Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Hair straighteners?

(16 Posts)
smartiejake Fri 05-Sep-08 09:53:52

Ok I have some philips hair straighteners which are ok (cost about £30) but one puff of wind or a bit of moisture in the air and my hair is a mess.

My hairdresser says that you really get what you pay for with straighteners and she uses "slick chic" ones. They are about £60.

But my dd says all her friends (they are 12???) use GHDs and I can't find any cheaper than £90.

Any one use slick chic straighteners or is it worth spending the extra £30 for the GHDs?

funnysinthegarden Fri 05-Sep-08 10:00:41

I don't know about Slick Chick straighteners, but would go with GHD any day. I have been using them for about 8 years now and they really are the best I have found. Also I have only had to replace them once in that time. I don't think you will get them for much less than £80-£90. I have just bought a new pair for about £80 from Amazon. BTW I use mine at least once every day as I have very curly hair, and my hair is still in good condition.

TheCrackFox Fri 05-Sep-08 10:01:58

I haven't used slick ones but I did have Phillips and 3 months ago I treated myself to GHDs. OMG!!! I have very thick, wavy, unmanageable hair and I have not had a bad hair day since I got my GHDs. If you can afford it I would say go for it.

savoycabbage Fri 05-Sep-08 10:04:10

I have ghd ones too and have had them for years. They are expensive but they are really good. I am sure I saw a magazine advert this week where you got some money off ghd if you gave in any other hair 'tool'.

MadameCastafiore Fri 05-Sep-08 10:04:22

Don't waste your money n anything other than GHDs!

They aren't called Good Hair Days for nothing you know!

smartiejake Fri 05-Sep-08 10:08:58

OK so which ones to buy? There seem to be so many- mini ones, large plates, small etc.
Have looked on amazon and they are a bit cheaper. Not sure what the difference with mark 1,2,3,4 etc.

notsoteenagemum Fri 05-Sep-08 10:12:59

GHD's and frizz ease are my bestest friends my hair is too straight for nice curls but too wavy to be straight and very wiry(IYKWIM)
but with GHD's it lovely I've had mine three years and need some new ones. Don't know about slick chic but most hairdressers I know use GHD's.

savoycabbage Fri 05-Sep-08 10:15:22

offer

akhems Fri 05-Sep-08 10:18:08

so what happens to straightened hair when it meets damp weather? Mine just goes all frizzy and coarse. Do GHDs have a better effect at preventing that?

funnysinthegarden Fri 05-Sep-08 12:46:09

GHD's totally stop your hair frizzing, although I do use serum too. My hair still curls if it gets wet, but in a nice way rather than in a nuts was. I just bought the ones for longer hair even though I only have shortish hair. The irons are wide enough without being too wide. It depends on how long your hair is

NotDoingTheHousework Fri 05-Sep-08 12:49:12

Message withdrawn

funnysinthegarden Fri 05-Sep-08 12:58:42

I agree it is a FACT. I LOVE my GHD's. They stopped me having to have my hair cropped, which post 90's is a GOOD thing

FattipuffsandThinnifers Fri 05-Sep-08 13:05:51

Definitely GHDs!!!! I've got thick frizzy curly hair and these are the only ones that work - and keep your hair straight between washing despite damp weather. You probably won't get them much cheaper than £90 but they are the best investment you can make for your hair IMO. I've had the same ones (set? pair? one? whatever!) for about 5 years and they're still fine.

akhems Fri 05-Sep-08 13:08:26

ooh I think I'll save up for a pair in that case. I thought they were all the same in response to dampness which is the bane of my life. I've got almost waist length thick curly hair with a tendency to frizz no matter what products I use

lumpsdumps Fri 05-Sep-08 13:38:59

I received in the post on Wednesday a brand new pair of GHDs for the grand price of £55, got them on Amazon. Am rather chuffed with my bargin!

sophi1 Fri 05-Sep-08 21:03:28

Also CHS are really good, they are ceramic like GHD and bit cheaper. You can get them in Sallys I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now