Talk

Advanced search

Has Anyone Else Had A Wardrobe De-Clutter???

(22 Posts)
OllieWollieWoo Sun 31-Aug-08 20:27:01

Blimey! Had a major clear out of my wardrobe today but instead of pulling everything out, holding it up and thinking "hmm, I still really like that",then putting it back in'the 'keep' pile, I actually made myself try most things on!

So...........now have an enormous pile of clothes ready for friends, charity, fancy dress etc etc! Since when did my t shirts and tops get so short and no longer meet the top of my jeans thus displaying large chunks of wobbly tummy? I kept imagining Trinny & Susannah standing there with me, touching boobs and bum in inappropritae manner and ended up being quite ruthless. Now actually feel quite smug with myself - so will now spend rest of evening online to find replacements for said items of clothing!

Cannot believe I have kept so much stuff which I never wore purely cos I never tried it on and realised how shocking it looked!

Lauriefairycake Sun 31-Aug-08 20:29:48

I have twenty bags of clothes in the loft. I made the mistake last week of asking dh to get me 4 down so I could go through them.

I have one bag to sell/give away and about 3 bags not good enough to sell but are now "clothes to be cut up for craft projects and rag rugging"

These craft projects are now in bags in the loft once again to be forgotten in the mists of time hmm

maidamess Sun 31-Aug-08 20:31:25

yes, hither

badgermonkey Sun 31-Aug-08 20:31:32

I love decluttering! Every spring and autumn I put away out-of-season clothes and get the other stuff out of storage, and I find that the perfect time to cull things that need chucking. If I haven't worn it since I got it out, for example, it can safely go in the charity bag.

It feels good to only have stuff you know fits you and is nice, though!

maidamess Sun 31-Aug-08 20:32:16

Laurie...chuck'em out! I feel hemmed in just thinking of all that crap craft potential in your loft!

OllieWollieWoo Sun 31-Aug-08 20:33:34

Never thought of using craft projects as a reason to justify keeping clothes - will make a note of that one Lauriefairycake! (OllieWollieWoo scrurries off to re-claim items from charity bags!!!)

littlelapin Sun 31-Aug-08 20:35:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

expatinscotland Sun 31-Aug-08 20:37:22

i cull regularly.

just dropped two bin bags full of stuff in the textile recycling bin today.

i have let go of everything i was wearing before i got pregnant with dd2.

my shape will never be the same, time to let go.

fishie Sun 31-Aug-08 20:39:21

beware though, i got rid of some really nice stuff in a fit of postnatal fatness. if you are in major life transition then try to store it somewhere before jettisoning. ditto hair. well not store it, but not chop off in fit.

OllieWollieWoo Sun 31-Aug-08 20:39:34

Saw your link Maidamess - but have yet to buy anything new for Autumn/Winter except this cardi from Next (much better in RL)

here

Oh yes, got a nice fitted black shirt with 3/4 sleeves and ribbon round waist from M&S for 9 pounds - but thats it so far. Will watch your thread with interest!

littlelapin Sun 31-Aug-08 20:53:30

expatinscotland Sun 31-Aug-08 21:55:59

it's a hard thing to do, ll. i've been there myself.

my waist will never be the same again. my thighs will never be that slim again.

things have just settled in a different place.

sad

littlelapin Sun 31-Aug-08 22:05:28

expatinscotland Sun 31-Aug-08 22:09:47

ah, see, ll, i did when i was! i reveled in it. i knew no matter what, it wouldn't last.

i was a climber and yogi and fit and lithe. i had a tan from about april on from outdoor sports. i used to wear cute sandals with ankle bracelets and skirts about two inches above the knee and sundresses and sleeveless tops to show off my buff upper arms.

i wore a UK size 6 with 36C boobs. i used to have my hair cut every 6 weeks and highlighted every 12.

life was very, very good .

littlelapin Sun 31-Aug-08 22:40:32

expatinscotland Sun 31-Aug-08 22:43:44

i used it all to slap to my heart's content .

expatinscotland Sun 31-Aug-08 22:44:15

now i look like death warmed up.

littlelapin Sun 31-Aug-08 22:45:03

expatinscotland Sun 31-Aug-08 22:51:15

being a randy young thing helped me .

littlelapin Sun 31-Aug-08 22:56:48

expatinscotland Sun 31-Aug-08 22:59:38

oh, no, i didn't go out for beefy types. too beaucoup. i always preferred the lean, tall, sinewy outdoor types - most had 6 packs, though.

littlelapin Sun 31-Aug-08 23:04:34

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now