Talk

Advanced search

I am so fed up with the poor Quality of Orla Kiely bags that I'd rather buy a used one.

(30 Posts)
MadameOvary Tue 02-Sep-08 22:08:34

Just that really. I think the older ones were better made. I foolishly gave away my nice old stem one to my friend who was emigrating and now I'm regretting it.
I've put a want ad on the "Other" thread. Has anyone got any lying unloved in their wardrobe? Condition unimportant but preferably not falling apart. Ta smile

laurasmiles Wed 03-Sep-08 18:22:53

How could anyone not love an orla keily bag?? I love mine, both have been run into the ground and are still going strong. I would hate to tell you what the insides look lie though!! They are so big, I've had one too many accidents in them where I've kind of forgotten what I left festering at the bottom, or a pen has leaked angry. Anyways, good luck with the search! :-)

twinklylights Wed 03-Sep-08 19:01:43

Have you tried good old ebay? I got a lovely one on there a couple of years ago in mint condition.

MadameOvary Wed 03-Sep-08 19:17:26

laurasmiles, thank you, I actually dont mind if its tatty!
Twinklylights, Yes, not really inspired tho, all too new and/or boring! grin

MadameOvary Sat 06-Sep-08 22:58:15

Anyone else got one they're not using? Prefer to buy from a MNetter than ebay...smile

mamado Sun 07-Sep-08 07:28:51

i've got one I've been meaning to ebay but not got round to. its not a usual style, but a big 'sling' bag with little stem print in raspberry....its about two years old and used about three times as its just too big for me!

I'll try and find a link to a similar one!

mamado Sun 07-Sep-08 07:49:40

here!

MadameOvary Sun 07-Sep-08 10:48:47

How much were you looking for mamado? And do you have CAT?

mamado Sun 07-Sep-08 12:56:59

I did set up CAT ages ago, so I presume it still works. The bag is pristine with dustbag except for a small mark on one bit of leather...so I was hoping for at least £60 or £70 on ebay. But to another mnetter....how about £55 including post?

OllieWollieWoo Sun 07-Sep-08 13:29:41

Don't want to to be rude to Mamado and interupt (so won't list all the details here) but I have one that I keep meaning to put on ebay thats the traditional Orla Kiey holdall shape (ie no long strap) with a small stem print if thats the style you - or another MN were after???

Know what you mean about the change in quality - I like the red flower blossom print one from her current range but its just not worth the price!

OllieWollieWoo Sun 07-Sep-08 13:39:04

Sorry - meant to say its the shoulder bag style in above message!

MadameOvary Sun 07-Sep-08 15:12:13

mamado would you mind CATing me with more pics?
OllieWollieWoo thanks - how old is yours and do you have pics? And how much were you looking for?

TheNaughtiestGirlIsaMonitor Sun 07-Sep-08 15:15:07

They're nice, I'd lvoe one, but I've never been able to afford one.

OllieWollieWoo Sun 07-Sep-08 15:37:07

The colour and print are like this (but would say the background is more cream than this pic shows):

here

But the measurements/shape are the same as this one:
here

I used it for about 3 months so would say its in good condition - a couple of smallish ink marks on the lining and a few other faint marks inside but nothing on the outside.

No idea re what to ask for (keeled over when I saw the bid for this one!!! here). 50 pounds plus postage sound ok?

MadameOvary Sun 07-Sep-08 15:44:02

OllieWollieWoo That would be fine if its one of the older ones? Do you remember when you bought it? Price is great, sorry to be fussy!

OllieWollieWoo Sun 07-Sep-08 15:51:18

Not fussy at all - I like details too!!! I brought it new off ebay about 18 months ago - have no idea re date tho. Is there anyway to tell??? Would hate for you to be disappointed.

Its got a magnetic clip and inside has one of those stretchy key fob things.

I have another one (which I still use) which I brought in 2005 and after a quick comparison, the red one up does seem to have a slightly thinner oil skin cover if that makes sense??? (Just asked DH to compare the two and he says there is no difference tho!!!!)

MadameOvary Sun 07-Sep-08 16:01:20

I think the type I am looking for dont have the stretchy key fob - does your 2005 one have them and would you like to sell it if not? Quite understand if not! smile

OllieWollieWoo Sun 07-Sep-08 16:06:15

No there is no key fob on and sorry I wouldn't like to sell it - purely cos I luv it so much (plum stem design) and DH brought it for me in Selfridges on our last day of living in London before we moved overseas so has sentimental value too! Hope you find one soon!

MadameOvary Sun 07-Sep-08 16:16:25

Oh it sounds lovely and of course you want to keep it with that sort of history. smile

onceinalifetime Sun 07-Sep-08 16:21:10

Sample sale coming up - they usually have older stock for sale.

Details from the website:

Autumn Sample Sale!!!
AMAZING REDUCTIONS ON PAST SEASON CLOTHING AND HANDBAGS!

Studio Voltaire,
1a Nelson’s Row
Clapham Common,
London,
SW4 7JR

THURS 11th September 11am – 7pm
FRI 12th September 11am – 7pm
SAT 13th September 11am – 6pm
SUN 14th September 11am – 4pm

PLEASE NOTE: Doors close 30 mins before closing time.

TERMS & CONDITIONS: Cash and Cards only (except Amex)
No eBay sellers welcome
No refunds
No exchanges
SOLD AS SEEN!!!

www.orlakiely.com/uk/?Newsletter

MadameOvary Sun 07-Sep-08 16:35:06

onceinalifetime - thanks but I am in Scotland sad Also from what OllieWollieWoo was saying I am looking for one at least three years old, do you think they might be that old?

onceinalifetime Sun 07-Sep-08 16:37:07

MadameOvary, maybe you can persuade a friendly South London mumsnetter to go for you grin. Warning - the first day is akin to a riot scene, elbows as weapons.

MadameOvary Sun 07-Sep-08 16:39:15

I bet! grin

onceinalifetime Sun 07-Sep-08 16:40:19

Needless to say, there's a flurry of activity on ebay shortly afterwards too!

MadameOvary Sun 07-Sep-08 18:27:57

OK maybe time to start a new thread...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now