Talk

Advanced search

mineral makeup - anybody tried it

(23 Posts)
Sibble Thu 28-Aug-08 21:23:01

OK - I use paraben free everything, eat organic where and when I can but still pile Estee Lauder onto my face....in my quest for I don't know what I want to try mineral make-up. I need new blusher and eye shadows. Has anybody tried some brands - reviews good and bad please!!!

suedonim Thu 28-Aug-08 23:06:52

Bump - I want to know about this, too! smile

organicminerals Fri 29-Aug-08 04:41:09

Here are some reviews of an organic mineral line that I like at carefreebeauty.eu

http://carefreebeauty.blogspot.com/

Sibble Fri 29-Aug-08 05:55:01

Thanks - some interesting info.

hopefully Fri 29-Aug-08 10:11:34

The Green Beauty Bible has some mineral make up recommendations - worth a browse (make up section towards the back) if you're in waterstones...

suedonim Fri 29-Aug-08 11:19:26

I saw some Bare Escentuals starter kits in the US and wish I'd bought one now as they were so cheap compared to the UK. But I couldn't see how you'd choose your colour, they had no guidance or testers.

WobblyPig Fri 29-Aug-08 11:21:07

Bare escentuals are fabulous. Got mine in US where they are half the price. Would never go back to liquid foundation now.

WobblyPig Fri 29-Aug-08 11:22:26

Also use the blush and bronzer too.

Elmosgirl Fri 29-Aug-08 11:23:46

I have used it...tried Lilly Lolo which is online, was great and you can order small tester pots before committing to see if you like it.

Currently using Maybeline (sp?) which I also have had no problems with.

Sibble Fri 29-Aug-08 20:57:22

I wanted to swap as thought it would be less full of chemicals etc...but reading the first link it seems that that's not always the case. I'm in NZ so have seen ID minerals (I think) and Bare Essentials. It's the lack of testers and guessing the colours that's an issue as you say suedonim. Think I might give it a go though with the eyeshadow and blusher to start. Although last time I bought I was going to swap then got caught in the Estee Lauder buy 2 products get freebies which is so hard to walk past - such a good marketing ploy smile

Califrau Fri 29-Aug-08 21:02:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

suedonim Fri 29-Aug-08 21:37:36

Sephora, Cali. Amazon.com sell them too.

Sibble, a local beautician told me lots of the minerals stuff sold by cosmetics companies who've jumped on the bandwagon is almost as full of talc and other 'undesirables' as normal make-up. Bare Escentuals is the original, I believe.

MrsSprat Fri 29-Aug-08 21:44:09

Yes, Sephora. Bare Minerals have been having a lot of my money lately. It's growing on me (thankfully!). The black-clad friendly Sephora ninja ladies are very obliging on colour-matching services. That is one dangerous shop.

I hear on the grapevine that Selfridges have opened a Bare Escentuals counter too.

Bewilderbeast Fri 29-Aug-08 21:54:41

The Maybelline one is god awful, don't waste your money!

slug Sat 30-Aug-08 15:33:36

Second the Lilly Lolo, if only for the cheap tester pots.

FluffyMummy123 Sat 30-Aug-08 15:34:44

Message withdrawn

I've used this every day for nearly 2 years now and I'm still on my first pot, is amazing and factor 15 too, apparently so good for your skin you can sleep in it!

Provided you take all your other make up off, I guess hmm

Worth every penny imo.

JackieNo Sat 30-Aug-08 15:52:58

I like the Lily Lolo stuff - have been using it for a fair while now. YOu have to put it on right - not in the way you would ordinary powder - kind of polish it into the skin with a big brush. But it seems to work better on combination to oily skins - can look too powdery on dry skins.

JackieNo Sat 30-Aug-08 15:53:45

Lily Lolo.

bran Sat 30-Aug-08 16:02:42

Your link just brings up a search page WTWTW, what's the product that you use?

I tried Lily Lolo tester pots but it was very powdery on me and made me look older, but then I have very dry skin.

The Bare Escentuals looks better on but the coverage isn't great, I look as though I'm not wearing make-up but a bit healthier than usual. I came with a cream which is a primer before putting the powder on and that was horrible stuff, it really made my skin sore but my usual moisturiser seems to work just as well without the pain.

here

Bloody links, hang on.

here

Comes in other shades, can get it from QVC or John Lewis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now