Talk

Advanced search

Velvet coat

(18 Posts)
turquoise Sun 07-Sep-08 16:14:15

Has anyone seen any velvet coats other than the Boden one (too A line for me) or the Monsoon one (just not me). Everything else seems to be on specific Goth sites!

I don't want to look like Dracula I just want a velvet coat - maybe slightly militaryish but not full length.

SilentTerror Sun 07-Sep-08 17:01:20

I like the Monsoon one.Have 2 from Boden already though!
Hobbs usually do them nearer christmas,also Kew/jigsaw.

regularlyoverwhelmed Sun 07-Sep-08 17:06:39

i like monsoon one too, but can't decide if it makes me look a bit sad

kdk Sun 07-Sep-08 17:08:14

what sort of thing do you want? An evening-type of thing - maybe like this www.poetrycollection.co.uk/product-R837-CT/coats/embroidered-velvet-evening-coat.htm or www.wraponline.co.uk/fashion-T400-ZJKST/jackets-coats/embroidered-silk-velvet-coat.htm

madhairday Sun 07-Sep-08 17:09:59

Check out nomads
-some gorgeous velvet coats and others, bit pricey but they are fairtrade.

NoblesseOblige Sun 07-Sep-08 17:12:47

look in charity shops - i've got 2 lovely velvet jackets that way. smile

turquoise Sun 07-Sep-08 17:25:21

Oooh brilliant!

Those evening ones are a bit too evening-y - I want one to wear everyday but not too ordinary looking - I think that nomad site might be just the thing! Slightly bohemian without being out and out goth or loony. (HOpefully).

Hadn't thought about charity shops, excellent idea.

Thanks all!

madhairday Sun 07-Sep-08 17:28:12

Nomads stuff is lovely quality as well turquoise. My friend has the full length one and it is divine. I'm after the embroidered teal knee length one this year. Hope you find what you need

ahundredtimes Sun 07-Sep-08 17:37:09

I bought one from Jigsaw last year. Don't know if they have them again, isn't structured, but has good pockets and buttons and v. casual everyday (if any velevet coat can be every day0 and slouchy.

florenceuk Sun 07-Sep-08 19:11:51

kew have one: here.
Ahundred, how many coats do you have? Every coat thread, you seem to have bought one

ahundredtimes Sun 07-Sep-08 19:39:26

Quite a lot. I like coats. What can I say. smile

Megglevache Sun 07-Sep-08 19:46:25

How many do you have? Go on make me feel less guilty. I have 4 at the moment that I love but am eyeing up a few more and thinking, no I couldn't. Could I?

ahundredtimes Sun 07-Sep-08 19:47:01

Shall I count?

Dog walking rain proof sort of coat.
Boden Spotty Coat
Jigsaw velvet coat
Old Nicole Farhi brown coat - I mean 10 years old
Old black moleskin coat
white mac - too white, a mistake
A cagoule thing i bought in a motorway service station
A quite weird long camel coloured sort of coat/dressing-gown bought from a collective women's design group in SA.
My mother gave me a red Jaeger coat with black buttons, have that, haven't worn in for 12 years.

That's 9 coats. But I do make them last. . . .

ahundredtimes Sun 07-Sep-08 19:48:47

And now for the jackets. . .

Megglevache Sun 07-Sep-08 19:53:20

I would trump you on the jackets. We are moving house because of my jacket collection. Well I say we are moving...we are looking for a bigger house shock

ahundredtimes Sun 07-Sep-08 19:54:32

Let's compare jackets! One of my jackets is velvet from French Connection and is about nineteen years old. I think I need a clear out.

Have you got a walk-in wardrobe in your new house?

ahundredtimes Sun 07-Sep-08 19:55:23

Your son is beautiful btw.

Megglevache Sun 07-Sep-08 20:19:44

Thank you , that's a lovely thing to say- he is the image of his dad.

Are we doing the sartorial equivilent of my willy is bigger than yours? grin

All the jackets are ones purchased in the sales, and I can't throw them away, apart from the ones that don't fit anymore. An why do I know that a white jacket is not a good idea as they A. make me look like a chef and B. Get filthy within a second.

I still buy them.

Turq, I am really glad you started this thread, I am now drooling at the navy coat. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now