Talk

Advanced search

What does one wear to an interview these days?

(52 Posts)
bratnav Wed 10-Sep-08 11:22:52

I have a biggie next week (marketing). Is it a suit, dress, trousers/skirt and a blouse????

Help please!

RubyRioja Wed 10-Sep-08 11:24:01

OK

How old are you?
What sort of position?
B2B or consumer?
City or provinces?

bratnav Wed 10-Sep-08 13:17:08

30 (14-16 size)
Sales and Marketing Co-ordinator (£25k)
consumer (for a press/pr agency)
Bristol

Thanks RR, I remember all your great advice when I asked about marketing before

RubyRioja Wed 10-Sep-08 14:40:53

OK
need to be smarter than admin/support staff but not so cool and smart that you make the female management nervous.

Go for well co-ordinated combo with jacket rather than suit - I think a bit aging these days. Skirt or trousers are fine I think.
Nothing that hints of mummy.

Strong colour to help them remember you. Clean lines. Shoes or boots with heels.

Do you have any candidates?
Def get your hair done

RubyRioja Wed 10-Sep-08 14:41:12

OK
need to be smarter than admin/support staff but not so cool and smart that you make the female management nervous.

Go for well co-ordinated combo with jacket rather than suit - I think a bit aging these days. Skirt or trousers are fine I think.
Nothing that hints of mummy.

Strong colour to help them remember you. Clean lines. Shoes or boots with heels.

Do you have any candidates?
Def get your hair done

bratnav Wed 10-Sep-08 15:48:09

great advice, you have put down exactly the kind of thing that I was thinking of, wasn't sure if a suit was still a pre-requisite.

Strong colour-what a great idea, would never have thought of that when compiling an interview outfit, I always stick to black/grey/white etc.

Would a biscuit jacket, brown flared trousers and a turquoise strappy top under work? I have amazing tan Mary-Janes which work with the trousers?

CostaRicanCod Wed 10-Sep-08 15:49:02

ooh no

MascaraOHara Wed 10-Sep-08 16:16:52

OOOh I've just mentioned interview attire on my "I got an interview thread" outlines what I'm planing on wearing lol.. i.e. nice grey wool suit, wide leg non-power-dressing style

bratnav Wed 10-Sep-08 16:28:52

Cod-any suggestions please?

macherie Wed 10-Sep-08 16:41:02

I heard a top recruitment consultant on the radio yesterday talking about this.

He said that 99% of women interviwees wear black suit, white shirt with large collar turned back, severe hair. This look is to be avoided at all costs apparently.

He advised to get your colours done, or at least have an honest friend help you choose. Go for a dark jacket but not black, top underneath in a colour that flatters you. Discreet jewellery. Really good shoes and bag, the best you have. You need to be smart and tasteful but not flashy.

This guy said that he'd been on so many interview panels, where other interviewers had totally discounted candidates who hadn't bothered about their appearance, scuffed shoes, etc.

Hope you get the jobwink

bratnav Wed 10-Sep-08 16:42:36

Wow, thanks macherie, that's useful info

bratnav Wed 10-Sep-08 16:44:37

Why why why did I get rid of so much work stuff after DD1, I think I thought I would never go back to my original size hmm

bratnav Wed 10-Sep-08 16:46:10

Do you think a jacket is essential?

I was wondering about suit trousers, quite a vivid stripey shirt with a co-ordinating tank top over?

lilolilmanchester Wed 10-Sep-08 16:59:59

Hi, am not a recruitment expert but would say yes to a jacket.

lilolilmanchester Wed 10-Sep-08 17:02:17

and grooming as important (clean and tidy hair/nails) If you wear makeup, make sure it's professional rather than glam. Sorry if stating the obvious but have seen people coming in for interviews who look like they're off clubbing afterwards and others who look like they've just come in from a day's gardening.

CostaRicanCod Wed 10-Sep-08 18:22:41

finbar( in HR) says no to devere suit iirc

and also pay attention to the small details
no comedy watch, scruffy shoes etc
wear soemthign you dont feel awkward in
smart grey wool tailored trews, knitwear of sometiype
or a dress

bratnav Wed 10-Sep-08 19:31:44

Oooh ooh, how about a grey herringbone pinafore dress (from Whistles) with a black shirt under, black opaque tights?

RubyRioja Wed 10-Sep-08 19:33:32

I do think you need a jacket (softly tailored is fine).

Think jacket and flares sound OK, but might go for slightly more formal top. Poss with significant jewellery (but not fussy or hippy trippy). Necklace but not earrings.

Need to look a wee bit creative. If you put turquoise with brown (which I do), I think you need a necklace with both colours in so it looks intentional, not haphazard.

Good luck with interview too!

bratnav Wed 10-Sep-08 19:33:48

I only wear minimal make up anyway, mascara and a nude lippy. Hair is one of those short bobs that can be dragged through a hedge backwards and still look smart, nails are tidy so far, will have to be nice to them for the next week

RubyRioja Wed 10-Sep-08 19:38:19

herringbone pinefre sounds good. Need v good shoes and handbag - poss scarlet to show marketing flair (all tosh I know)

These shoes are fab for comfort and formality. Feels like wearing trainers. Black shown but they may do red grin

bratnav Wed 10-Sep-08 19:40:39

I have a fab red bag, ooh, maybe red shoe shopping, yay!

bratnav Wed 10-Sep-08 19:43:08

Shoes look very nice, but black only as far as I can see sad You got my size right though

RubyRioja Wed 10-Sep-08 19:47:10

I do think hidden platforms are godsend for anyone used to charging around rather than tottering!

Bob sounds good. I think red shoes are essential.

janeite Wed 10-Sep-08 19:51:20

The dress sounds fantastic. Personally I'd be tempted to go for purple shoes, or teal, as I think the whole red with business attire look could possibly be a bit too eighties.

bratnav Wed 10-Sep-08 20:01:19

Does it matter that it is slightly (2-3 inches) above the knee?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now