Talk

Advanced search

Could this dress be made into a prom dress for Dd1 ??

(11 Posts)
IllegallyBrunette Sun 31-Aug-08 22:21:11

It is my bridesmaid dress that I wore last week. The bride doesn't want it back and doesn't care what I do with it.

Dd1 asked if she could wear it for her junior school prom next year when she is 11.

The dress is a size 12 and was altered to fit height of 5'2.

Dd1 is skinny so probably a 6 or less, but only a bit shorter than me.

Could it be altered ? I was thinking the bust part may be a problem, as dd1 doesn't have a bust.

Also, any ideas about the cost of having the alterations done ?

Oh, pic of dress on profile.

DontNeedAnything Sun 31-Aug-08 22:24:53

I would say take it to a dressmaker and ask for aquote.

Chances are it will be cheaper than buying a new dress.

chapstickchick Sun 31-Aug-08 22:24:55

its such a beautiful dress i dont think id want it altered it might make an ideal prom dress for when she graduates from secondary school......if it were me id buy her a prom dress for juniors.

IllegallyBrunette Sun 31-Aug-08 22:26:52

Good point chapstick, but will she still like it then ?? It could be really unfashioanble or something by then.

I don't know any dressmakers at all so would have to ask around.

kormachameleon Sun 31-Aug-08 22:27:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IllegallyBrunette Sun 31-Aug-08 22:29:47

That sounds good, although is probably the maximum I could pay, although my mum said she'd contribute.

IllegallyBrunette Sun 31-Aug-08 22:30:35

I'd probably have the train sash thing altered so that it wasn't floor length though, as it caused no end of problems when I wore it as everyone kept standing on it.

Jackstini Sun 31-Aug-08 22:34:18

Looks to be possible but would wait until next year - she may change her mind 6 times before then! grin (And probably her body too).

chapstickchick Sun 31-Aug-08 22:35:53

£50 would buy a beautiful dress for a junior prom grin

IllegallyBrunette Sun 31-Aug-08 22:36:22

Oh that is a very real possibility Jackstini.

Toxday she was telling me what she wanted for xmas, and she changed her mind twice before she finnished the sentence grin

IllegallyBrunette Sun 31-Aug-08 22:37:43

LOL Chapstick.

She may well decide she'd rather do that anyway tbh. Although she knows that the dress originally cost £150 and I think she thinks it will mean she will be the best dressed one there if she wears it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now