Talk

Advanced search

Eviz makeover part 1: new photos up - comments please!

(36 Posts)
eviz Mon 01-Sep-08 22:59:25

Apologies for blatant self-marketing - but I am looking for all the help I can get!

Thanks to lovely Mn-ers who commented on my pics at the weekend, today I WENT SHOPPING and bought a couple of tops, new jeans and a few accessories.

And a new nursing bra too grin

Would welcome your opinions on my new stuff. Still not convinced on some of them. Don't really know what I'm doing. Really really struggling with colour.

Tags still on (most) of the clothes (but not the jeans) so, fellow MN-ers, YOU HAVE THE POWER!!

(PS is hair better up?)

WilfSell Mon 01-Sep-08 23:02:28

Oooh love the green and the brown one on you; purple OK, white not at all!

And actually, your hair looks great tied back - have you considered cutting it shorter?

sinkingfast Mon 01-Sep-08 23:05:44

Ooh fantastic!

Love your hair up.

No to purple top

Yes to teal top

Yes to Jane Norman top (my favourite on you)

No to white top

Love the pendant and scarf

For me, it's all about length with the tops - purple and white are too short, Jane Norman one is perfect length. Also purple top is wrong at the bottom.

IMVHO!

eviz Mon 01-Sep-08 23:06:00

Hi Wilf, thanks for your comments.

I've had my hair at all stages of short, and all cuts end up looking like the others - horizontal and unruly! I'm thinking maybe I should persevere with growing it longer, in the hope that the weight drags it into submission grin

Interesting re white - is it the cut or the colour that's wrong?

WilfSell Mon 01-Sep-08 23:07:29

It is too short, clings in the wrong places and the sleeves are not very flattering.

S1ur Mon 01-Sep-08 23:07:42

Love the Jane Norman outfit.

More like that I say, less clingy more styled.

It looks fabulous on you!

regularlyoverwhelmed Mon 01-Sep-08 23:09:03

you look great

think hair better up , but would do in sute chignon stylee thing rather than floppy tie up (couldn't think how to describe - sorry)

love the green top - colour fab on you - bu y more green

love the jeans, great colour, shape fab on you

purple top ok from side not so good from front, unless you LOVE it bring it back

I don't like that jane normal top AT ALL but that's just me , if you love it keep it, you look lovely anyway

like the sleeves on that whitish top, am thinking you need a bit more interest in your sleeves in general - i like sweeping sleeves, they can make a statement without being over the top

get some good knitwear - cardis in interesting shapes - I like ones that button on the top and drape open, with nice widish sleevs a draping down

maybe some wedge heeled boots instead of these heels but I am no expert on heels (or much else for that matter!)

get some cute skirts

think darker colours better, not VERY dark but the green is definately good. Stay away from pink. Try browns, and mix a little with silvery cloud colours, maybe a purpley heather? get some great lipstick, slap it on, smile, you look brilliant.

Can't believe you are 12 stone. God I wish I was taller!

blithedance Mon 01-Sep-08 23:09:04

Agree with WilfSell, but overally it's a great transformation. The jeans heels and top thing really looks good. You look really slim and funky.

Hair up is good too.

S1ur Mon 01-Sep-08 23:09:58

I agree with wilf. natch.

The white is too short and also because slightly clingy shows off your completely normal ever so slight post baby stomach.

Which the Jane norman one disappears.

Debenhams have some fab floaty tops that would be good, I have a look..

S1ur Mon 01-Sep-08 23:11:01

I think you need a few good skirts and second the good cardi suggestion.

regularlyoverwhelmed Mon 01-Sep-08 23:11:25

wouldn't cut your hair (I have similar and am trying to grow it out) yours is very pretty and just look what you can do by sweeping it up. Instant transformation.

But then I like a kind of retro look so the chignony thing is totally my cup of tea

sinkingfast Mon 01-Sep-08 23:12:31

Agree with RO about your hair - I didn't know how to put it either!

S1ur Mon 01-Sep-08 23:13:21

I think you'd suit quite bold colours, the white is not great and washes your gorgeous hair colour out a bit.

The green colour suited you.

WilfSell Mon 01-Sep-08 23:13:50

saw pannacottas comments on your other thread re boots...

I do think it's a particular look that we all do but is not terribly fashionable. I think were I more daring (rarely wear heels for daily stuff anyway) I'd chuck in some wedges or some glitzy ballet pumps or flipflops.

But am stumped for daily work shoes that aren't housewifey for those of us who can't wear heels all day...

Flamesparrow Mon 01-Sep-08 23:14:47

I like the teal grin

NomDePlume Mon 01-Sep-08 23:15:22

Purple bad

Green EXCELLENT

Cream a bit meh

Jane Norman top good (not a phrase I ever thought I'd type, tbh!)

eviz Mon 01-Sep-08 23:18:34

Thanks ladies. Will google how to do chignony thing grin

It took me and my mum from 10:30am until 6 to come up with those outfits. nearly killed me. Bloody hate shopping.

Skirts - yes! I would have but ran out of time. I'm thinking just below knee length - but - what to do on top? I would normally do skinny top.

And tights or not? Flat shoes or heels? I hate wearing shoes without tights or popsocks <hears stylish MN-ers groan>

Need to sort a cardi out too. Tried some on n Zara but were shapeless, colourless, hideous affairs.

regularlyoverwhelmed Mon 01-Sep-08 23:18:56

daily work wedges - fabulously comfy too

www.amazon.co.uk/Fly-London-Womens-P500037005-Regular/dp/B000YPSIPA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=shoes&qid=1 220307383&sr=8-7
www.amazon.co.uk/Fly-London-Womens-Black-P140810007/dp/B000YPWM02/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=shoes&qid=122 0307383&sr=8-5

there are many more styles

I'd get some fly wedges - brilliant with cute skirts and some funky tights and wonderful under jeans - avoids that awful heel to make me look taller thingy we all do and just looks quite funky (imVho)

sinkingfast Mon 01-Sep-08 23:21:11

I've got those first Fly wedges and they're great - go with pretty much anything.

regularlyoverwhelmed Mon 01-Sep-08 23:22:06

yes, aline skirt just below knee length
nice drapey wrap around top in plain colour if skirt has pattern
if plain skirt get patterned top if you like, fairly fitted, wraparound if so desired
nice cardi, not long if wearing over skirts, maybe even a shrug type affair (hmm, maybe)

tights, of course. jewel colours. mmm, love it already

regularlyoverwhelmed Mon 01-Sep-08 23:25:42

ooh, just remembered - asymmetrical length skirts great too for those of us (like you I suspect) who feel uncomfortable wearing anything too fussy or outlandish but want to look a bit funky and stylish

mind you I am still trying to relace the one I bought years ago and spilt bleach on recently - was my staple with crocheted tights and highish wedge boots

NomDePlume Mon 01-Sep-08 23:28:32

don't go for hankerchief hems. YEUCH You'll look like cinders pre-ball

Gobbledigook Mon 01-Sep-08 23:30:55

I like the second, greeny blue top the best.

THe first one - I love the colour but I think you need to hitch it up a bit at the bottom rather than it being pulled right down.

Hair up is nice.

Gobbledigook Mon 01-Sep-08 23:31:37

The Jane Norman top, to me, looks cheap but it's a flattering shape.

Cream top does nothing for you.

regularlyoverwhelmed Mon 01-Sep-08 23:31:57

not hankerchief hems, more well scupted asymmetric hems, maybe three panels in a good stiff fabric. Well, I like them and I am sticking to that. I must be the only one though as I can't find another one for love or money grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now