Talk

Advanced search

I need an outfit for a christening - help needed....

(8 Posts)
SammyK Tue 02-Sep-08 22:17:32

It is in October, and I need to look fabulous but don't have a lot of money to spend. Never been to a christening before so no idea what I should wear.

Am 14-16, 5ft6, 34E.

{pleeding tones} grin

bikerunski Wed 03-Sep-08 10:21:36

Sort of the same kind of thing you'd wear to a wedding I think, but maybe not a hat. Smart, formal but feminine (I hate suits on women at weddings).

I have no idea what is in the shops as have been in maternity jeans for months, but am similarish build to you, and usually find something in Monsoon, Hobbs, Jigsaw or Phase 8 (when I am feeling flush). But Primark and Peacocks can have some gems from time to time if you go to a big branch. Also, you never know what you'll find in TKMaxx (Apart from tiny jeans in dodgy finishes).

Amandoh Wed 03-Sep-08 10:42:49

I haven't been to a Christening for years but if I was going to one I'd wear a dress.

This is pretty. As the Christening is in October it'll probably be a bit chilly so I'd wear a little cardigan with it.

This is nice but not sure about the black. The spots should stop it looking too formal though and you could add bright shoes. Same dress but a different colour.

I know you said you don't want to spend too much but if your budget will stretch to it then
this wrap dress might do the job.

SammyK Wed 03-Sep-08 12:33:32

Aw thanks for the replies - I almost didn't dare check this thread after having no replies last night! blush

Back in a mo...

SammyK Wed 03-Sep-08 12:41:01

I like the coast dress most but don't know how I would justify spending that much even if I had it to spend IYSWIM. smile

Amandoh Wed 03-Sep-08 13:53:59

I agree about the Coast dress. It's my favourite too.

I know it's quite a bit more expensive than the others but when you consider how much wear you'd get out of it then it's a good investment. Navy works in both cold and warm months. It would be a great dress for an informal Christmas/New Year party but would also work for a wedding.

Wrap dresses are so versatile if you choose the right colour.

Had a quick look on Ebay at Coast wrap dresses...

This is gorgeous but a 12. Could you wear a 12 as it's stretchy fabric? You could put a thin vest top underneath if it gapes.

This one is the right size but is black which might not be quite right for a Christening but worth a look.

Not Coast but looks pretty.

Boden bargain! Will need a bloody good iron but it's a pretty colour.

bikerunski Wed 03-Sep-08 15:34:09

This is a nice mid season colour and could be dressed up or down white stuff dress

Rather like this on a budget, would need a cardigan though
peacocks dress

SammyK Wed 03-Sep-08 19:54:58

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now