Talk

Advanced search

I've just brought something I vowed I never would....

(24 Posts)
OllieWollieWoo Mon 01-Sep-08 14:20:15

Shoes for DS1 with flashing lights! Oh dear.........

Is their a Mumsnet stance on this??

(In my defence we don't live in the UK, choice is terrible, found Geox ones which look very cute from the front, am hoping flashing light battery gives out after 6 weeks!!!!)

Mamazon Mon 01-Sep-08 14:21:58

put them through the wash..it'll kill 'em.

I woudl resist but im sure both of mine would love flashy light shoes.
Iguess they are good for winter evenings crossing the road

Nbg Mon 01-Sep-08 14:23:21

They're ok.
And washing them doesnt work.
I accidentaly slipped one of ds's into the wash and it still works now.

RedHead81 Mon 01-Sep-08 14:24:59

I bought DS some flashing slippers once - he kept stamping all the time to make them flash more and fell over more because he was more interested in looking at the lights and not looking where he was going! lol

VinegarTits Mon 01-Sep-08 14:27:48

Whats wrong with flashy lights shoes? i wanted some for me grin

solidgoldbrass Mon 01-Sep-08 14:29:34

DS has had a few pairs of them. Partly because they annoy the crap out of his father who thinks they are 'chavvy'. I think they are fun.

twoluvlykids Mon 01-Sep-08 14:31:20

my ds loved his when he was younger,dd very upset coz they didn't make them for girls then. i think they're harmless fun (apart from the falling over,of course)

Laweezil Wed 03-Sep-08 23:41:35

flashing shoes rock!!!! I agree with VinegarTits!!!

worzella Wed 03-Sep-08 23:43:15

Are they the Geox Spiderman like ones? My Ds has those and I think they're great!

tortoiseshell Wed 03-Sep-08 23:50:17

I vowed no flashing, but ended up with them last year, and they're ok. Ds1 has flashing ones again this year, dd's don't flash. Her's were quite nice last year - purple lights. But the shoes ended up falling to pieces after 10 months hard wear, and the wires were hanging out of the heel...not good!

Overmydeadbody Wed 03-Sep-08 23:52:46

Children love flashing shoes!

Smoetimes it is more important to let your kids have their choice rather than enforce your own preferences on them, so I don't tihnk you did anything wrong!

Besides, thewy grow out of them grin

Califrau Thu 04-Sep-08 00:48:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnotherFineMess Thu 04-Sep-08 00:51:35

I wish flashing shoes had been invented when I was little...

...we just had to paint our feet black and lace our toes together.

AbricotsSecs Thu 04-Sep-08 01:02:30

Message withdrawn

TooTiredToday Thu 04-Sep-08 02:28:17

but they do set off airport xray security...
DS had to be 'done' with a hand held scanner, and so wore flip flops on way home!

AnnVan Thu 04-Sep-08 02:55:45

Wht's the general opinion on heelies? I personally hate them cos of how many times I've neaely been bowled right over by pre-teen girls zooming round the supermarket.

mummyfantastico Thu 04-Sep-08 03:04:12

Heelies are awful, I'm sure they must be pretty bad for feet and kids in them don't seem to look where they're going.
I really wish I could have a pair though blush

mangolassi Thu 04-Sep-08 05:16:36

Lights are okay, we're also not in the UK and ended up with squeaky shoes once. Fortunately it took dp about 10 minutes to find the squeak and disable it.

We're so far from the UK I don't even know what heelies are

sakurarose39 Thu 04-Sep-08 05:33:17

Heelies are shoes with little wheels in the heels, so you can sort of skid along on the heel of your foot...they were trendy here in Japan a few years ago, and I noticed quite a few kids wearing them in supermarkets in the UK over the summer when we were visiting.
Can't abide them, meself, death-traps, shouldn't be allowed, in my day...blah, blah (grumbly old woman emoticon) grin

mangolassi Thu 04-Sep-08 05:41:19

Skid along on the heel of your foot? Skid straight onto your arse, no? Perhaps a blessing I'm too old to try them...

Round here showing knees and/ or shoulders is considered edgy and not polite, so I don't think I'll have tweenies on heelies interrupting my shopping for another couple of decades!

tjacksonpfc Thu 04-Sep-08 06:07:52

heelies are deadly my niece got bought a pair over the summer she had lept on about them and her parents kept saying no then her brother went on holida with school so they gave in and bought her some. she had them on for 10 mins went in a shop put the wheel bit up so they were trainers and the wheel came down again and she slipped dislocating and fracturing her ankle it was so sever when she went to a and e she immediatly had to go nad have and op and have the ankle manipulated they thought about pinning it but luckily it didnt need that so her holidays were spent in plaster abover her knee and she has now had it reduced to below her knee. i certainly wont be buying my dcs them luckily they arent old enough yet.

Buda Thu 04-Sep-08 06:34:52

DS has had numerous pairs of flashing shoes. Not by choice usually - sometimes all that Clarks had that fitted him. They don't bother me. Last year he got flashing ones in preference to the ones with toys in that I refused to buy. This year he had ones with toys but the toys were taken out on day 1 and he seems to have forgotten about them.

mangolassi - I used to live in Asia and remember those squeaky shoes - hideous!

Heelies a no-no in this house.

DonutMum Thu 04-Sep-08 06:37:26

Flashing lights - yay!

Heelies - boo!

watsthestory Thu 04-Sep-08 07:07:22

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now