messy bun

CostaRicanCod Sat 13-Sep-08 10:23:17

stupid flower on an alice band

CostaRicanCod Sat 13-Sep-08 10:23:52

pure cilla black

CostaRicanCod Sat 13-Sep-08 10:24:26

htis one gets sky i think

the peopel who wea rthem think htye are being all momdern
as it is they are llookign like twats

OneLieIn Sat 13-Sep-08 10:24:46

Messy bun and fascinator would look good IMHO. No french plait unless you tuck it back in on itself so you cannot see the end (this looks good I think, but I am not sure how it would look with a fascinator.

DrNortherner Sat 13-Sep-08 10:24:54

I like fascinators. Not with a plait though. Agree messy bun would be better.

I am intrigued though as to why you can't use straightners?

MrsBadger Sat 13-Sep-08 10:25:17

no no no to french plait - look v severe as hair is scraped back straight back off forehead

low chignon with sparkly pin or flower much better

DrNortherner Sat 13-Sep-08 10:25:31

I do not look like a twat i one. I look stylish actually cod!

noddyholder Sat 13-Sep-08 10:29:07

omg didn't know what they were called!Truly awful pseudo royal look.Just a neat chignon with a really beautiful slide at the front?

DrNortherner Sat 13-Sep-08 10:30:42

I will wear a fascinator to next MN meet up to PEE YOU ALL OFF.

ChupitosGalore Sat 13-Sep-08 10:34:57

thank you noddy and cod - i was just wondering wtf a fascinator is.
odd little piece of headgear.
whys it called a fascinator?? beeeezarre.

lizandlulu Sun 14-Sep-08 09:00:39

well thaks for all the replyssmile

in the end i got my mate to straighten it and wore the fascinator to the actuall wedding. (i dont care if you dont like them!)

but my hair got on my nerves and i took the front back with some clips. not very exciting, but looked ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now