Talk

Advanced search

Looking for flattering maxi dress on a budget - please help.

(15 Posts)
SecondMrsDeWinter Sat 30-Aug-08 21:18:02

I'm on a tight budget as not back at work yet & I need a dress for ds's christening in a fortnight!! I am a size 14, 5'9" with a mummy middle & would love a maxi dress that doesn't cost the earth or make me look like a jelly baby. Does such a thing exist??

SecondMrsDeWinter Sat 30-Aug-08 21:19:29

Forgot to mention - I do own a fantastic, all in one, magic knicker type underwear thing which would help with the jelly babyness grin

SecondMrsDeWinter Sat 30-Aug-08 22:44:06

Anyone??

minorbird Sat 30-Aug-08 22:46:27

Is a maxi dress one of those with a square neck, tight waist and to the knee? There are loads of gorgeous dresses in jane norman at the moment... I have two guilty purchases in the wardrobe. They're around £40 but look far more expensive. smile

maidamess Sat 30-Aug-08 22:47:10

Hmm.
You're probably not going to like this, but a maxi dress for a christening?

I've had a look at a couple online and they either look like full length evening frocks or beachy cover ups.

What about some sassy separates?

minorbird Sat 30-Aug-08 22:50:15

Ah, I completely got it wrong then. What about one of those floaty material dresses with a band under the boobs and it flares down. Again, theres a larvley yellow and black one in jane norman... hmm yellow for a christening tho... hmm

maidamess Sat 30-Aug-08 22:50:46

as you are tall you could carry off this print and to me its not too'maxi'

maidamess Sat 30-Aug-08 22:51:37

more brightly cloured. I think its the halter necked ones that could look wrong for a christening imo

lilolilmanchester Sat 30-Aug-08 22:52:41

maidamess, that dress is gorgeous

lilolilmanchester Sat 30-Aug-08 22:53:25

(was talking about your first link, second one ok but personally prefer the black & white)

maidamess Sat 30-Aug-08 22:54:13

Yes its nice that b and w one. Not too maxi-ish. Would look great with flats or wedges.

minorbird Sat 30-Aug-08 22:58:53

And a little black top hat, maybe not... (Been reading too much heat!) grin

SecondMrsDeWinter Sat 30-Aug-08 22:59:46

Oooo, those are lovely ta. Needs to be maxi as my legs are pure white & I bruise really easily abd constantly bang into teh stair gate getting up for night feeds lol. So need to be covered but want to feely prettier than a pant suit! You can dress a maxi up with nice shoes & jewelrey though.

maidamess Sat 30-Aug-08 23:03:50

Yes ,you are right ,you can dress it up. If I see anymore, I'll post.

SecondMrsDeWinter Sat 30-Aug-08 23:14:34

Thanks maidamess. I'm looking at a few on e bay too. Just waiting to see how long they are as I think you either have to go floor, calf or knee as anything in between just looks like its too small for me!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now