Talk

Advanced search

Am being lazy and MNetters are so much better at this than me: work dresses

(27 Posts)
lilolilmanchester Sat 30-Aug-08 22:57:27

Have posted before about how I can never get trousers to fit me these days. Need some work outfits. Skirts ok, but find that dresses work best and are a lot easier. Need a couple of new ones.
I am 5'4", size 14 so need to hide the bulges. Need to look professional. Had my colours done years ago, suit autumnal shades best but can get away with black. Budget: would go up to £100 for something that blew me away and I could wear for high profile functions but would prefer nearer £50. Thanks.

maidamess Sat 30-Aug-08 22:58:18

I was in Monsoon today and saw some lovely dresses. Hang on, I'll have a quick nose at their site.

maidamess Sat 30-Aug-08 22:59:49

this is lovely in the flesh and you could layer with long sleeved black top and high black boots. Yowza!

maidamess Sat 30-Aug-08 23:01:21

love the colour of this. with tights and mary janes

maidamess Sat 30-Aug-08 23:01:45

They do petite in Monsoon too. I'm not a rep, promise.

lilolilmanchester Sat 30-Aug-08 23:24:12

Thanks Maidamess. I like the styles of both dresses, but I don't suit raspberry or that shade of blue. Styles perfect tho.

lilolilmanchester Sun 31-Aug-08 17:01:57

bump

JackieNo Sun 31-Aug-08 17:08:26

I rather like this, but not sure about silk for everyday - good for posher occasions, though.

JackieNo Sun 31-Aug-08 17:14:08

Maybe?
I love the shape of this but the neckline would work best with minimal norkage.
Lovely, I think, and you could swap the tie belt for a leather one, to harden it up a bit, iyswim.

batters Sun 31-Aug-08 17:15:35

ooh I love the Monsoon shawl dress.

Monsoon sizes very big too, reckon you could fit into a 12 or even 10!

lilolilmanchester Sun 31-Aug-08 17:32:08

Thanks JackieNo (you've helped me with style stuff before). I wouldn't go with dry clean dresses for work cos of expense/practiciality. I like the chocolate brown dress for special occasions, the oasis one for special occasions. Norks are 38C - and I prefer a slightly lower neckline (but not so low that you can see my boobs/too much cleavage for work)

JackieNo Sun 31-Aug-08 17:32:37

Is this autumnal enough, or too red?
In fact, if you can do black, Kew has some nice looking ones.

JackieNo Sun 31-Aug-08 17:33:26

Yes - know what you mean about dry clean stuff - I never bother either.

JackieNo Sun 31-Aug-08 17:37:30

Would you wear pattern? (not quite sure what colour that is, though)

colette Sun 31-Aug-08 17:38:31

The red kew one is lovely. Looks very flattering as well

lilolilmanchester Sun 31-Aug-08 17:42:10

the Kew dresses look promising. Do you know if you can get them anywhere other than online so I can try on? I can do patterns, although think that pattern might be a bit big but would definitely give it a try. Thanks very much, these are more along the lines of things I would wear.

JackieNo Sun 31-Aug-08 17:42:22

This might work (but I can't see the detail, so you'd have to see it in the flesh).

JackieNo Sun 31-Aug-08 17:43:02

I think Kew have shops. Not sure where though.

lilolilmanchester Sun 31-Aug-08 17:43:44

oh yes, the M&S one looks lovely, although perhaps a bit short (i prefer dresses/skirts just below the knee or calf length.)

lilolilmanchester Sun 31-Aug-08 17:44:26

see, this is why you have to ask MN - I wouldn't have known about kew otherwise and their stuff looks lovely.

JackieNo Sun 31-Aug-08 17:44:44

I was hoping that as you were around the same height as me, it might be a bit longer on you than on the modelgrin.
Kew Store Locator.

JackieNo Sun 31-Aug-08 17:49:40

Again not sure of the colour - looks reddish, but says purple, so maybe not right for you.

JackieNo Sun 31-Aug-08 17:52:32

OH yes, there's always Bodenwink. (though their wraps can be a bit low, and you may need to put a camisole underneath for work).

lilolilmanchester Sun 31-Aug-08 17:52:49

Thanks again, I think the colours in teh Wallis dress would be ok, and the style is perfect, but the patterns are perhaps a bit too big for me. I've gotta go now, please don't give too much of your valuable time looking for me unless you're enjoying it! Bye for now.

JackieNo Sun 31-Aug-08 17:53:55

NO problem - I need to go and cook dinnergrin. Hope you find some stuff you lovesmile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now