Talk

Advanced search

Please explain to me all there is to know about colouring your hair

(6 Posts)
FrayedKnot Wed 03-Sep-08 20:38:04

So, I have dark brown hair, with slightly reddish undertones (chestnut? copper?), but over the years it is fading, a little bit of grey coming through etc.

I would like to do something with it colourwise but have never done anything except slap a bit of henna on when I was younger.

Please could someone explain to me:

What is a highlight?
What is a lowlight?

I just want a richer colour really, with more emphasis on the red tones.

I need to understand before I go to the hairdresser and they start talking technical grin

nancy75 Wed 03-Sep-08 20:40:07

highlites are more blonde tones afaik. i have dark brown hair and had lowlites in mine, more reddy coloours

Madlentileater Wed 03-Sep-08 20:41:16

Go to Boots.
You can buy stuff and do it yourself.
It's fine.
I get stuff that's supposed to be semi permanent, get one without ammonia as it smells vile. It fades slowly so when it starts growing out doesn't look too startling.

FrayedKnot Wed 03-Sep-08 21:39:47

Oh god no I can;t do it myslef <quake>

It would take me ages, don;t you have it thread bits through a cap and stuff? I have lots of hair.

Although erm, what sort of cost am I looking at, hairdresserwise?

nancy75 Wed 03-Sep-08 21:54:35

oh god no dont do it yourself!
cost really depends on what hairdresser you go to and how much you have done, you can have a few bits at the front, half your head or full head. do you have a regular hairdresser? if yes go in and have a chat about what you want and cost, if not ring round for prices, they can vary loads

Madlentileater Thu 04-Sep-08 20:57:23

don't know about this holes lark, you just put it on all over - works fine, seems to not be a flat, dead colour somehow it produces varied 'tones' (posho) I unertsand hairdressers charge a fortune.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now