Talk

Advanced search

Another DUO thread. Boots. Apparently they should be v.tight...

(20 Posts)
Katisha Tue 09-Sep-08 20:26:29

After another depressing day in the shoe-shops of Milton Keynes I finally went to the DUO shop on Savile Row today and ordered these. (They are going to have to last more than one year...) It was great to have someone go off and fetch you boots at varying calf widths.
But the assistant was quite adamant that they should be a struggle to zip up and would say something was a good fit when I felt like my circulation was about to be cut off. If I'd been happy about that sensation I would have bought some much cheaper boots in Barretts yesterday but while I could zip 'em up it felt awful.
Thought the point of DUO would be not to have to struggle so I'm a bit hmm Anyway - I'm looking forward to their arrival, having insisted on a bit of legroom.

squeaver Tue 09-Sep-08 20:28:55

Oh that's interesting. I'm going to Duo on Friday. Can't wait to get decent boots for the first time ever!

JackieNo Tue 09-Sep-08 20:45:28

They should last, Katisha - I've now got 2 pairs from Duo - one with heels that are on their 4th year and still going strong, and a new pair of flat ones, that I got in the sale this summer for £55.

Katisha Tue 09-Sep-08 20:45:54

Yes there were several styles I really liked. Hooray at last!

Katisha Tue 09-Sep-08 20:46:35

Did you buy 'em really tight Jackie? And did they give much?

girlsnextdoor Tue 09-Sep-08 21:18:42

I have the same issue with them- I have 2 pairs- have sold 2 other pairs on Ebay that weren't a great fit in the foot.

Yes, they insist they should fit like gloves. but I am between calf sizes and prefer a looser fit- especially as I would be wearing tights in winter.

I can't stand that really tight feeling- I think it could be unhealthy if they are too tight.

I love Kirov and they are a great fit.

girlsnextdoor Tue 09-Sep-08 21:18:44

I have the same issue with them- I have 2 pairs- have sold 2 other pairs on Ebay that weren't a great fit in the foot.

Yes, they insist they should fit like gloves. but I am between calf sizes and prefer a looser fit- especially as I would be wearing tights in winter.

I can't stand that really tight feeling- I think it could be unhealthy if they are too tight.

girlsnextdoor Tue 09-Sep-08 21:18:49

girlsnextdoor Tue 09-Sep-08 21:18:55

girlsnextdoor Tue 09-Sep-08 21:20:24

sorry- not me- slow connection!

JackieNo Tue 09-Sep-08 21:29:34

Katisha, the first, older pair are fine, always have been. Not too tight, not too loose. The newer ones are quite tight, quite a struggle to do up, but not uncomfortable once they're on. Not sure if they've stretched, tbh.

castlesintheair Tue 09-Sep-08 21:37:42

I've got 3 pairs of Duo boots and they are all still in good nick. They do need to be snug when you buy them as they give a bit. One of my problems with most high st boots is that they wrinkle or fall down because I am scrawny of calf. I could sleep in one pair they are so comfy. Am trying to resist buying more atm.

girlsnextdoor Tue 09-Sep-08 21:49:04

castles- which styles have you got? I have slim calves too!

castlesintheair Wed 10-Sep-08 17:03:06

girlnextdoor, i've got these riding boots these and these. The first 2 in particular really suit slimmer calves imo. The latter pair suit all types of leg great tucked into jeans.

seeker Wed 10-Sep-08 17:09:19

I want to buy some mail order. Does anyone know how I decide what foot size to order? I've got very broad feet - should I go up a size?

Can adults get their feet measured in shoe shops? I've never thought of that before!

girlsnextdoor Wed 10-Sep-08 18:05:43

their shoes sizes are generous- which style are you thinking of?

I doubt if you would need to go up a size. They are good at advising- so phone them.

girlsnextdoor Wed 10-Sep-08 18:07:15

Castles- I have got Ravenna, Kirov and now Toledo.

Katisha Thu 11-Sep-08 19:16:23

Hmmm well my boots have arrived now and they feel quite a lot tighter than the ones I tried on in the shop. Were much harder to zip up. Don't know what to do now because I can't see myself wanting to wear them for too long before dying to get them off again, which isn't the point of the exercise.

I'm sure DUO will say this is right and they will give but hmmm.

joliejolie Fri 12-Sep-08 10:31:12

They do stretch, which is why they probably suggest that you go a bit tighter.
Nothing is more gross than seeing someone wearing leather boots that sag at the ankles and fall down.

I have a duo pair that were never very tight and they do slip down my calves when I wear them with tights and it looks awful!

Katisha Fri 12-Sep-08 19:26:52

Thanks. I will keep them and wear them round the house a bit to start with before attempting a full working day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now