Talk

Advanced search

Is it ever OK to wear black to a wedding? Even an evening do?

(13 Posts)
largeoneplease Wed 03-Sep-08 22:22:13

I have had a surprise invitation to the evening wedding reception of one of DS's friend's parents.

It is to be a fairly small, low budget affair at the local community centre. Very nice people, but I've never seen her wear anything other than baggy tracksuit and t-shirt. (not sure any of that's relevant, but trying to paint a picture)

I've never been to a DIY wedding reception before, but my usual strategy when unsure what to wear is a black, jersey dress from Coast, which I got in the sale last year and has been a real bargain, as I've worn it loads. I think they described it as a cocktail dress, but I'd say it's a bit more casual than that. Lovely soft material, handkerchief sleeves to elbow, lowish scoop neck and full skirt. Does the fact that it's black rule it out for a wedding, even an evening only do?

mazzystar Wed 03-Sep-08 22:23:52

It sounds perfect

ThisTooWillPass Wed 03-Sep-08 22:25:22

Message withdrawn

wilkos Wed 03-Sep-08 22:25:27

yes definitely, dress sounds great. wear it and have fun smile

PeaMcLean Wed 03-Sep-08 22:26:24

Sounds great.

Never heard of not wearing black for a wedding. Though I'm not very traditional.

TillyScoutsmum Wed 03-Sep-08 22:27:00

Black is absolutely fine for weddings imo. I've been to two in the last year (all day do's - both quite "fancy") and I reckon about 60% of guests were wearing black

MintChocAddict Wed 03-Sep-08 22:27:12

Sounds lovely. I've attended a ridiculous number of weddings over the past few years and black is absolutely fine. Have a nice time.

solo Wed 03-Sep-08 22:32:02

Black is fine IME.

I wore black to a wedding just last week - I love black, but it was mostly because I can't get into very much atm. I put a gold(not blingy gold), light, shrug style cardi over, just to lift it a bit. It was a low key late morning registry office affair followed by a low key meal.

stretchmarkqueen Wed 03-Sep-08 22:44:16

It's not me is it? I've just handed out my evening invites, and I'm always quite scruffy in jeans!!! If it is, I don't mind what you wear!!wink

thumbwitch Wed 03-Sep-08 22:45:13

have done it, wasn't a problem, wore a pale coloured jacket and hat with black dress. Hottest day of that year, ended up without jacket and hat - no worries.

PotPourri Wed 03-Sep-08 22:46:40

Wear a bright scarf round your neck to take away the all balck. Or a pashmina. Otherwise, fine. Espec as it is an evening do

solo Wed 03-Sep-08 22:47:22

Wearing black is very warm isn't it? I was sweltering!

solidgoldbrass Wed 03-Sep-08 22:48:09

Would only possibly remotely be a problem if you were going to a church wedding with very very traditional people hosting it/being the bride and groom. Though all black plus black hat with huge veil is maybe a bit too funereal unless brid and groom are goths.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now